Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD
9 Posts
I am wanting to do something similar. Will start with removing the 3rd row seats. Will place 2 100Ah Lithium batteries. A 2000w inverter/charger, a 30a DC to DC Charger to charge the batteries from the 12 battery in the back, a 12v USB ports, associated battery terminals, Busbar, cables etc. I believe that all this will fit in the 3rd seat space. This should provide power for a fan, and a small heater, and other associated things. Hopefully good for overnight trips, etc.
John

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am wanting to do something similar. Will start with removing the 3rd row seats. Will place 2 100Ah Lithium batteries. A 2000w inverter/charger, a 30a DC to DC Charger to charge the batteries from the 12 battery in the back, a 12v USB ports, associated battery terminals, Busbar, cables etc. I believe that all this will fit in the 3rd seat space. This should provide power for a fan, and a small heater, and other associated things. Hopefully good for overnight trips, etc.
John
Curious why you didn’t just get the oem 1500watt? Seems like a lot of $$$ and trouble when the vehicle has many of those things. You’re looking at $4,000?

You should be able run the hybrid Sienna’s HVAC overnight.

I can understand if you want to run a fridge when the vehicle is off and parked. A Dometic PLB40 solves that, gives you USB and 12v power.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seats are a none issue for me. Easy enough to remove with some tools.
How are you covering up the sharp seat rails? How often do you plan on putting the seats back in? Were you able to turn off the constant air bag warnings? Thank you for answering my silly questions.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD
9 Posts
Curious why you didn’t just get the oem 1500watt? Seems like a lot of $$$ and trouble when the vehicle has many of those things. You’re looking at $4,000?

You should be able run the hybrid Sienna’s HVAC overnight.

I can understand if you want to run a fridge when the vehicle is off and parked. A Dometic PLB40 solves that, gives you USB and 12v power.
All good points, I felt that having the additional battery backup would be an advantage,

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD
9 Posts
All good points, I felt that having the additional battery backup would be an advantage,
Also, that I didn't remember at the time, the dealer that I used stated that to get the inverter that I had to order the plus package, and the entertainment package, that added up to $3500, curious to see if anyone can get the inverter with the plus package and not the entertainment package.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also, that I didn't remember at the time, the dealer that I used stated that to get the inverter that I had to order the plus package, and the entertainment package, that added up to $3500, curious to see if anyone can get the inverter with the plus package and not the entertainment package.
It's almost criminal that a $300 extremely functional and desired option, costs over 10k. Just offer the damn option for $300 on every trim, including LE. Even mark it up more, to make it more profitable. Texas just proved they can sell that option on every hybrid for a good profit. Wake up toyota. A little good will.... please

·
Registered
97 Posts
How are you covering up the sharp seat rails? How often do you plan on putting the seats back in? Were you able to turn off the constant air bag warnings? Thank you for answering my silly questions.
In the maybe 1x in 5 years (hence why its a non issue for ME) I would do it I'm sure I can cover the rails with something, looks like 2 1x4s with a spacers would easily cover them and use the existing hole to secure it.

I would just ignore the seatbelt light for the day or two.

If I had more than 2 sheets of 4x8 or larger items I'd just rent Home Depot's truck for $20. Again thats for my usage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You just need the plus package to get the inverter (on the XSE at least) Its shown on the website.

Edit:

Looks like on the XLE you need the ''XLE plus package with options'' still a heck of a deal considering what it would cost to do it aftermarket.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's almost criminal that a $300 extremely functional and desired option, costs over 10k. Just offer the damn option for $300 on every trim, including LE. Even mark it up more, to make it more profitable. Texas just proved they can sell that option on every hybrid for a good profit. Wake up toyota. A little good will.... please
There is a reason items are in packages and not a la carte bespoke builds. It would increase overall MSRP for everything by slowing the production line to a crawl.

You gotta pay to play. If you needed a 1500 watt inverter you can easily put one in aftermarket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a reason items are in packages and not a la carte bespoke builds. It would increase overall MSRP for everything by slowing the production line to a crawl.

You gotta pay to play. If you needed a 1500 watt inverter you can easily put one in aftermarket.
re - aftermarket - 1500W sine wave inverters can be had for less than $300 for the device only - but the owner's manual implies a fairly high level of integration with the hybrid system (temperature and state of charge of the traction battery) - could the smallish 12V battery in the Sienna and the 12V charging system run the aftermarket inverter reliably?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD
9 Posts
re - aftermarket - 1500W sine wave inverters can be had for less than $300 for the device only - but the owner's manual implies a fairly high level of integration with the hybrid system (temperature and state of charge of the traction battery) - could the smallish 12V battery in the Sienna and the 12V charging system run the aftermarket inverter reliably?
Which brings me to the question; what exactly does the 12V battery in the rear power? Does the hybrid battery only power the electric motors?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which brings me to the question; what exactly does the 12V battery in the rear power? Does the hybrid battery only power the electric motors?
12V only really boots the computers and provides initial power up to 12v accessories, 12V also powers the HVAC blower motors. Engine starts, AC compressor, etc are powered from the traction battery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In the maybe 1x in 5 years (hence why its a non issue for ME) I would do it I'm sure I can cover the rails with something, looks like 2 1x4s with a spacers would easily cover them and use the existing hole to secure it.

I would just ignore the seatbelt light for the day or two.

If I had more than 2 sheets of 4x8 or larger items I'd just rent Home Depot's truck for $20. Again thats for my usage.
Thank you. I mistakenly thought you were the guy that was going to leave out the seats long term.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can find out! I have a 1k and 2k sine wave inverter sitting around. The size of the fuse leads me to believe serious current is going to that 12v

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is the 1500w inverter hooked up to the traction battery or the 12v battery. Ah, I see the question was asked already though not definitively answered.

The Sienna will be my first hybrid and I hadn't considered the logistical changes to the electrical system that entailed. If the inverter is tied to the traction battery, that's a different matter than an aftermarket hookup to the 12v at similar a similar load: I'm no electrician, but 1500w for the occasional use is attractive to me.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts