Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the front bumper off and I saw these two connectors hanging , one on the left and one on the right. Would these be for fog lights? I checked the fuse panel in the car , drivers side and saw a 15 amp fuse installed for the fog lights. Would it be reasonable to assume that a relay ( if called for ) is installed as well? Should that be the case then all I would need are the fog lights themselves and a new stalk , maybe from an xle or similar van so equipped?
53E21E6C-A4AB-4F3F-8502-A6658E369877.jpeg
08C14D38-557B-478D-A011-F0CD077ADC92.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently had the front bumper off and I saw these two connectors hanging , one on the left and one on the right. Would these be for fog lights? I checked the fuse panel in the car , drivers side and saw a 15 amp fuse installed for the fog lights. Would it be reasonable to assume that a relay ( if called for ) is installed as well? Should that be the case then all I would need are the fog lights themselves and a new stalk , maybe from an xle or similar van so equipped? View attachment 49024 View attachment 49023

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears that these are the wires for the fog lamps. Now all I need would be a relay and a stalk. I took a peek at he fuse box and did not see the relay so I guess i will need this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't have fog lights on mine. Every car I've ever had with fog lights, though, had a separate switch or button on the dash to activate or deactivate the fog lights and then they were powered (or not) when the parking lights were energized.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It appears that these are the wires for the fog lamps. Now all I need would be a relay and a stalk. I took a peek at he fuse box and did not see the relay so I guess i will need this.
Driver’s kick panel, all the way to the left. See page 27. I do believe the switch is on the stalk (but not 100% sure, so verify that on your own).

Are you going OEM or aftermarket? I’ve heard OEM aren’t that bright. I did the 9006 to 9012 headlight mod/upgrade and have been very happy with the results.

-Mike

View attachment 008 - Relay Locations.pdf

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the attachment Mike. So I did look at that location and it is empty for that relay. My stalk does not have the ring for the fog light so I think I would need this. It is pretty expensive from the dealer , like $150. There are so many variations also , those with auto on features and I think finding one at a salvage yard would be hit or miss. At this juncture I am leaning towards a separate relay , switch and lamps which would probably be less expensive. Please elaborate on the 9006 to 9012 mod/upgrade.
Regards
Paul

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for the attachment Mike. So I did look at that location and it is empty for that relay. My stalk does not have the ring for the fog light so I think I would need this. It is pretty expensive from the dealer , like $150. There are so many variations also , those with auto on features and I think finding one at a salvage yard would be hit or miss. At this juncture I am leaning towards a separate relay , switch and lamps which would probably be less expensive. Please elaborate on the 9006 to 9012 mod/upgrade.
Regards
Paul
I am pretty sure a Bosch/Tyco mini relay will work in that slot. It will if it matches the power window relay layout. I used a Bosch/Tyco mini base to relocate my power window relay.

Yeah, junkyard or eBay are your best bets for finding a stalk. I think you could get a fog plus auto-on stalk and just not hook up the auto-on part, but not really sure.

Here’s the headlight how-to. I used a Dremel to trim the 9012 bulb bases to fit. I don’t even think I bothered to switch out the high beam bulbs since they’re not too bad and I rarely use them, but I may check and switch those out as well.

-Mike

·
Registered
843 Posts
Mike, what make 9012 are you using? Sylvania, Philips? LED? yes/no , Other?
Currently running Phillips 9012 for low beams. Avoid LED replacement bulbs as the light patterns are not correct. Also, for others reading this, do not switch from 9006 to 9012 (or 9005 to 9011) if the headlight housings do not include a reflector in front of the bulb. I don't believe that's an issue for any gen2 Sienna.

-Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did this on my 08 LE. Got the stack of ebay for like $25, installed relay and installed OEM look LED fogs. The stack I got had auto headlights position. Your car might be also prewired for auto headlights (mine was). U have to remove defogger gripe by the base of the windshield and look for the connector. I also got light sensor from ebay, from lexus IS, similar years, and cut the hole and plug it in. Here's the fog lights LED Fog Lights for 06-10 Toyota Sienna Driving Lamp Clear Wiring Switch Kit Pair | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a separate thread on the forum that included an instruction sheet on how to install OEM fog lights on the 2nd generation LE. I did it to my 2005 LE. You need to add a relay, change the turn signal switch to one that has the fog light switch and connect the new lights to the connectors you find. The wiring is all there. Here’s the link I think. Fog lights question (Add Fog Lights & Auto-On Sensing)

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a separate thread on the forum that included an instruction sheet on how to install OEM fog lights on the 2nd generation LE. I did it to my 2005 LE. You need to add a relay, change the turn signal switch to one that has the fog light switch and connect the new lights to the connectors you find. The wiring is all there. Here’s a link to one of the documents I used: fog_light_install.doc. Here’s the other: Fog Lamp OEM switch install.doc

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a separate thread on the forum that included an instruction sheet on how to install OEM fog lights on the 2nd generation LE. I did it to my 2005 LE. You need to add a relay, change the turn signal switch to one that has the fog light switch and connect the new lights to the connectors you find. The wiring is all there. Here’s the link I think. Fog lights question (Add Fog Lights & Auto-On Sensing)
Hey! Thank you very much. I will be looking for these components!

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So , I went to the salvage yard , LKQ , up in Ft.Lauderdale and got me two stalks both with the ring for turning on the fog lights. I also got the relays. There was only one fog lamp available and it was in pretty bad shape so I passed. I may opt for new ones , on Ebay? maybe.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Must be nice to live by LKQ! I still need to order a starter from them as a backup since I'm still on the original one.

Let me know if it's worth it when you complete the fog light install. I looked into fog lights a long time ago but concluded that it wasn't worth it considering the low amount of light provided.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I bought a starter off ebay for under 50 bucks . It was from a 2017 Camry and looked brand new (Denso) with only 17k miles on it ( so lkq says ). The original went bad a few years ago and I replaced it with a rebuilt one from advanced auto. What I noticed was just how much more rapidly the starter form the Camry turned over to start the van , with the same battery. I keep the rebuilt one as a spare now.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the intent of the fog light install is to shine lights on the corners when I make turns , similar to my Benz E350 ,which does it automatically . I am not sure if fog lights will do this for me so if there are members with some mod for this let me know . Specifically the light assembly used at how you attached it to the bumper. There are mixed reviews for the aftermarket fog light assy and the OE ones from the dealer are so expensive.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I installed aftermarket fog lights in my '05 LE AWD. They looked alot like the factory units, but have no idea how the beam spread compared. The van already had the wiring, I just plugged them in.

As far as using them for "cornering lights" is concerned, let's just say that I was a bit ... unimpressed ... with the light produced. First attempt to remedy the situation was to adjust them to bring the beam back down to road level. For some reason, they were set as great squirrel-hunting lights. Once they were actually pointing to the road, they still were not all that great.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed aftermarket fog lights in my '05 LE AWD. They looked alot like the factory units, but have no idea how the beam spread compared. The van already had the wiring, I just plugged them in.

As far as using them for "cornering lights" is concerned, let's just say that I was a bit ... unimpressed ... with the light produced. First attempt to remedy the situation was to adjust them to bring the beam back down to road level. For some reason, they were set as great squirrel-hunting lights. Once they were actually pointing to the road, they still were not all that great.

Thank you for your feedback .Maybe I should get some spot lights and secure them where the fogs would go. Would not great looking but functional.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts