Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Located in MB, Canada

Just want to throw this out there. We've had our Sienna Limited for almost a year. Short or long trips, the van is driven for at least 30 mins a day. The temperature has been mild for the past week, -10c at worst during the night. We noticed the battery died for the first time on past Sunday. We have it boosted, drove around for 1 hour to charge it up. And it died again the following morning. We have it boosted again on Tuesday and took it to the dealership.

Dealership charged the battery for 2 hours and tested it. It passed the test so we were told the battery is fine and it will not be replaced. We were told to have the car towed in if the battery dies again. We were not happy about the result but there's nothing that we could do.

The car suvived Wednesday but sure enough, it was dead again on Thursday morning. We called roadside assisstant and the tow truck showed up in about 1 hour. We got a phone call when the car arrived dealership and then by noon, the dealership called and said the battery failed the test right away this time so they had it replaced.

When I was picking up the car, the technician mentioned this is the third Sienna with 12V battery issue within 2 weeks. He suspecets it was either a bad batch of battery or it was a batch of have-been-sitting-around-but-still-new batteries used due to chip shortage.

If you are experiencing this issue, get in contact with your dealership. The tow truck guy did mention he does notice more battery failure on hybrid cars during winter.

I hope this might come in handy when you run into similar issue.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
698 Posts
There has been a reported issue with kick sensors wearing down the battery on the 22, particularly when caked with mud or snow. I have not heard of a fix for the issue other than disabling the kick sensors.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it’s covered by dirt and snow, you can wipe it, but through winter it will be constantly filthy and would need to be wiped after nearly every drive so is often easier to just disable until spring… or chance it and boost the battery when it dies
Not sure if this will also help, but we have a 15 year old prius with an old 12v battery and with smart keys (but no kick sensors) that we park outside. On very cold nights (10 deg below freezing or colder), we disable the smart key system (small button on the lower dash makes that easy). We noticed that, in extreme cold, the smart key system would drain the old 12v battery (since the prius and sienna has a radio receiver that runs on the 12v system and is powered on 24/7). So that might be something to do for the Sienna to preserve its 12v battery as well.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
698 Posts
Is there something we should be doing to clean the kick sensor?
It is not the kick sensor itself that needs to be cleaned, but the area around the kick sensor location. This would be the underside of the rocker panel area in the space near where the kick sensor indicator is. I am not sure whether this affects the rear hatch kick sensor as well.

The odd thing is that I have not had this problem with my 21 and the reports that I have seen generally applied to the 22, so there must be something that could be fixed.

The kick sensor is disabled on the MID under the vehicle settings, PSD (power sliding doors). There should be a selection for each of the sliding doors. There is also a kick sensor disable for PBD (power back door).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts