Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agreed! Never go by the color of the oil on the dipstick, lol. The mileage and time and oil analysis only if you want to go longer on the oil. There is no need to change oil early like some have suggested at 1,000 or 1,500 miles on new engines. Thats a thing of the past. Waste of $ and oil resources. Go by the owners manual for oil changes. every 10,000 miles regular service or every 5,000 miles severe service for oil changes.
A Toyota master technician on YouTube advises against the 10k interval. See this video: How to maintain your Toyota Part 1 : Engine oil and Filters (relevant part starts at 3 mins to approx 6:30 mins). He specifically says do 5k or 6 months to avoid problems down the road.

He highly recommends a break in oil change at 1k miles if you are planning to keep the vehicle a long time. Also emphasizes being aware of the "severe" conditions that would prompt a 5k interval and suggests just do 5k for simplicity. Video here: Never do THIS to your New Toyota and Toyota Hybrid (5 mins 10 sec mark)

The way I see it... is that you can't change your oil too often, but you can certainly go too long between oil changes and damage your engine. I have usually done it at 3K anyway, oil is cheap. I have never waited the 7,500 -10K max for an oil change. I look at that as the max limit the manufacturers say you can wait and not as a guideline.
Agree 100%. There is no harm changing it more frequently.

Changing at 3k is nothing but you padding the pockets of your local service department/mechanic. If it makes you comfortable though, more power to you.
I don't think service departments are making much profit off a simple ~$50-70 oil change. Will they recommend other more expensive service with higher margins...some of them yes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A Toyota master technician on YouTube advises against the 10k interval. See this video: How to maintain your Toyota Part 1 : Engine oil and Filters (relevant part starts at 3 mins to approx 6:30 mins). He specifically says do 5k or 6 months to avoid problems down the road.

He highly recommends a break in oil change at 1k miles if you are planning to keep the vehicle a long time. Also emphasizes being aware of the "severe" conditions that would prompt a 5k interval and suggests just do 5k for simplicity. Video here: Never do THIS to your New Toyota and Toyota Hybrid (5 mins 10 sec mark)

Agree 100%. There is no harm changing it more frequently.

I don't think service departments are making much profit off a simple ~$50-70 oil change. Will they recommend other more expensive service with higher margins...some of them yes.
Personally, I follow the severe duty in the Sienna owners manual, change it every 5k miles, just like my previous 3rd generation 2014 Sienna. I do some of the severe stuff in the northeast winter here, shorter trips in under 32 degree weather etc. One thing I do on all my cars, I use the OEM, mfg oil filter. Thats what the vehicle was designed to run with. Sure you can use other brands.. I've never had a problem with OEM filters. I had issue years ago with aftermarket Fram. I usually only go to the dealer. Other private garages aren't much cheaper on the oil change. Sometimes they are more $. Who knows if they are using right oil etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those of you that did the 1k oil change, did you go to the dealership or somewhere else? I’m thinking of going to my local Valvoline for the first one and then the dealer for my free 5k oil change. Thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
FYI although it says Toyota care is included, the fine print is 2 oil changes only because the manufacturer recommendation is an oil change every 10,000 miles. Some people will still do a break in 1,000 mile engine break in oil change and oil changes every 5,000 miles. The 5,000 mile maintenance does not include an oil change and if you ask, they will count it as apart of your 2 oil change. If you do it yourself the filter is 90915-yzzn1. 90915YZZN1 - Filter s/a, oil - Genuine Toyota Part

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
546 Posts
FYI although it says Toyota care is included, the fine print is 2 oil changes only because the manufacturer recommendation is an oil change every 10,000 miles. Some people will still do a break in 1,000 mile engine break in oil change and oil changes every 5,000 miles. The 5,000 mile maintenance does not include an oil change and if you ask, they will count it as apart of your 2 oil change. If you do it yourself the filter is 90915-yzzn1. 90915YZZN1 - Filter s/a, oil - Genuine Toyota Part
Detour : Parts list mentions that this oil filter is good for 2022 Sienna too. Clicking on "2022 Sienna" takes it to link below. Ii may be a generic stub/webpage, but it lists 2022 Sienna in additional "Base" and "Outdoor" trims. The Limited is missing from the trim list too. I guess going thru parts diagram might provide some clues on what might be changing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Exactly! One time Toyota in 2014, gave me 3 free oil changes. on the 2 yr 25k plan. I didn't even have to argue.
That said, I would never waste an oil change at the first 1k miles on a new car, my opinion. The engineers that built the cars, the book says 5k miles change interval for severe and 10k normal for oil changes. There is no break in interval change. Unless someone wants to waste their time, $$ and extra oil pollution.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also heard the story/rumor is new vehicles have a different break in oil for the oil put in the very first time. Is it this case for this? So one should run it a while longer or just change at 1k miles?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
185 Posts
Honda adds some additives for the first oil fill. The dealers discourage you from getting the oil changed before the maintenance minder tells you (at 15% oil life remaining). For a highway driven car, this is about 8500 miles. City driven is probably lower. Not sure what Toyota does, but I would not be surprised if they didn't do something similar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also heard the story/rumor is new vehicles have a different break in oil for the oil put in the very first time. Is it this case for this? So one should run it a while longer or just change at 1k miles?
That could be true.. Honda's back in 2007 and 2011 on their 3.5L V6 did that, according to my owners manual. For the Toyota I would not change it until at least the first 5,000 (Severe).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed! Never go by the color of the oil on the dipstick, lol. The mileage and time and oil analysis only if you want to go longer on the oil. There is no need to change oil early like some have suggested at 1,000 or 1,500 miles on new engines. Thats a thing of the past. Waste of $ and oil resources. Go by the owners manual for oil changes. every 10,000 miles regular service or every 5,000 miles severe service for oil changes.
The part I don't get is here in Canada the manual calls for oil change every 6 months or 8,000km (whichever comes first) (approx. 5,000 miles). It makes no sense that you guys in the states can go double that? We get the same winter as New York/Pennsylvania.. (granted in the northern climates it may need a higher frequency just does not make sense to me for my geography).

·
Registered
59 Posts
The part I don't get is here in Canada the manual calls for oil change every 6 months or 8,000km (whichever comes first) (approx. 5,000 miles). It makes no sense that you guys in the states can go double that? We get the same winter as New York/Pennsylvania.. (granted in the northern climates it may need a higher frequency just does not make sense to me for my geography).
I would go with every 5,000 miles, thats what we do, that is the severe change in the US models.

·
Premium Member
2021 Sienna LE Plus AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
224 Posts
I wonder if the members of the Frequent Oil Change Community treat other fluids in the car in the same way as the do the engine oil, for example the brake fluid, the engine coolant, the whatever fluid there is in Toyota hybrid transmission parts? How about other disposables, like the air filters?

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE FWD & 2021 Sienna LE FWD
63 Posts
I waited to change the oil on a new dodge Durango until the maintenance warning came on, just like I was ordered to do (work vehicle) and man was that oil ugly. I don't drive much so I will stick to the severe schedule, I figure it needs a change once a year due to oxidation. when you do it on a regular schedule it's easier to remember when (5k, 10k, 15k, etc)

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is our first time owning a new Toyota so apologies for the newbie question here but can someone explain precisely what's included and what to ask for? We are at 5000 miles and the "maintenance needed" indicator just came on. I'm planning to take it to a new dealer for this service (the one we purchased it from is much farther away from us) and want to understand what's included and what to ask for.

We didn't purchase any extra service packages and didn't prepay any service. Does the first maintenance always trigger at 5k or is the van "deciding" based on driving patterns that we're on the severe schedule? I'm of course not expecting any problems with a brand new vehicle but just want to make sure I'm clear on what's included with the purchase. Thanks!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can use this site below to see what maintenance is scheduled. At 5K, it would be a tire rotation and inspection of fluids/filters/parts.

Online Toyota Vehicle Maintenance and Service Schedule | Toyota Owners
Thanks! Interestingly that site only has siennas up to 2020. So would the idea of this thread be moving forward the 10,000 mi service and doing it at 5,000 mi. along with the tire rotation? I realize that many move it even more forward and do it at 1,000 mi, but that ship has sailed for me.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
364 Posts
Thanks! Interestingly that site only has siennas up to 2020. So would the idea of this thread be moving forward the 10,000 mi service and doing it at 5,000 mi. along with the tire rotation? I realize that many move it even more forward and do it at 1,000 mi, but that ship has sailed for me.
Yeah that's the net of the thread. It won't hurt but it's not a magic cure all that will make sure your van runs clean for 300k miles either.

5k service is normally just tire rotation and fluid check. Nothing more. Your van triggered the light/notice solely on the miles reached, not based on driving habits.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was able to choose the 2021. You need to select "Sienna Hybrid" instead of "Sienna".

Regarding the oil change; opinions go across the spectrum around here, you will not find a uniform answer. My personal approach is to perform the very first oil change within 1-3K and then subsequent changes every 5K. I change my own oil.

Here is a video worth the watch:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you guys change at 1000 miles regardless of what the oil looks like?

I just passed 1000 miles and the oil is still looking ok. (Yes, an oil change isn't a lot, but I'm just wondering if it makes more sense just to keep an eye on it without changing for now--especially if the original oil has additives.)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts