Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna with a fluid leak on driver side cv axle were the shaft inserts into the case . Could it possibly be the seal and is something I can do myself ? I am some what mechanically inclined and have a little common sense lol . Please let me know what you think , it will be greatly appreciated 馃憤

Registered
If you're sure it's coming out of that spot where the shaft enters the transmission it's almost definitely the seal. I replaced the drivers cv shaft and seal on my 08 last year for the first time and can share my experience.

National Seal Part# 710112
Carquest FWD axle NEW

My rubber seal was fine but the cv shaft had a torn boot. Process is to remove the axle nut, 30mm 12 point deep socket required. Turn the wheel all the way to one direction so that you have room to slip the cv joint out of the knuckle. Use a pry bar between the cv joint and side of transmission to pop the joint out. My axle seal would not come out by hand and had to use a seal puller to get out. You'll lose some transmission fluid, no more than a quart.

Lube up the new seal with transmission fluid and smack it into place using an appropriate sized socket as a guide. I think mine refused to go into place and I resorted to smacking it with a plastic dead blow hammer to convince it in. Reinserting the cv joint into the transmission is also tricky, have to make sure the c-clip is pointing up and really stab it in with some force.

While doing the seal I would recommend replacing the cv joint if they're original and maybe even the ball joint because you'll have such good access to it.

Now if it was the passenger side I would take that sucker to the nearest shop, heard too many horror stories about that job.

Any questions let me know.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
If you're sure it's coming out of that spot where the shaft enters the transmission it's almost definitely the seal. I replaced the drivers cv shaft and seal on my 08 last year for the first time and can share my experience.

National Seal Part# 710112
Carquest FWD axle NEW

My rubber seal was fine but the cv shaft had a torn boot. Process is to remove the axle nut, 30mm 12 point deep socket required. Turn the wheel all the way to one direction so that you have room to slip the cv joint out of the knuckle. Use a pry bar between the cv joint and side of transmission to pop the joint out. My axle seal would not come out by hand and had to use a seal puller to get out. You'll lose some transmission fluid, no more than a quart.

Lube up the new seal with transmission fluid and smack it into place using an appropriate sized socket as a guide. I think mine refused to go into place and I resorted to smacking it with a plastic dead blow hammer to convince it in. Reinserting the cv joint into the transmission is also tricky, have to make sure the c-clip is pointing up and really stab it in with some force.

While doing the seal I would recommend replacing the cv joint if they're original and maybe even the ball joint because you'll have such good access to it.

Now if it was the passenger side I would take that sucker to the nearest shop, heard too many horror stories about that job.

Any questions let me know.
Thanks for your response. I was going to go ahead and do both cv axles with new seals . I leave down south so hopefully not to much rust and corrosion on passenger side bearing (it looked pretty clean when I checked it while changing oil ).

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. I was going to go ahead and do both cv axles with new seals . I leave down south so hopefully not to much rust and corrosion on passenger side bearing (it looked pretty clean when I checked it while changing oil ).
I meant live by the way 馃槀

Registered
I f you use carquest brand axles from advanced auto be aware that the axle nuts maybe of a different size. The ones I installed in my 06 were 32mm , 6pt.. Also before you leave the store check that the dust shield flange isn't damage. Upon installation these flanges can be tapped in closer to the seal housing part of the transmission. There is a securing bolt with a rubber tip that is torqued down, (24 ft/lbs) to hold the carrier bearing in place on the passenger side. If you remove this bolt and don't see the rubber tip it's because it is backed off and left stuck in the bolt channel. I bought a new one from the dealer just because. Like you I am down south ( Miami) but it did take a few whacks with a heavy hammer to get the passenger side out. There are many videos on you tube for this job. Change the seals out as well. I made that mistake and had to redo the process over for the passrnger side.
Also don"t forget to apply coupons (retailmenot dot com) to get a discount if you go that route.
Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I f you use carquest brand axles from advanced auto be aware that the axle nuts maybe of a different size. The ones I installed in my 06 were 32mm , 6pt.. Also before you leave the store check that the dust shield flange isn't damage. Upon installation these flanges can be tapped in closer to the seal housing part of the transmission. There is a securing bolt with a rubber tip that is torqued down, (24 ft/lbs) to hold the carrier bearing in place on the passenger side. If you remove this bolt and don't see the rubber tip it's because it is backed off and left stuck in the bolt channel. I bought a new one from the dealer just because. Like you I am down south ( Miami) but it did take a few whacks with a heavy hammer to get the passenger side out. There are many videos on you tube for this job. Change the seals out as well. I made that mistake and had to redo the process over for the passrnger side.
Also don"t forget to apply coupons (retailmenot dot com) to get a discount if you go that route.
Cheers
I am purchasing both axles from Napa (64.00 a piece )and both seals (9.00 a piece ) . Napa tends to have good products but I hope they have the
Cheers
I am purchasing both axles from Napa ( $64.00 a piece ) and both seals ( $9.00 ) a piece . They tend to sale good products . I just hope they have the 32mm 12 point socket lol. Hopefully it will work our , thanks for your help!

