Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've got 3500 on the odometer now after completing a 2500 mile road trip. Think I'll get the oil changed before 5k probably just to be safe, then move to 10k changes after that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I changed mine at 1,000 miles just to get rid of any manufacturing chemicals or break-in particles. I plan to change oil every 5,000 miles in the future. Did this on my last Sienna using Mobil-1 oil, and at 220,000 miles, the engine still didn't use any oil, and had zero oil leaks. Don't let the dealership talk you into 10,000 mile oil change intervals. They have an incentive to sell you another car. If you let them change your oil, just demand oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals, and pay for every other oil change.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I changed mine at 1,000 miles just to get rid of any manufacturing chemicals or break-in particles. I plan to change oil every 5,000 miles in the future. Did this on my last Sienna using Mobil-1 oil, and at 220,000 miles, the engine still didn't use any oil, and had zero oil leaks. Don't let the dealership talk you into 10,000 mile oil change intervals. They have an incentive to sell you another car. If you let them change your oil, just demand oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals, and pay for every other oil change.
Vehicles with fully synthetic oil do not need 5k oil changes unless you drive in extreme conditions. If you want to do it, more power to you as it certainly won't hurt, but neither will doing 7500-10k changes. don't pretend like the vehicle manufacturer (maintenance schedule is published directly by the people who engineered your vehicle at the manufacturer, NOT the dealer) is trying to rip you off and make your car less reliable by recommending 10k oil changes. If they recommend 10k oil changes and that causes reliability issues, you aren't likely to purchase that manufacturer again, so your theory doesn't make any sense. That said, unless you exclusively do highway driving with no load etc. I wouldn't wait the full 10k either.

I've got a Lexus on full synthetic with 240k miles. 7500-10k oil changes. Not a single mechanical issue that was not normal wear and tear, and no leaks or oil consumption. My infiniti went 110k on full synthetic also with the same 7500-10k oil change and no issues before I traded it in for the sienna.

Just as I've done with all my other cars, after my first oil change with close to 10k on it I'll be sending the oil in for analysis and will base my future oil maintenance schedule on the results, but I see no reason why the results won't be the same as my Lexus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will this take 0w20 ok or only 0w16?
The Car Nut Guy had a good youtube video on why you have to use the 0W-16 oil on the the 2.5L engine. I got mine via Amazon (Valvoline). Very reasonable. Purchased the oil filter from the dealer though. Apparently, amazon sells some fakes. It isn't that much more at the dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Car Nut Guy had a good youtube video on why you have to use the 0W-16 oil on the the 2.5L engine. I got mine via Amazon (Valvoline). Very reasonable. Purchased the oil filter from the dealer though. Apparently, amazon sells some fakes. It isn't that much more at the dealer.
Oil filters are the same model as current Camry/Rav4/etc right? Pretty much a one size for all for the 2.5L engine models?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oil filters are the same model as current Camry/Rav4/etc right? Pretty much a one size for all for the 2.5L engine models?
I believe they are the same. It is a cannister versus a cartridge. I have the part number in another thread about oil changing.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
<Distraction : An Automobile forum without a lively and perpetual Oil change thread is like a circus without a clown ;).
I hope no one takes a personal offence. Circus and clown is the only "Ironic Without" scenario coming to my mind right now. May be "a banana without the peel??" >

FWIW, I happened to browse thru the maintenance schedule recently. It spells out that under certain driving conditions, 5K oil change is required. Here's a copy of 5K service. Skip to last four sections about 5K Oil Change exceptions.

I doubt all dealers would ask you about these special conditionls. I suppose the owner is responsible for owning these up and ask the dealer to do additional oil change.

5,000 miles or 6 months

■ Add Toyota EFI Tank Additive or equivalent
(Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Saipan only)
■ Check installation of driver’s floor mat
■ Inspect and adjust all fluid levels1
■ Inspect HV battery cooling intake filter 4
■ Inspect wiper blades
■ Rotate tires
■ Visually inspect brake linings/drums
and brake pads/discs

Additional Maintenance Items for
Special Operating Conditions3