Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

DIY: Remove Sliding Door Interior Panels

23K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  h4ldol 
#1 ·
Recommended Tools:The procedure is the same for both Left & Right doors. If you have automatic sliding doors, Turn off the automatic switch (on left side above driver's kick panel). Next open the door and remove the small screw by the driver's door handleThat was the easy part. Next pop out the window switch on the panel. It is held by two clips. Insert the trim removal tool and push it up, it will easily pop out. The pic shows the reverse side to give you an idea of those clips The door panel is held by a total of 13 clips (marked by red circles) to the door. There is very little space to grab the trim towards the rear so dont try. That part will easily come off once the other three sides are unanchored (top, bottom, front). Keeping the door half-way (or fully open), start by pulling from near the door handle and you will hear a pop (clip disengaging). Next move down, same side and continue to pull, gently but firmly. You can actually see the clips behind the trim. Use the trim removal tool to pop those out. Then you have to decide which side to tackle. I actually went to the top, pulled half way so the top two clips popped. With the panel a bit loose, I then pulled from below to remove the bottom clips and then with the door almost close, pulled from the rear to get the panel out. You will need to keep moving the sliding door to decide what works best for you. Once the panel is out, check if any clips are still on the door. Remove them and put them in the panel. The clips have tiny rubber gaskets so be careful with them Now for the fun part. The inner door skin is pretty cramped with cables, motor mechanism etc. The weather shield (plastic cover) can only be removed from one spot unless you have very tiny hands/arms or are comfortable removing additional stuff from the door I stuck in some Rattlemat whatever my arms could reach. If you drop anything inside the door it will be a Royal PITA to retrieve it. Anyways, with all the stuff on the door, I am not sure you need to do any sound proofing on this door. If I could see this before opening, I wouldn't have done it. However it is good to know and look at the mechanism for the sliding door, just in case. Before you decide to put it back, plug in the window switch, enable the power door switch and test that the door opens/closes with all combos (child lock, manual, auto). All check the window by rolling it up & down. Assembly is pretty simple. Line up the panel with the window and gradually start pushing in the clips. Start from the front and push one pin in so it can anchor. Then line up everything and try. If you feel resistance, open the door and try to see if the clip lines with the hole. If not you may have to prod it a little otherwise it will break when you push. Good luck

See less See more
#7 ·
This post is from seven years ago but thanks for it, as a result of reading it I decided to forget about installing Dynamat in the sliding door. Saved some money and from the looks of it, a lot of trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.