Registered
I am not too sure if the ones from NAPA have the 32mm 6pt nuts. Just check and perhaps get the socket that fits , while you are there. Check their warranty as well. For installation of the seals , if I remember correctly I used an inch and a half pvc pipe coupling ( maybe it was a piece of pvc pipe? I took the seal itself to home depot and matched it)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
The Carquest axle has a 6pt, 32mm axle nut. Autozone loans out an axle socket set that includes both the 30mm and 32mm sizes.
10-4 bud , I went to harbor freight and got a 30 & 32 mm impact socket . Axles looked really good and I also bought a seal puller and have a 1 1/2 pvc coupling. Going to attempt it starting Friday night . Wish me luck and I will definitely reach out if I have any issues 馃憤

Registered
Not to hijack but I'm going to be replacing a whole CV assembly for my 08 fwd very soon as a boot has a tiny leak

Is there any preferred brand of aftermarket CV? Is there official Toyota remanufactured CV that you buy from a Toyota dealer? What's the opinion on the best value cv?

Registered
06LE , I installed two axles , Carquest brand from Advanced auto back in 2016. The drivers side is at 27 k miles now and no issues. At 21K miles I returned the passenger side and installed another . Nothing was wrong with it . I had to install an axle seal on the passenger side and Advanced auto replaced the old one under warranty as I thought it best to replace with a new one. I am sure the old one would have made it to 27k miles as well. The Toyotas brand new are close to 300 bucks each and both aftermarkets were less than 150 bucks. I took a chance on the aftermarket ones since I did the job myself. I can't say for other brands of aftermarkets.

Registered
I put a autozone driver side cv axle and a napa passenger cv axle lifetime warranty both... Both were made by cardone.. Both fit and works no problems. Biggest problem was passenger cv axle is stuck bearings, had to cut it up and then it was pretty easy.

I think my autozone driver side cv axle lasted about 50k, the boots were ok, but the internal joints made clicking noises. Went to autozone and put a new one under lifetime warranty..

But if all youre experiencing is leaky seal.. Then just get new toyota seal from dealer and fix it.. The original toyota cv axle are way better then these aftermarket ones.

Registered
if all youre experiencing is leaky seal.. Then just get new toyota seal from dealer and fix it.. The original toyota cv axle are way better then these aftermarket ones.
Thank you all for the advice and your experiences. Again sorry for hijacking.

I do really prefer Toyota. I looked around online and saw the labor seems quite a lot to just replace seals. Maybe I should just suck it up one way or the other and replace the seals, or get an official Toyota reman/ new OEM. Either way I'll be paying significantly. Time/sweat or money!

Registered
Sorry for the late reply...I was out walking my dog!
Ball Joint Bolts/nuts.....94 ft/lbs
32 mm axle nut.............217 ft/lbs
Bolt with rubber tip ( Carrier bearing Passenger side)....24ft/lbs
Hope it is going good so far.
cheers
Paul

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Hey friend , got the job done and surprisingly the passenger side wasn鈥檛 to bad . When I got everything thing buttoned up and adding transmission fluid I had a big down fall . The driver side seal was pouring fluid out (new seal ) and upset me pretty bad . So after calming down I pulled axle back out (damaged seal cover on axle of course ) and pulled seal . Napa gave me the wrong seal and thankfully are giving me the right one with a new cv axle at no cost . Do you know this or know if there is a video that shows how far that seal is suppose to be set in ? I didn鈥檛 pay attention when I pulled it out the second time do to me being aggravated . Hopefully this will be the last time 馃檹

1 - 20 of 23 Posts