PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

I searched but can't find any topic about this. I don't like all the doors of my new Sienna unlocking when I shift to park so I reprogrammed it. Here is a brief tutorial for programming Toyota door locks…

Automatic Door Unlocking – Linked To Shift Lever (Automatic Transmission Models Only)
    This Will Program All The Doors To Unlock Whenever The Shift Lever Placed In PARK.
    Set The Parking Brake
    Make Sure All Doors Are Closed
    Place The Ignition Switch In The “ON” position
    Place The Transmission Gear Selection In The “P” position (PARK)
    Within 10 Seconds Of Turning The Ignition To The “ON” Position, Press And Hold The Driver’s Side Power Door Lock Switch In The Unlock Position (Rear Of The Switch) For 5 Seconds
    All Doors Will Lock And Unlock To Indicate That The Programming Was Successful.
    To Cancel The Programming, Repeat The Steps.

Automatic Door Unlocking-Linked To The Driver’s Door
    This will program all the doors to automatically unlock whenever the driver’s door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition is turned from “ON” to the “ACCESSORY” or “OFF” position.
    Set the Parking Brake
    Make sure all doors are closed
    Place the ignition switch in the “ON” position
    Automatic Transmission Models Only- place the transmission gear selector in the “N” position (NEUTRAL)
    Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the “ON” position, press and hold the driver’s side power door lock switch in the unlock position (rear of the switch) for 5 seconds
    All doors will lock and unlock to indicate that the programming was successful.
    To cancel the programming, repeat the steps.

Automatic Door Locking – Linked To Vehicle Speed
    This Will Program All The Doors To Lock Whenever The Vehicle Reaches A Speed Of About 12 mph.
    Set the Parking Brake
    Make sure all doors are closed
    Place the ignition switch in the “ON” position
    Automatic Transmission Models Only- place the transmission gear selector in the “N” position (NEUTRAL)
    Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the “ON” position, press and hold the driver’s side power door lock switch in the unlock position (front of the switch) for 5 seconds and then release
    All doors will lock and unlock to indicate that the programming was successful.
    To cancel the programming, repeat the steps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

jvk

Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

This is interesting... door functions can also be configured via menu options on the clock setup.

Okay, stupid question...but to put the switch in the "on" position with the push button start, I assume I would just push the button without pushing the brake peddle?
    2011 Sienna Limited, Aspen Pearl

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful
    Okay, stupid question...but to put the switch in the "on" position with the push button start, I assume I would just push the button without pushing the brake peddle?
    Although I assume that the owner's manual has the answer for this, the fact that its not a stupid question, and the operation of the ignition switch is not obvious, is a good example of why I think a single "1/0" button for a vehicle's ignition is stupid. It isn't even convenient for a computer (where this on/off toggle design started), and makes no sense for a car. An intelligent design would be a rotary switch just like the traditional key setup, but without the key.

I just read the "engine (ignition) switch" section (for "vehicles with smart key system") of the 2011 owners manual (starts on page 215 of section 2-1), and I still don't know exactly how to get the ignition on without starting. It may not matter, since jvk's comment suggests that this switch dance is not required in models with the fancy screen... which I'm guessing would include any version with Smart Key. That's probably in the manual, but I have not downloaded all the sections for the third generation, and it's not obvious in the sections that I do have.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp
    Although I assume that the owner's manual has the answer for this, the fact that its not a stupid question, and the operation of the ignition switch is not obvious, is a good example of why I think a single "1/0" button for a vehicle's ignition is stupid. It isn't even convenient for a computer (where this on/off toggle design started), and makes no sense for a car. An intelligent design would be a rotary switch just like the traditional key setup, but without the key.

I just read the "engine (ignition) switch" section (for "vehicles with smart key system") of the 2011 owners manual (starts on page 215 of section 2-1), and I still don't know exactly how to get the ignition on without starting. It may not matter, since jvk's comment suggests that this switch dance is not required in models with the fancy screen... which I'm guessing would include any version with Smart Key. That's probably in the manual, but I have not downloaded all the sections for the third generation, and it's not obvious in the sections that I do have.
    Well...your point is well taken: I once spent a fun 10 minutes in a not-great section of Chicago trying to get a Prius started (made even harder by the fact that, of course, "started" didn't mean the engine was running!).

However, I believe that it has become standard for pushbutton start to work as the Sienna's does: push without stepping on brake pedal, get Accessory; press again, get On (but no engine); press again, Off. Whether the manual does a good job of explaining it is, of course, another matter.

My point isn't that it's a dumb question -- it's not -- but that there's a lot to driving a car that's not that well documented because the interface is (largely) standardized (wipers and lights notwithstanding).

Contrast this with the early days of cars, where everything was different from one to the next; or to airplanes, where that's largely still true. Imagine if this standardization hadn't happened -- "My license only allows me to drive Fords and Chryslers, not GM products"! (And the niche makers would REALLY be in a world o' hurt -- where would you go to learn how to drive a Ferrari? Well, I guess if you can afford one, you could afford the training...)

Thank you, I feel better now! I guess I just felt dumb that I hadn't considered needing to know this because it's a second nature know-how by now on all the "key turn" vehicles I've driven, so it didn't even cross my mind about this van until I read it here...

Quote Originally Posted by akphs
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp

Well...your point is well taken: I once spent a fun 10 minutes in a not-great section of Chicago trying to get a Prius started (made even harder by the fact that, of course, "started" didn't mean the engine was running!).

However, I believe that it has become standard for pushbutton start to work as the Sienna's does: push without stepping on brake pedal, get Accessory; press again, get On (but no engine); press again, Off. Whether the manual does a good job of explaining it is, of course, another matter.

My point isn't that it's a dumb question -- it's not -- but that there's a lot to driving a car that's not that well documented because the interface is (largely) standardized (wipers and lights notwithstanding).

Contrast this with the early days of cars, where everything was different from one to the next; or to airplanes, where that's largely still true. Imagine if this standardization hadn't happened -- "My license only allows me to drive Fords and Chryslers, not GM products"! (And the niche makers would REALLY be in a world o' hurt -- where would you go to learn how to drive a Ferrari? Well, I guess if you can afford one, you could afford the training...)
    2011 Sienna Limited, Aspen Pearl

8. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements