8th seat base solution?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8th seat base solution?

8th seat base solution?

Just test drove a 2011 Sienna and the LE V6 front-drive was perfect for us ...except for that terrible base in the second row that's left over when you stow the 8th seat. Not only does it hinder the great pass through path to the third row, but it will easily be the dirtiest and most damaged part of the car after a few years.

In my opinion, we could tolerate that base if you could cover it with something (like a floor mat) to keep it from being destroyed. Anyone seen something like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: 8th seat base solution?

I only have the 7 seat van so I don't have an answer for you. But I did want to say welcome to the club.

Thanks for the welcome note.

I really want a 7 passenger, but that means either upgrading to an LE AWD or downgrading to a base grade. Both of which I really don't want to do.

Supporting Member

If you have time perhaps you can do a locator search to find the exact van you want. I have been know to fly to a dealer that had just what I wanted.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by gearheadgames
    Just test drove a 2011 Sienna and the LE V6 front-drive was perfect for us ...except for that terrible base in the second row that's left over when you stow the 8th seat. Not only does it hinder the great pass through path to the third row, but it will easily be the dirtiest and most damaged part of the car after a few years.

In my opinion, we could tolerate that base if you could cover it with something (like a floor mat) to keep it from being destroyed. Anyone seen something like this?
    Feel the same, what's wrong with that on the floor base? You can't take it out and as you mentioned, it will only get dirty (especially if you put drinks on that cup holder and waiting for accident to happen)
    That's why we look at AWD just to bypass the stupid middle seat base. Now we are in hold on buying because we still like the old (04-2010) 7 seat option as you can put the middle seat together to create a better 3rd row entrance (for my parents)

BTW, we used to have an 04 AWD LE and we loved it.

Ill have to look at mine. I have the 8th seat base (2011 SE) but honestly it never came to mind as a potential problem.

I wonder if it can be removed if you never plan on using the 8th seat.

2011 South Pacific Pearl SE

the worst you can is a little cheapo black carpet draped over that area to prevent the damage when going back and forth

Quote Originally Posted by kidcurry

I wonder if it can be removed if you never plan on using the 8th seat.
    removing that middle base will leave you all the metal brackets used to hold that base-I tried it

I do give toyota the big middle finger for making such a small middle seat, compared to the last gen
    11 SE- SILVER SKY METALLIC-Moonroof and Preferred Package

9" DVD monitor headrests [5000k HID] [LEDs][AVS window visors][Homelink compass mirror][Pioneer 6x9"][P.S. LED reflectors]

One really neat thing that toyota or some 3rd party company can do is to make a center console (similar to the fron consle) that can latch on to the latch hooks that are used by the middle seat itself. that way you can at least have a usable center console that fits witht he rets of the car. I wonder why toyota didn't do this as an option or accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman
    One really neat thing that toyota or some 3rd party company can do is to make a center console (similar to the fron consle) that can latch on to the latch hooks that are used by the middle seat itself. that way you can at least have a usable center console that fits witht he rets of the car. I wonder why toyota didn't do this as an option or accessory.
    this is exactly what I'm hoping for. i'm keeping my eyes out for someone willing to sell their 8th seat so I can convert that to a nice locking center console. personally, I like the skinny, easily removable 8th seat. I've gotten no complaints from either children or adults sitting in it and I still have the added benefit of a pass through and proper captain's chairs in the second row. the good thing is Honda went the other way so for those who want a new van with a proper 8th seat they can go Honda now. It's almost as if Honda and Toyota planned it that way.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman
    you can do that on the 2nd gen with center console (not the tray table).
    I guess the reason no to do it this time is cost cutting? It shows compared to 2nd gen

If anyone ever finds a second row console that fits nicely in the 8th seat space let me know. Would be definitely interested.

My thought exactly I have the SE so whenever I remove the center seat I place a floor mat over it so my kids won't damage it.

I just got my new 2012 LE and the floor mat that came with the van does cover over it.

I need a 8 seater !!!

Hi everyone , I'm new to the forum. and I'm in the market for a Toyota van. I have a large family. 6 kids. I'm looking for a 99-2004 . I need to know do Toyota have a 8 seater in those years ? please help me
    Last edited by mommiejohnson; 01-30-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Supporting Member

Re: I need a 8 seater !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommiejohnson View Post
    I'm looking for a 99-2004 . I need to know do Toyota have a 8 seater in those years ? please help me
    I'm not absolutely certain, but I'm thinking "no", assuming that you meant the first generation (1998-2003). The second generation (2004-2010) certainly did - I believe in every year - but it is bigger in every dimension than the first Sienna, and my guess is that 8-seaters didn't start until 2004. I may be wrong.

If you really mean 1999 to 2004 model years, then yes, at least 2004 has it. Does one model year make much difference? I would guess that by now the recognizably older and smaller first-gen is less expensive than the second-gen, but within a generation a year one way or the other won't matter.

Even in 2004+, I suspect that the 7-seater is much more common.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements