spare donut wheel and tire Sienna AWD (tested)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: spare donut wheel and tire Sienna AWD (tested)

spare donut wheel and tire Sienna AWD (tested)

***Thread summary***
    Acquired from Toyota the compact spare tire+rim for the LE AWD. The rim part is special order part# (same part as the 2011 FWD) and fits properly on both front and back with test drive. Mounted this on front or back wheel and the car seems to drive fine (up to 80km) on a 1km test run (tried both front and back). Surprisingly no warning lights came on (AWD, traction control, etc.). Hard acceleration and stops seem okay too (and without ABS kicking in). If the spare is in the front there is a bit of pulling on one side (as expected) while hard braking.

original tires: RFT 235/55/18
    spare tire: T155/80R17

I hope not to have to run on this setup, but this is probably better than no spare (the full-size wheel skits vertical takes up half the trunk). The manual on page 703 also says that the compact spare might damage the AWD mechanism. The compact-spare does fit almost flat on the bottom (fully inflated) behind the third row.

Called Toyota Canada and they say the donut spare tire runs fine on the 2011 Sienna AWD; just don't run on it for extended periods. Receipt showing donut rim part number is in a later post below.

This costs (Canadian$) $130rim+$146tire+$20mount+tax=~$334. All parts from Toyota Canada.

The spare tires on Siennas do NOT have TPMS on them.

This particular setup is quite compact (as you can see from pictures below) occupying only 8" of trunk space. Compare this with putting a full-size tire in the trunk -- you will find that the full-size tire will have to be in the trunk *upright* which means you lose about half of your trunk space (totally unusable). Note that the trunk is a bit shorter than the previous model, whereas in the previous model the full-size tire can go into the trunk flat.

Aside: if you are thinking of buying the spare wheel+tire from an older vehicle for use on 2011 Sienna, you may consider the older generation Sienna (but 2007 and later according to dealership info; note that I have already tried 2005 model whose rim does *not* fit; or maybe from another similar vehicle such as Highlander). But even from the older vehicle (pre-2007 Sienna) the tire can be used on 2011+ Sienna.

Aside: the full wheel+tire *cannot* fit flat in the 2011 trunk (can only go in vertically so is not really an option) mainly because of the larger tire and shorter trunk in 2011 (see pics from the third page of this thread). But if you are driving the 2nd generation Sienna (2004-2010) then there are reports that the full tire+rim does fit flat in the trunk.

NOTE: there are some pictures posted in this thread, but you will need to create an account and log in in order to see them.

======================================

Original post:

FYI... if you are thinking about getting the spare tire in the AWD model, this is useful if you are running on a non-RF set.

I managed to get a spare 17" tire from a 2005 Sienna
    -the spare tire is about 1" shorter in diameter than the main tire
    -the spare tire won't fit flat behind the third row. If you tilt it upwards a bit it will sit at an angle
    -the spare tire from a 2005 Sienna will *not* fit in the 2011 Sienna due to the size of the larger brake caliper (tried this in both front and back), even though the tire itself is the same as the Sienna. The dealer says that there are 3 different spare-tire rims made by Toyota, each one for a different model.
    -the spare tire+rim costs around $300 from the dealer

I'm still looking for the mounting kit for the spare tire. Anybody have a picture of how it is mounted behind the third row?
    Last edited by wongyun; 09-23-2013 at 12:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: spare wheel sienna AWD

funny my full size spare fits beind the 3rd row? do you have yours in a trash bacg and are putting it beind the 2seat section you can see the curved area where it is made to fit? I have a 2006?
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

to: komondor,

I also have a 2006, its an AWD, could you please post a picture of how your spare in trunk looks like ?
    I am thinking of getting a set of non RFT. the RFT are too expensive..

Thank you

Supporting Member

I believe that wongyun has a 2011 Sienna, and thus the location of this topic (in the 3rd Generation section) and the challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by wongyun
    -the spare tire is about 1" shorter in diameter than the main tire
    ... because all stock normal (non-spare, whether regular or run-flat) 2011 tires are about 1" taller in overall diameter than stock normal 2004-2010 tires, and the 2005 spare is sized to match 2005 stock normal tires. A spare from a 2WD 2011 would presumably match all 2011 stock normal tires.... if you can find one used already.

-the spare tire won't fit flat behind the third row. If you tilt it upwards a bit it will sit at an angle
    Toyota apparently planned to offer second-generation Siennas in AWD without run-flats by putting the spare behind the third row. Since they never did offer that combination, and presumably did not include this combination in the requirements of the 2011 body re-design, they may have reduced the space available so that a spare no longer fits properly.... bummer.

If this is true, that means even a 2WD 2011 Sienna owner will have a somewhat less convenient situation if they get a flat on the road, as the normal-size flat tire won't go underneath in the spare location properly (it's too wide), and will apparently no longer fit nicely in the well behind the third row seats.

-the spare tire from a 2005 Sienna will *not* fit in the 2011 Sienna due to the size of the larger brake caliper (tried this in both front and back), even though the tire itself is the same as the Sienna. The dealer says that there are 3 different spare-tire rims made by Toyota, each one for a different model.
    This is a great detail to know! Caliper clearance is a wheel issue, not a tire issue.

to: komondor,

I also have a 2006, its an AWD, could you please post a picture of how your spare in trunk looks like ?
    I am thinking of getting a set of non RFT. the RFT are too expensive..

Thank you

Sure I will take a pic when I get home too dark in the morning
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

Okay I finally took the pics and here they are. When fully inflated the tire does not sit flat but a flat tire probably would.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

It's too bad that the same tire that fits in the -2010 Sienna won't fit behind the third row of the 2011. The length is short by about 3", partially due to the intruding supports for the third row seats -- so the full-size tire will take up the entire left side sitting upright. Even the compact spare could use another 2" but it should barely fit flat.

I'm still waiting for my dealer to order the compact spare rim for the 2011 Sienna. Apparently there is a part# but they are not able to order it (this is in Canada). Have also escilated to Toyota customer service. For now, running on non-RF snow tires with no spare tire.

I don't bother carrying my spare around town to tell the truth. On long trips I drop it in!
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

Supporting Member

I would not count on even a 2011 "compact" spare laying down flat behind the third row of a 2011 Sienna. The "compact" spares for earlier years are not significantly shorter than the regular size tires, only narrower, so it will likely be too large in overall diameter. The second-generation spare is a T155/80R17. Tires for the 2011 are about 1" larger overall than the second-generation equivalents, so the spare should be very large (as temporary spares go)... does anyone know the size?

with awd you need to keep the diameter pretty close
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

Just an update on this thread -- I went ahead and acquired from Toyota the compact spare tire+rim for the LE AWD. The rim part is special order part#42611-08110 and fits properly on both front and back with test drive.

Mounted this on front or back wheel and the car seems to drive fine (up to 80km) on a 1km test run (tried both front and back). Surprisingly no warning lights came on (AWD, traction control, etc.). Hard acceleration and stops (without ABS kicking in) see, okay too. If the spare is in the front there is a bit of pulling on one side (as expected) while hard braking.

I hope not to have to run on this setup, but this is probably better than no spare (the full-size wheel skits vertical takes up half the trunk). The manual on page 703 also says that the compact spare might damage the AWD mechanism. The compact-spare does fit almost flat on the bottom (fully inflated) behind the third row.

Update: called Toyota Canada and they say the donut spare tire runs fine on the 2011 Sienna AWD; just don't run on it for extended periods. Also, here is the donut rim receipt showing part number:

Devoted Member

Pics please, wongyun. Thanks!
    2011 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD with Premium and Convenience packages in South Pacific Pearl over Light Gray purchased 03/31/2010
    • (CF) Carpeted Floor Mats with Door Sill Protectors
    • (GN) Cargo Net

Here are the pictures (NOTE: you will need to create an account and log in in order to see them):

More pictures. The last photo describes the piece of plastic that had to be pulled out to help the wheel stay perfect flat on the bottom; otherwise it's pretty flat but just not perfectly flat.

Devoted Member

so how much does it cost?

Does the spare has TPMS on it?

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast