Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
after my initial oil change, i do not anticipate needing an oil filter wrench. filters should not be cranked down to the point past hand tight. looks like a great filter wrench, but a bit much for one time use IMHO.

i use a fumoto oil valve in my '15 outback, i am contemplating getting it for the sienna. it really helps in managing the oil coming out instead of a sudden and uncontrollable gush.

the oil funnel is interesting. i use the 5 qt jugs though and it looks like the funnel is too small to be able to balance that on top.

·
Registered
228 Posts
At my 5k mile ToyotaCare service, I asked for an oil change and offered to pay out of pocket. The service tech mentioned we could just move up the 10k service instead, but I opted against that. They charged me $36.36 for the oil service.

At that price, I will likely continue to do an oil service every 5k or 6 months.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
80 Posts
What is the amount of oil you guys put in for the oil change? According to the manual, the Sienna needs 4.5L along with the oil filter. But when I drained the oil from the factory, it came out to around 4.8L. I checked the dipstick before and after the oil change. Before changing, the oil level was up to the top pip. After putting in 4.5L, it doesn't quite get up to the top pip.

I asked a service advisor at my dealership and he seemed pretty clueless and just said to fill it to whatever level that came from the factory.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm going to do the 1k service with a jug of 0w16 mobil 1 from Walmart. All that debris from the first wear and tear of a brand new engine, all the sealants that are used in the production of an engine can be in the oil, etc. Better to get all that crud out of there sooner rather than later. Then another service at 5k out of pocket. Honestly, because it's just a 4cyl engine, I'll probably keep service intervals at 5k since it'll be more stressed than if the van had a V6. If you guys want to see what really happens with 10k intervals, look up the car care nut channel on YouTube.

On my prius prime, I'll probably do 7500mi intervals.

None of my cars will ever go 10k for an oil change. Engine replacements will cost thousands. Oil changes are like $50 a pop.

·
Registered
575 Posts
because it's just a 4cyl engine, I'll probably keep service intervals at 5k since it'll be more stressed than if the van had a V6
I'd agree with this if the van relied solely on the 4-cyl ICE for propulsion, but it doesn't. That engine is only on a fraction of the time since the van is also powered by the traction batteries. You need to update your thinking to include both... a pure V6 may require less grunt for various hills, but it's running 100% of the time that the van is. The hybrid with a four banger may need fractionally more effort on those few hills you occasionally hit, but it's also supplemented by the batteries and will never ever be running 100% of the time the van is turned on. Over the same time period / duration, your hybrid sienna engine actually runs LESS often and is responsible for FEWER miles than your non-hybrid V6.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd agree with this if the van relied solely on the 4-cyl ICE for propulsion, but it doesn't. That engine is only on a fraction of the time since the van is also powered by the traction batteries. You need to update your thinking to include both... a pure V6 may require less grunt for various hills, but it's running 100% of the time that the van is. The hybrid with a four banger may need fractionally more effort on those few hills you occasionally hit, but it's also supplemented by the batteries and will never ever be running 100% of the time the van is turned on. Over the same time period / duration, your hybrid sienna engine actually runs LESS often and is responsible for FEWER miles than your non-hybrid V6.
This is correct. Just like the reason Prius's are most targeted for their catalytic converters. Its because they don't use their gas engine 100% of the time, so the cat is "newer" than the average car. Probably same with the oil in hybrids.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I get what you're saying. Im always paying attention to the Hybrid system and the engine is on pretty often. At most I would go would be 7500mi before an oil change, but that will be after the 2yr free maintenance period, since 5k interval lines up with the included service.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts