2011 Sienna Premature Wear of Tires

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Sienna Premature Wear of Tires

Unhappy 2011 Sienna Premature Wear of Tires

I replaced the stock tires on my Sienna LE FW vehicle with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. They now have 15,650 miles on them. They have been rotated every 5K-6K miles. The vehicle was dealer aligned the day after the tires were installed. The tires were purchased and installed at Sams. I took the Sienna to Sams complaining that the tires were prematurely wearing. At the time the tech measured a variance of 2-4/16ths on the front, and a 4-5/16ths on the rear. He told me because of the wear pattern, he could do nothing and suggested I see my dealer. Since an oil change was due, I took it to Molle Toyota in KC, MO. It was there that I was told that I should never expect more than 30K miles on any type of tire on my Sienna. He said I should expect no more than another 5K on my Michelins. A quick check of the alignment had everything in the green. He said the tire wear was even. I could not believe that I would only get 30K miles on any tire. So, I went to another Toyota dealer, Olathe Toyota, KS (where I purchased the vehicle.) Without even looking at my tire, the Service Rep re-stated what I heard...don't expect more than 30K on my Sienna tires. I was livid...The manager then talked to me. He agreed I had premium tires on the vehicle, but said Siennas and HighLanders just "didn't like tires". He suggested I call Toyota Customer Service which I did that afternoon. After a 30 minute conversation(!), I was told nothing could be done. If I wanted to have the alignment rechecked and the suspension checked at my expense, and something was found, then Toyota would consider something.
    I am a very conservative driver...average speed = 25mph; 19.8 mpg.

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem? Any suggestions? I like the vehicle a lot, but I can't afford to allocate $300-$400 per year on tires. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2011 Sienna Premature Wear of Tires

Try contacting Michelin. I believe those tires may have a limited warranty on them. You may not get free tires but maybe able to get some kind of discount on them. Its worth a shot. My mom has a highlander and she has 50k miles on her tires.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 are very good tires, come with 50K miles warranty. So check with Michelin for your problem. I had few of them in the other car and they all last over 50K miles.

Mine stock Goodyear on '11 Sienna now almost 15K miles and still have plenty of tread left. I'm expected them to last up to 40K miles.

When I upgraded to 20s, I bought Yokohama YK580s in 245/45/20s from Discount Tires because they have a 45k warranty on them. After 23k on them with normal rotations done, they were all pretty much done. Discount Tires gave me a prorated discount toward some new ones and I went all out and bought Michelin Primacy MXV4s in the same size because they have a 60k warranty. I buy tires at Discount Tires because they handle warranty problems, I don't have to deal with the manufacturers. Hopefully I'll get better mileage out of these "premium" Michelins. To be continued......

Devoted Member

So, these 4 pieces of rubber carry 6,000 lbs at highway velocity and around curves with aplomb and you expect them to last? Get real!

Your only hope is to take advantage of a tread wear warranty.
    2011 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD with Premium and Convenience packages in South Pacific Pearl over Light Gray purchased 03/31/2010
    • (CF) Carpeted Floor Mats with Door Sill Protectors
    • (GN) Cargo Net

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jgwin214 View Post
    When I upgraded to 20s, I bought Yokohama YK580s in 245/45/20s from Discount Tires because they have a 45k warranty on them. After 23k on them with normal rotations done, they were all pretty much done. Discount Tires gave me a prorated discount toward some new ones and I went all out and bought Michelin Primacy MXV4s in the same size because they have a 60k warranty. I buy tires at Discount Tires because they handle warranty problems, I don't have to deal with the manufacturers. Hopefully I'll get better mileage out of these "premium" Michelins. To be continued......
    Hey jgwin,
    Ive actually had an issue with this too myself and wondered why all our Achilles tires weren't lasting as long as it shouldve and one thing we realized is that the tire that we've been using isn't even designed for the weight of the van. The load rating of an OEM tire for a Sienna is 102. The achilles and the yokohama tire you mentioned are both 99 only. 3 points lower is actually a significant amount and I confirmed this with mechanics from my friend's shop and also america's tire. We really shouldnt be any lower than 100 and if you can, get one higher than 102. Hopefully next tire you get would be around that load rating. The cheapest with a 103 rating would be a cooper Zeon Rs3 for 600 shipped for a set.

Quote Originally Posted by qest t. silverclaw View Post
    So, these 4 pieces of rubber carry 6,000 lbs at highway velocity and around curves with aplomb and you expect them to last? Get real!

Your only hope is to take advantage of a tread wear warranty.
    Yup... Load rating and weight of vehicle definitely has a lot to do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by NormB View Post
    I replaced the stock tires on my Sienna LE FW vehicle with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. They now have 15,650 miles on them. They have been rotated every 5K-6K miles. The vehicle was dealer aligned the day after the tires were installed. The tires were purchased and installed at Sams. I took the Sienna to Sams complaining that the tires were prematurely wearing. At the time the tech measured a variance of 2-4/16ths on the front, and a 4-5/16ths on the rear. He told me because of the wear pattern, he could do nothing and suggested I see my dealer. Since an oil change was due, I took it to Molle Toyota in KC, MO. It was there that I was told that I should never expect more than 30K miles on any type of tire on my Sienna. He said I should expect no more than another 5K on my Michelins. A quick check of the alignment had everything in the green. He said the tire wear was even. I could not believe that I would only get 30K miles on any tire. So, I went to another Toyota dealer, Olathe Toyota, KS (where I purchased the vehicle.) Without even looking at my tire, the Service Rep re-stated what I heard...don't expect more than 30K on my Sienna tires. I was livid...The manager then talked to me. He agreed I had premium tires on the vehicle, but said Siennas and HighLanders just "didn't like tires". He suggested I call Toyota Customer Service which I did that afternoon. After a 30 minute conversation(!), I was told nothing could be done. If I wanted to have the alignment rechecked and the suspension checked at my expense, and something was found, then Toyota would consider something.

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem? Any suggestions? I like the vehicle a lot, but I can't afford to allocate $300-$400 per year on tires. Any help would be appreciated.

I would check the load rating on those tires too even though they're OEM. They can tell a lot about why your tires probably didnt last long. I was looking at MIchelin's website and most of the laod ratings for the mxv4 is 99 again so that may be the prominent reason why its not lasting long. the van's tires shouldnt be no lower than 100-101 but if possible try to get a 102 and up load rating. They call that rating SL or XL accordingly. hope that helps

Devoted Member

oh and if you guys want the cheapest tires online and anywhere for that matter you really cant go wrong with either onlinetires.com and discounttiredirect.com

Devoted Member

I'm curious NormB, can you please tell me the size of your tire?

thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by NormB View Post

I have about 20,000km on my OEM Michelin tires and they look to be about halfway in their usefull life. This is the 3rd Michelin set of tire I have owned over the years on 3 different cars and none of them have given me great milleage. I never expect much from my OEM tires.

My father in law had the same OEM MXV4 on his lexus ES and they didn't last very long either.

Cape, I see your point about the load ratings on these tires. I checked the load rating on the factory 19s and they are 99. Actually all the tires in the factory 19 inch size have the same load rating. My new Michelins are rated at 99. Oh well, I'll find out. Glad I have a treadwear warranty.

On a side note Cape, how are the coilovers affecting tire wear? Are you able to align them to near factory specs? Other then being lower of course. I'm still on the fence about getting them. My rear hitch scrapes the ground pretty often. These new tires and the sound deadening I've just done have made it a nicer ride.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jgwin214 View Post
    Cape, I see your point about the load ratings on these tires. I checked the load rating on the factory 19s and they are 99. Actually all the tires in the factory 19 inch size have the same load rating. My new Michelins are rated at 99. Oh well, I'll find out. Glad I have a treadwear warranty.

On a side note Cape, how are the coilovers affecting tire wear? Are you able to align them to near factory specs? Other then being lower of course. I'm still on the fence about getting them. My rear hitch scrapes the ground pretty often. These new tires and the sound deadening I've just done have made it a nicer ride.
    sup Jg,
    after 6-7 months of riding on them I still feel the same way.. I still LOVE them! yes camber wise no issues at all.. the only issue I have right now is the toe. the rear toe is non adjustable so the only way to fix it is to get a shim for to correct it and SPC is nearing its final product as theyve kept me up to date with the Sienna and will let you everyone know as soon as theyre readily available. Here is the amazing story about the hitch. I used to scrape all the time when I had the hitch on Stock XLE suspension. But 2 of the 6 Vossen Siennas you see are now both on coilovers and slammed and for some reason they dont encounter any scrape issues. They have the Cajones to do it and I don't hahah.. obviously the rebound of the suspension is a lot less since the suspension is stiffer so I think thats what's the biggest difference why they havent scraped... Either way you can always opt to get rid of hitch and just use the roof for cargo

13. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements