Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Still haven't had a chance to shoot the tensioner with lube. I need to order some 10 inch straws for my cans. The short ones I have don't quite make it and I don't want to get it all over the pulley below. Of course it hasn't made a peep in days now. I have no idea lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still haven't had a chance to shoot the tensioner with lube. I need to order some 10 inch straws for my cans. The short ones I have don't quite make it and I don't want to get it all over the pulley below. Of course it hasn't made a peep in days now. I have no idea lol.
Any update on this one? I have an 07 and am going through what seems like this exact situation right now. Am planning on changing the tensioner pulley later today but based on what I have read here that may not be the fix. If you have any additional insights from your experience, I'd love to here it! If only to prepare me for the letdown... haha. Thx

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looking at mattz video again I think it may be the alternator. I went through the same thing. I replaced both pulleys, power steering pump, tensioner, and water pump. It still made noise. It was the alternator, bad rear bearing. This noise is hard to pinpoint.

Take off the belt and spin the alternator pulley continuously back and forth. Not just spinning it one way. If it is the alternator you will hear it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I remember mine was doing the same thing a while back. Turned out to be one of the idler pulleys. I used this to pinpoint which one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This squeak may literally drive me insane... lol. Can't pinpoint the source of the problem. Have changed (in order) the belt, idler pulleys, and tensioner with limited success. Idlers had a slight grinding and the tensioner was shot and needed to be changed. Now the squeak is only at low rpm... once i get above 1300 rpm it goes silent. Belt looks as if it's running true on all pulleys. I have turned the alternator in both directions and sounds and feels good. Is it possible that the belt is still the issue even though it's new (Gates)? Am I wrong in thinking that if it was a pulley issue the squeak would not go away over 1300 rpm? I just don't want to change out other parts to try to identify the root cause. Thanks to anyone who can give some additional guidance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
An intermittent chirp might be coming from the decoupler pulley on the alternator - that's what was happening on our 2008. The pulley itself contains a bearing and a one-way clutch, and the pulley is considered a maintenance item that lasts maybe 100,000 miles before the bearing/clutch seizes.

I just this past weekend installed a new Gates/Litens decoupler pulley. There are two ways to replace the pulley: the correct way, with a special tool, or using an impact wrench which is less than ideal because it is difficult to get the torque correct when reinstalling. I chose the latter, though I'm not confident enough in it to recommend it. :) I did not have to remove the alternator.

When I removed the dust cover from the old pulley, there was a lot of rust in there.

- G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info, greenlight. I believe that i have indeed pinpointed the squeak to the alternator as it has gotten worse over the last couple of days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just closing the loop on my issues... replaced the alternator yesterday and the engine purrs like a kitten again with no squeaking whatsoever. Took me about 4 hours overall as I tend to be pretty methodical on stuff like this. It's an 07 with 219K. Checked battery voltage with engine running and reading was a full volt higher than prior to changing the alternator (with engine running) which I view as a good thing. Amazing how the stress level decreases when you finally turn the key after a fix and the annoying sound isn't there!

·
Registered
'04 Sienna LE FWD w/ Pkg #7
20 Posts
Andoo - How easy/difficult was it? Do you have any photos/recommendations/tips you can share please?

TIA

·
Registered
'04 Sienna LE FWD w/ Pkg #7
20 Posts
An intermittent chirp might be coming from the decoupler pulley on the alternator - that's what was happening on our 2008. The pulley itself contains a bearing and a one-way clutch, and the pulley is considered a maintenance item that lasts maybe 100,000 miles before the bearing/clutch seizes.

I just this past weekend installed a new Gates/Litens decoupler pulley. There are two ways to replace the pulley: the correct way, with a special tool, or using an impact wrench which is less than ideal because it is difficult to get the torque correct when reinstalling. I chose the latter, though I'm not confident enough in it to recommend it. :) I did not have to remove the alternator.

When I removed the dust cover from the old pulley, there was a lot of rust in there.

- G

So would you rather recommend taking off the alternator and replace the pulley?

TIA,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Andoo - How easy/difficult was it? Do you have any photos/recommendations/tips you can share please?

TIA
nicer20- It was a moderate job, more tedious than anything. I'd give it a 5 out of 10 for difficulty. I didn't take pictures or notes as there are several good posts already in the Gen 2 forum which document pretty comprehensively. Also, some vids on YouTube to get familiar with the process and potential issues. For what it's worth, the most difficult parts for me were the bracket and wiring harness on the bottom right of the alternator and finding the room to get the alternator out (and back in). I ended up draining some of the coolant and unhooking the radiator hose that is right next to the alternator, as well as the 2 little hoses toward the front of the vehicle which are also "in the way" (I believe they are transmission lines but could be wrong) and that gave me just enough room to maneuver it. I also moved the dipstick (1 bolt) and heatshield (3 bolts) to gain access to the difficult bracket.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts