Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions.

When I was driving a few weeks ago, there was some high winds (always high winds in Southern New England but these were especially high winds) and it sounded like something plastic was rattling around under the front of the van whenever the wind would gust as a cross breeze. Well, when I was doing an oil change before a 750 mile round-trip I was taking, I noticed that the splash shield is missing one of the bolts. Does anyone have the length/size of this bolt handy?

Second, as I looked at it, it struck me as odd. I only have one splash shield on the passenger side corner and none on the driver's side, although all the holes for it are there. I assume I should have a second splash shield on the driver's side, right? As a 'part a' to this question, it has me wondering, is there supposed to be another splash shield covering the rest of the bottom of the motor? I know that's fairly typical on cars these days to pretty them up. Right now, I have one splash shield covering the front corner of the passenger side only, missing a bolt.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can you post a picture of splash shield? I am going to work on my Sienna this weekend to replace the heat shield cover in the front. I can check it out for you on my 06 XLE.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think there's just the one under-engine cover:

Radiator Support for 2006 Toyota Sienna

As I recall, the fasteners holding it on are some combination of short 6x1mm machine bolts and similar size hex-head sheet metal screws, the kind used to hold two plastic pieces together. Whenever I go to the junkyard I grab some along with the plastic push pin fasteners since I always seem to be missing some.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there's just the one under-engine cover:

Radiator Support for 2006 Toyota Sienna

As I recall, the fasteners holding it on are some combination of short 6x1mm machine bolts and similar size hex-head sheet metal screws, the kind used to hold two plastic pieces together. Whenever I go to the junkyard I grab some along with the plastic push pin fasteners since I always seem to be missing some.
That's definitely the splash shield I'm talking about. I couldn't take a pic because I'm not allowed to take pictures at work and forgot when I got home. Of course, now, it's raining today. That said, I'm going to have to get under there and check it out. It was two weeks ago when I changed my oil and noticed this, so my memory could be failing, but I don't recall there being any splash shield extending to the driver's side. I'll have to report back. I'll also have to see if the reason the screw is gone is because the last mechanic (who wasn't me) forgot to put it back or if the hole rusted out and a new screw is hopeless.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm guessing that the splash shield is bigger on the passenger side because that's where the timing and other belts are. Don't want water or snow getting up in there. The driver's side just has the trans down that low and is in less need of protection from the elements.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have at least one missing bolt on that splash shield on my 08 LE. I've been meaning to figure out what size the bolts are so I can pick some up.

·
Super Moderator
208 Posts
Zip ties here as well. The mini-curbs at our local shopping malls are designed to perfectly catch and scrape these shields when we reverse - very annoying!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I received my replacement screws and proceeded to push the threads right through the hole. There is no metal left to thread into. My next step is to try a nylon plug, if I can find one of the appropriate size, which I will use to fill the hole. If I can find one, I'll use that. If not, I'll feel compelled to drill the hole oversized and put a bigger screw in there. I would use the zip-tie method, except I feel like the splash shield SHOULD be removable. Although, if I did remove it, I'm sure the front plastic bumper plugs would all snap, so maybe I'm over-thinking this.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not one who is a fan of the zip tie modification OR the duct tape solution, I looked around on Amazon and found an assorted box of body panel bushings and plugs and thought one of them might work well. I ended up picking 3 from the box that I thought might work, which were bigger than the threads of the M6.3x20mm screw. One of them worked perfectly... for now. I have a concern about its holding power and its ability to withstand the brunt of all road grit and all weather conditions and heat and cold cycling. So, next time I change the oil, I may be grabbing the ole zip ties. I'm attaching a photo in case anyone is curious what I used. Thanks for the help, all

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts