Door check strap in Repair Manual

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door check strap in Repair Manual

tcp
    Devoted Member

Door check strap in Repair Manual

I found this picture in the door part of the repair manual in another thread. How many people actually have those bolts holding the cup in place? They're all spot welded, I thought. Maybe they should have been bolts in the first place. This is in the 2004 repair manual. Very strange...

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: Door check strap in Repair Manual

I just checked and mine are both just like the drawing, complete with studs and nuts and bolt. I would be surprised if a component like this were welded in.

tcp
    Devoted Member

Did you have the TSB done on them? I had the driver's side done when it started creaking, but the passenger side is still original, with two spot welds holding the cup inside.

Isn't this the same part discussed here:

http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,48.0.html

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp
    I just checked and mine are both just like the drawing, complete with studs and nuts and bolt. I would be surprised if a component like this were welded in.

Supporting Member

I have not had anything done to this part, as far as I know. There was a plate somewhere replaced due to rattling, but it was not described as the door check strap, I understood it to be a cracked striker plate, and I didn't see it.

Looking at the TSB, the "Door Check" itself is mounted by two studs and nuts. The spot-welded part is the "Door Check Mounting Panel", which is a part of the sheet metal of the door structure - that I would expect to be welded. The "cup" which is welded is the larger sheet metal panel component; the part which is bolted into it is a box-shaped component inside the door, from which the "strap" itself protrudes.

I went back out to our Sienna to look with this extra understanding, and confirmed that the panel (which could be called a cup) is still firmly spot-welded in each door - there is no evidence of any repair or replacement.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements