Tire Pressure Monitor
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire Pressure Monitor

Tire Pressure Monitor

I am new to this site. Bought a 2011 Sienna LE (V6) in August.

This morning when I started the car, the Tire Pressure Monitor light went on. We have had trouble with these monitors before. I don't like them and wish they could be turned off. I happened to be going by the dealer this afternoon, so I stoped in. They checked it out and said nothing was wrong. They said it was caused by a change in temperature (it got into the 40's in Tampa this morning). They said whenever we get a big change in temperature they get about 50 cars a day with the same problem. They we nice enough to show me how to turn the light off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Tire Pressure Monitor

Yea this is a common problem I had it happen the opisite when it was in the 90's it went off on the upper scale. I was once told for every 10 degree change the psi will change 1 psi on average.
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
    Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
    Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
    Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
    Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
    Activated DRL's

The benefits of nitrogen tires seem a little dubious, but if it fixes this problem, then perhaps it’s warranted. I live in Canada and have fairly dramatic changes in temp, and have not had my TPM light go off (with nitrogen).

Quote Originally Posted by jnwfla View Post
    They we nice enough to show me how to turn the light off.
    How was this done?
    Jeff

2011 SE

Winter wheels: Modo EP1 with Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 235/55R18

Quote Originally Posted by roketh View Post
    The benefits of nitrogen tires seem a little dubious, but if it fixes this problem, then perhaps it’s warranted. I live in Canada and have fairly dramatic changes in temp, and have not had my TPM light go off (with nitrogen).
    Yeaaah...I think the alleged benefits of nitrogen fill for regular car tires (as opposed to racing) have been pretty well debunked by the car magazines. "If it's free, sure, but paying for it isn't worth it" was their conclusion.

I had this happen when the temperature first dipped into the 30's a few weeks ago. The temperature drop was enough to lower tire pressures from 35psi to 30psi. Inflating the tires back up to 35psi got rid of my dash light warning.

Quote Originally Posted by morcguy View Post
    How was this done?
    There is a button under the dash, to the right of the stearing column. They told me to push it until the light blinks 3 times. They also said that it may take a little while before the light goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by samilcar View Post
    I had this happen when the temperature first dipped into the 30's a few weeks ago. The temperature drop was enough to lower tire pressures from 35psi to 30psi. Inflating the tires back up to 35psi got rid of my dash light warning.
    This is exactly how the system is supposed to work .This is a text book example.Your van would of handled differently at 30psi than 35psi .
    2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
    Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
    Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
    Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
    Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
    Activated DRL's

N2 vs. Air (N2 + H2O) makes a world of a difference. No airliner is even allowed to use air in its tires. After 2 years of nitrogen use not one of my 4 tires has changed tire pressure. The answer is simple: No moisture which responds to temperature dramatically. In addition there's the benefit of not having any O2 either.

Quote Originally Posted by orider View Post
    N2 vs. Air (N2 + H2O) makes a world of a difference. No airliner is even allowed to use air in its tires. After 2 years of nitrogen use not one of my 4 tires has changed tire pressure. The answer is simple: No moisture which responds to temperature dramatically. In addition there's the benefit of not having any O2 either.
    Except this isn't an airliner and extensive testing by the car magazines and others have pretty well shown that any benefit is marginal at best.

All,

I got my 2013 Sienna XLE just in October. I test drove the highlander six month ago also and eventually decided to get the Sienna.

In one particular area, I am kinda disappointed with the Sienna - the Tire pressure monitoring...... How come the 2012 highlander already have the display of the individual tire pressure on the small monitor screen, but then the new 2013 Sienna still does not have it??

I was silly enough to keep pressing the button trying to see where is this display hiding in the menu etc.

Can someone confirm to me whether 2013 Sienna XLE has this display function or not?? Just as the attached picture..... Thanks.
    Attachment 5357

Supporting Member

N2 vs. Air (N2 + H2O)...
    Well, it's ideally
    N2 vs. Air (N2 + O2 + CO2 + H2O + other stuff).

The answer is simple: No moisture which responds to temperature dramatically. In addition there's the benefit of not having any O2 either.
    There's the key: the difference is moisture, not oxygen. Compressed N2 in cylinders is very dry - the reason to use it is the dryness, not the lack of oxygen, and it is cheaper than the same size cylinder of dry air.

Unfortunately, the "nitrogen" source used by a tire shop is rarely really dry N2. It is nitrogen-enriched air, and the actual water content is neither advertised nor guaranteed. A normal compressed air source but well dried would be just as good, but shop air often has lots of water in it.

It seems entirely possible to me that the reason for filling aircraft tires with an inert gas (such as nitrogen) is to reduce the risk of tires burning - such as due to the red-hot brakes - when they fail while landing at high speed. I'm not very worried about that happening to our Sienna.
    Last edited by brian_bp; 11-24-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Supporting Member

If you can get a 'nitrogen' fill for free at your local shop, take it. But knowing what they are trying to sell you, and with all the variables as Brian described above, it is of dubious value if you have to pay for it.

Remember the cup or so of water based tire bead adhesive and mounting lubricant they slopped on the tire and rim before mounting? That's a significant source of your water! In a closed environment, where is it going to evaporate to? Some of it becomes bound up in the latex thru a chemical reaction. Much of it stays 'wet'. And when that freezes and drops out of the air mix, you get a marked change in pressure. The Ideal Gas Law was never a perfect way to model a multi-component system at the best of times, but something that changes state really messes with the math.

If you can find a tire shop that actually has a tall (like 10 ft) cylinder of N2 out back, filled from an Air Products or other mobile truck, you are getting pure stuff. Otherwise, as Brian said you are getting 'something' from a device that is similar to the Oxygen Concentrator you might have seen in your grandmother's house. Air forced thru a semi-permeable filter medium that permits passage of one sized molecule, but partially blocks the other.

If you believe the tire industry literature, N2 stays behind as the other components leak out. Using that logic, over time, the smaller stuff (CO2, O2) diffuse out, leaving a higher concentration of N2 behind. So your tire is naturally acting as a N2 concentrator.
    '08 Sienna LE (FWD) in Slate Metallic, '02 and '14 Subaru Outback wagons
    Sienna:
    Enabled DRL & VIP RS3200 Security
    Curt 13256 2 receiver hitch & Air Lift 1000 rear spring bags
    Fog lights, mud guards, & door sill protectors
    Avery Touring custom grey carpet 3 piece floor mat set
    Continental Extreme Winter on Sport Edition F7 rims, TMPS & ATEQ reset tool
    8yr/125k $0 deductible Platinum warranty

The Sienna doesn't have the indiv tire display.

Quote Originally Posted by cyawong69 View Post
    All,

I got my 2013 Sienna XLE just in October. I test drove the highlander six month ago also and eventually decided to get the Sienna.

In one particular area, I am kinda disappointed with the Sienna - the Tire pressure monitoring...... How come the 2012 highlander already have the display of the individual tire pressure on the small monitor screen, but then the new 2013 Sienna still does not have it??

I was silly enough to keep pressing the button trying to see where is this display hiding in the menu etc.

Can someone confirm to me whether 2013 Sienna XLE has this display function or not?? Just as the attached picture..... Thanks.
    Attachment 5357
    2012 Sienna Limited, Premium and Convenience Packages

Previously:
    2011 Sienna Limited, Premium and Convenience Packages (totaled)
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2004 Sienna Limited

Quote Originally Posted by basketgala View Post
    The Sienna doesn't have the indiv tire display.
    I know they don't .. that's why i a mnot happy.....

a 2012 highlander will have it, but not a Sienna XLE??

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements