Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Situation:

Bought wife a new 2007 Volvo XC90, she loved it. BUT..... she hated having to hop over seats to get to the 3rd row.
We had car seats for both kids in the 2nd row and the 2nd row wouldn't fold down with the car seats.

I suggested a minivan, she said no way, (she was too young and cool) so she chose a new 2012 GMC Acadia.

Well after about a month the Acadia was too cheap feeling... in the way and drove and handled and the interior finishes.

I have a Volvo S60 and she drives my car and loves it... says it handles so much better.

sigh.

Now after both of her sisters got them, she wants....

a minivan.

We drove the 15 Odyssey, (the 16 Pilot... for kicks) and the 15 Sienna.

The Sienna won as her favorite. She loved the interior finish, comfort and the drive.

But the price tag is KILLING ME.

Wife wants DVD player, captain's chairs, rear cam, and prefers leather seats.

It sucks because Sienna won't let you get a DVD Player until you get to the XLE Premium.

Toyota dealer says he has no incentives on the XLE, really... we're looking at 43K

Which is pretty rough on my budget.

There is a 2015 loaner van XLE Premium at the dealer.... they're asking 40K

We decided to consider the 2016 Odyssey SE, because MSRP is around 32K and it comes with DVD Player
but cloth seats. Dealer is looking at 28K to close that deal.

Wife says she can live with cloth seats, to save 10 grand.

Honda dealer says we can also do a 15 EX-L with leather for around the same price.

But then, the wild card. Someone came in to the dealer and traded in a 2012 Volkswagen Routan SEL
with a whopping 8K miles on it.

one owner, and in amazing shape, 2 year/48K warranty Dealer is asking $19,800 I can get it for less I'm sure. 20K savings off that new Sienna.

I pay $510 per month for the Acadia now, I would have a payment around $250 with the Roatan and still be able to pay off 2 big bills with the money I save.

But oh the Roatan... I hear such horrid things.... It's a Chrysler, they aren't reliable, VW Mechanics don't know how to service them, and they're cheap in the inside.... that's her issue now with the Acadia. But even she thinks we need to look hard at a van with leather, navi, dvd, and everything else on our list.

Sad thing is if I could get a DVD player in an Sienna LE we would get it! There's a ton of them for sale in the 20's.... We have an aftermarket DVD player in our acadia and the wife and even kids, HATE that thing... and it's a pricey Rosen in dash model.

So.... what would you do?

Pay the 40 for the Sienna loaner, 28K for the Odyssey with cloth seats, or less than 19K for the Roatan that was driven from home to the school around the corner and back?

Thoughts? Want to put a bow on one and get it home for Christmas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pay the 40 for Sienna, at least it's close to what you want, don't pick the VW, as you will have lots of surprises money to dump on that van.
At least you know you don't have that many problem if you own Sienna/odyssey.
So it's either Honda or Toyota in your case.
My friend have a 2015 odyssey and their QC has gone downhill really bad, uneven gap on fender and doors.
I am not bias to Honda, I wish I don't picked a Sienna too. But seems like Sienna is my last option when I got my '15 SE.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you wife is happy with the Routan, then I'd go for that one. Invest the money you saved, and you should be able to pay cash for the next vehicle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
cant go wrong with a sienna but....if youre willing to wait out another 7 months or so you could possibly get your hands on a 2017 Odyssey, which will look ten times better than the current model. Google image the 2017 model and look for yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where are you? I'm seeing XLEs around here for 32 before haggling. We just paid around 24 for a CPO 15 with <20k, might be worth a flight...

·
Registered
101 Posts
sounds like you're getting ripped off - our new XLE premium was $34,999 after discount ($40k sticker)
Seriously! The Toyota site says MSRP for the XLE Premium is $38,605, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it for at least a little less than that. (If you go with the 7 passenger version, it does jump to $41K, but that's still less than what you listed).

Buy an LE model, buy after market DVD player or convince her that tablets/smartphones are the new dvd.
^This!
The LE might be a bit extreme, since you do lose a number of other features, but it would keep the price down. We opted for the SE and went with the Preferred package so that I could get the options I wanted but NOT the factory entertainment system. As I've said before, the factory rear entertainment system will add about $3000 to the price, and just isn't very good, especially at that price. It's not *bad*, but the screen is pretty low resolution (and looks like it), and the whole system is fairly limited in what it can do- especially when it comes to playing movies from USB/SD instead of using actual discs.
We picked up a couple Android tablets for about $140 each, and couldn't be happier. I lose the ability to control them from the front, but they can do so much more than the factory system, and can easily be taken in to restaurants/stores/etc if/when the need arises. I'm still planning on putting in an aftermarket entertainment system at some point, but I have no doubt it will be far better than the factory one and will cost far less.

·
Registered
191 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE VW!!!!
It is just a rebadged Chrysler/Dodge. I recondition the trade in vehicles at the dealership I work at and I would not wish the VW upon my worst enemy.

Get cloth interior and have leather added - Katzkin leather kits usually run around $1,000 installed.

In car entertainment can be added too.

There are cheaper options out there to get the car that you want.

·
Registered
60 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE VW!!!!
It is just a rebadged Chrysler/Dodge. I recondition the trade in vehicles at the dealership I work at and I would not wish the VW upon my worst enemy.

Get cloth interior and have leather added - Katzkin leather kits usually run around $1,000 installed.

In car entertainment can be added too.

There are cheaper options out there to get the car that you want.
Not to mention that the Routan didn't come with stow and go 2nd row, so you don't even get the storage, and it was originally more expensive than the other FCA cars it was derived from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts