Windshield Cracking
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Cracking

Windshield Cracking

Bought our new 2011 Sienna back in May 2010 and within the first 3 weeks had a major crack in the windshield. Used my insurance to get it replaced after the dealer insisted "this happens". Five months later, we had another major crack in the windshield in almost the same exact spot. This time I insisted they would need to replace this one since this is not normal. LOVE everything else about my Sienna, just cannot afford to replace the windshield 2-3 times a year, especially since it is heated. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Devoted Member

Re: Windshield Cracking

It's heated?
    2011 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD with Premium and Convenience packages in South Pacific Pearl over Light Gray purchased 03/31/2010
    • (CF) Carpeted Floor Mats with Door Sill Protectors
    • (GN) Cargo Net

bottom part where the wipers sit

I wonder why it is cracking? Can you take a pic of your winshield and put an arrow where the crack happened or do you have a pic of the cracked windshield?

I was surprised how cheap mine was to replace on my 2006 if i recall ir was less then 250 installed
    2006 XLE Limited AFP

I had repeated windshield cracks (4 total) in a former Chevy pickup I owned. One installer finally checked and found the windshield frame was not smoothly meeting the glass on the lower edge -- it was slightly raised at one spot. That left the lower glass on one side poorly supported. The sealant made it impossible to see until the same guy was installing a replacement for the third time (under the installer warranty). Five seconds with a grinder solved it.
    Current: 11 Sienna Limited (Silver), 13 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali 4x4 CCLB DRW (White)
    Former: 09 Avalanche LTZ, 06 Sienna Limited, 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT, 00 Chevrolet Silverado, 00 GMC Envoy, 88 Chevrolet K1500, 86 Chevrolet Corvette, 82 Plymouth TC3

Sorry it took me awhile to respond. Yes, it is heated. They "claim" it is now standard on all 2011 Sienna's. As for a picture, I will work on getting one that shows the crack well. One of my thoughts was the framing as well. Toyota says they will not only inspect this second windshield they are taking out, but will do a full inspection of the framing prior to installing the new one, including making sure it is "square" where it should be. Trying to get a new windshield from the factory is insane. Last time, the crack made it horizontally across more than half the windshield by the time the glass company could get one without a defect. But everything else I love on my Sienna. First time with a Toyota and I am pleased, except for my windshield.

I have a toyota 2011 Sienna I bought in Sept 2010 and it also has a crack along the bottom on the winshield... in is a arch type arch, no point of contact... and nothing hit the glass... :o I am going weds to the dealership.. I will let you know what they say.

Toyota has Tech Tip T-TT-0030-10 Windshield Stress Crack which says the following:
    CONDITION
    Some 2011 Sienna vehicles may exhibit a cracked windshield where the crack appears to come from below the cowl assembly or from the A-pillar area. No signs of chipping or impact damage are typically visible that may have contributed to the condition.
    The Tech Tip then shows pictures of two example cracks.
    RECOMMENDATIONS
    This issue is currently under investigation. Please contact Technical Assistance (TAS) to submit details on any vehicle identified matching the condition described in this document.
    The Tech Tip PDF file is attached.

[Sniggy] Where did your cracks originate from?

I note that during the 2011 redesign that Toyota stiffened the A-pillar to keep frontal crash forces from deforming the door frame and allowing the door to open in a crash.
    Impact Absorbing Structure for Frontal Collision
    - The front body pillar inner and the roof side rail reinforcement inner are overlapped. The load transfer during a frontal collision has been increased, thus suppressing the body deformation of the front door periphery.
    The overlap joint is directly above the mirrors inside the A-pillar.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Current: 11 Sienna Limited (Silver), 13 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali 4x4 CCLB DRW (White)
    Former: 09 Avalanche LTZ, 06 Sienna Limited, 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT, 00 Chevrolet Silverado, 00 GMC Envoy, 88 Chevrolet K1500, 86 Chevrolet Corvette, 82 Plymouth TC3

We bought it in August '10 and the very top of the windshield cracked in October '10. Where it cracked was a very odd location because it seemed as though a rock would have had to be pretty small and coming in really fast to have cracked the windshield the way it did. We were told at the Toyota dealership that it was just a "normal thing to happen", which is what they always seem to say when you go to a Toyota dealership about a windshield crack.

However, after getting it fixed, using another original 2011 Sienna windshield directly from Toyota (not after market), it cracked again Thursday, but this time on the lower part of the windshield, near the cowl. This time I saw it very early on and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable impact from a rock or anything. Of course, when we took it to Toyota, they said "things happen, and looks like you will need to replace it"...again?! Not so fast Toyota. I called the company they used to install our first windshield and they had a lot better customer service than Toyota and just came to our house to look at the windshield. The windshield replacement owner said there doesn't seem to be a significant of enough impact at all to have caused the issue and is going to go back to Toyota himself to figure out why they "brushed us off".

I gave the windshield company a print out from www.siennachat.com highlighting other 2011 Sienna owners having very similar issues across the country. He said the Tech Tip listed on this site is consistent with the lower part of the windshield area where our issue (and many other people...) seem to be having. It also looks like this issue is under investigation by Toyota. Wonder why the news hasn't been made aware of this just yet...hmmm?!?!

I to have a 2011 Sienna Limited purchased in October 2010 from a dealership in Easton, MD. I will be calling tomorrow to discuss with them, as this crack originates in the same place as described in this thread. Safelite Autoglass quoted the replacement at $700. Definitely want to avoid that if possible.

Bought our 2011 Toyota Sienna LE in August 2010. Today I have discovered a crack on the windshield going from one side to the other. No previous chips. How does this happen? We are concerned about the previous threads that this may be a bigger issue, impacting Vans that were built at a certain time.
    Windshield Toytoa Sienna LE.jpg

The Tech Tip I posted above appears to no longer be active on TIS.

We have just had the same problem. Bought the vehicle in June of 2011. I have not contacted the dealer yet.

I've had my Sienna for for about 20 months and I've replaced the windshield once, filled a chip once and now have another crack. I agree I can't afford to keep replacing windshields at $1000 a pop. Does anyone from Toyota care to respond?

Has anyone had any luck with Toyota about these cracking windshields. I have a 2011 Sienna SE and had the windshield crack from the outside edge when it was only 4-5 months old. I had it replaced with a new Toyota windshield ($800+ later), and chalked it up to an unknown and a bad day. But then today I noticed a new crack, coming up from below the base trim (by the wipers), and it wasn't there yesterday! Because of this, I decided to do a little online research, and it appears this is a regular problem! Has anyone had success with Toyota replacing the windshield? Or are they in denial? Please share your feedback. Thanks Sienna owners! I will see to it that I do my part to get Toyota to make this right...... Scott

I just bought a 2012 new and the windsheild got a crack in it too. Started from the bottom by wipers, no chips pr anything... just cracked, and it is less than 4 weeks old

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements