Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The far driver side end of the transmission is wet and grimy. Nothing makes it to the ground and fluid level is between dipstick marks. Axle seals are dry and I don't think fluid is creeping upwards. Looks like it's coming from the area by the frame which I can't see. What's up there that can leak? Vent?

Sixto
'04 LE FWD 194K miles

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,933 Posts
Fast forward to 13:55 where he talks about transmission leaks. I have that issue on my 06 and like you nothing drips on the ground.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The cowl would drain down there. It's just water, but, if those corner areas under the hood are crammed with leaves and whatnot from a dozen+ Fall seasons, it can be what I would describe as "grimy." Other than that, I think the only fluid that could drip down on the driver's side would be brake fluid or maybe a power steering leak from that side of the rack. A hole in a CV boot can fling broken down grease where ever too.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,933 Posts
It's coming from the area by the frame
Somehow I missed that and BillG's reply is probably more spot on if its the frame of the van or are you talking about the body of the transmission?
What color is the grime?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That car care nut loves notoriety! :p

You inspired me to take a closer look. Here’s what I saw. Apologies for random order of pictures.

This is what’s wet and grimy, the far driver side end of the transmission above and aft of the mount -

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Gas Tints and shades

Brake master and ABS pump are clean and dry. I don’t have a picture of the bottom of the ABS pump. I’m not losing brake fluid -

White Motor vehicle Light Gas Auto part

Looking from the wheel well, the inner boot is dry and cleaner than the transmission end -

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Automotive fuel system

Outer joint fully flexed. Looks clean and dry to me -

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Vehicle

Closer view of inner joint -

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Suspension Rim

Rack boot is fairly clean and far from transmission end -

Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Auto part

Could it be a liquid filled mount sprayed out?

FWIW we had a ‘97 Grand Caravan from 97K miles to 262K miles which developed a leak from a cover plate in that area. For all it’s… ahem… earned notoriety, that 41TE only needed that cover plate resealed and a solenoid pack which Chrysler was thoughtful enough to mount outside the transmission.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 194K miles

Attachments

·
Registered
'04 XLE-L 2WD
1,031 Posts
That vertical brown line in the 3rd and 5th pictures looks to me like the inner CV boot is flinging grease out, probably through a crack in the boot. The grimy, black junk on the end of the trans may be related to that or it may be a different leak. I guess what I'd do is replace the axle, clean up the trans case while the axle is out, and keep an eye on it. You're not losing trans fluid so even if there is another leak it must be pretty minor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts