Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Aftermarket 6x9 front speaker fitment issue

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hanyoung 
#1 ·
This is a repost from toyotanation, but thought I'd give it a shot over here too!

Recently put in JL Audio C2 6x9s into the front speaker location. I could not find any 6x9 Toyota speaker adaptors, so I removed the stock speaker and put the JL speaker in the stock bracket. It fit into the door perfectly, and the JL has a bit of thickness where I screwed into the bracket, allowing the windows to roll down fully.

Unfortunately the door panel itself has a lip where the 6x9 speaker is. This is a non-JBL model. The profile of the C2 is slightly wider than the original speaker profile. I think that this is where I'm having trouble putting the door panel on, as the top of the panel fits snugly, but the bottom part of the panel where the speaker is does not snap closed. I tried cutting the lip down with shears, but still having issues. My next step is either to:

1. Grind down the plastic flush with a dremel
or
2. Get 6.5 speakers and 6.5 adapters.

ddcha has had good luck with his 6x9 spacer adapters, unfortunately they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I also wonder if some of this is the C2 design. Interestingly the speakers are nicer, but I'm certainly not blown away. Makes me consider adding an amp to power, rather than the stock Entune/Nav unit.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just use he original bracket. Destroy the OEM speaker and remove the veins on the brackets on the back side. I used a metal cutting shears along with a file to smooth every thing.
You will need to trim the speaker cover on the door backside as well. The plastic is very soft. Use a heavy knife with new blades and trim it flush with the door panel

#8 ·
Those are damn expensive. The brackets on the OEM's are easier to hack and provide more depth (1.5") than these (1").
Maybe that's the exact problem hanyoung has. He seems to have problems with the face of the speaker not allowing the inside door trim to pop back in. Maybe that half inch will fix that? I agree that the tacotunes one is expensive. They also have 1" MDF ones that are $25 a pair.
http://shop.tacotunes.com/Tacoma-Speaker-Installation-Front-Door-Mounts-6x9-1-MDF-TACO-69F-M.htm

#9 ·
Shaved them flush and they work. You do have to be perfectly flush though, and I used a sharp utility blade to do so (the plastic is fairly soft). If I had to redo, I would go with the OEM speaker brackets as well. I would also use a sound deadener at the same time, as I think the OEM sound deadener at least on the XLE is pretty poor. Did a 500 mile trip this weekend, and a lot of wind noise in the compartment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.