Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have people used their 1500w outlets for? Or, what are you excited about potentially using them for?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use it to heat the van :D

I have a 1500W space heater (with tip-protection) that I use to help heat up the van when coming home from skiing or idling in the winter. When coming home we have a long descent down a mountain, the HV battery fills up fast and the ICE has no reason to run OTHER than heating the cabin. So I turn off the van's heater and turn on the space heater. It gets me more regen braking and keeps us warm. Same thing if we take a lunch break in the van. If I turn on the van, keep the van's heater off, and use the space heater the cabin stays nice and warm and the ICE only runs every ~15 minutes or so. If I do the same thing but have the van's heater on the ICE runs almost constantly just to produce heat.

I have also used it to plug in my shop vac when cleaning out the van.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use it to heat the van :D

I have a 1500W space heater (with tip-protection) that I use to help heat up the van when coming home from skiing or idling in the winter. When coming home we have a long descent down a mountain, the HV battery fills up fast and the ICE has no reason to run OTHER than heating the cabin. So I turn off the van's heater and turn on the space heater. It gets me more regen braking and keeps us warm. Same thing if we take a lunch break in the van. If I turn on the van, keep the van's heater off, and use the space heater the cabin stays nice and warm and the ICE only runs every ~15 minutes or so. If I do the same thing but have the van's heater on the ICE runs almost constantly just to produce heat.

I have also used it to plug in my shop vac when cleaning out the van.
Would you please share which space heater you are using?

We have used a heated blanket, Roku ultra, vacuum, shop light, laptop charger, and a few other things of that nature.

I plan on trying a PetSafe or similar wireless dog containment system plugged into the van. So many possibilities.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
898 Posts
Instapot, Microwave, electric leaf blower, 110v vaccuam, bright indoor lamps during dry outdoors, electric griddle so ar for me.

I just bought a Ridgid 50ft 14/3 outdoor extension cord too. We didn't have power for about a day last week. It didn't get too bad, but the extension cord can help with the freeze, microwave, small space Heater, and electric stove ( Just one at a time).

Some more thoughts in an earlier thread bow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does the engine need to run for the inverter to work? Or can it run off battery for a while and the engine starts up once battery is low?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Instapot, Microwave, electric leaf blower, 110v vaccuam, bright indoor lamps during dry outdoors, electric griddle so ar for me.

I just bought a Ridgid 50ft 14/3 outdoor extension cord too. We didn't have power for about a day last week. It didn't get too bad, but the extension cord can help with the freeze, microwave, small space Heater, and electric stove ( Just one at a time).

Some more thoughts in an earlier thread bow.

So like cousin Eddie turning Sienna into tenement on wheels!! :)

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
431 Posts
Does the engine need to run for the inverter to work? Or can it run off battery for a while and the engine starts up once battery is low?
The car needs to be in READY mode. The inverter is powered from the traction battery. When the traction battery gets low, the engine comes on to charge the traction battery. Once it is deemed adequately charged, the engine shuts off. The engine continues to cycle on and off as needed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The car needs to be in READY mode. The inverter is powered from the traction battery. When the traction battery gets low, the engine comes on to charge the traction battery. Once it is deemed adequately charged, the engine shuts off. The engine continues to cycle on and off as needed.
This is exactly why I use a space heater for keeping the van warm when parked. The ICE generates WAY more electricity in a few minutes than needed to keep the interior warm but it needs to run near constantly in below freezing temps to keep the interior warm using waste heat.

Funny that the Canadian 22 has an electric interior pre-heater option ...

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
898 Posts
So like cousin Eddie turning Sienna into tenement on wheels!! :)
Blame it on covid :mad:.

Our weekend get togethers among 5 close friends' families now consists of going for hikes in parks nearby, followed by dinner we take along. 1500W outlet helps with warming up some of it, and also plug-in lights if we can't get a shelter with outlets.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is exactly why I use a space heater for keeping the van warm when parked. The ICE generates WAY more electricity in a few minutes than needed to keep the interior warm but it needs to run near constantly in below freezing temps to keep the interior warm using waste heat.

Funny that the Canadian 22 has an electric interior pre-heater option ...
Where is this option???

·
Registered
225 Posts
Where is this option???
See the "Comfort+ Complete" option at the bottom of: 2022 Toyota Sienna Features | Toyota Canada

"COMFORT+ Complete Includes: Programmable Cabin Warmer and Block Heater with Battery Trickle Charger. For ultimate comfort, enjoy a warm cabin right from the start - no idling required. The Cabin Warmer is a sleek and compact interior heater that is permanently mounted inside the vehicle cabin. As the Cabin Warmer heats up the interior of the vehicle, ice, and snow buildup on the exterior of the vehicle may be reduced, potentially eliminating the need to scrape away ice or brush away snow. The Battery Trickle Charger keeps your battery optimally charged even when you're parked for extended periods of time. By adding the Block Heater and Cabin Warmer with the Programmable Bluetooth Controller to the Battery Trickle Charger, you will be able to control, and schedule engine and cabin heating, monitor the outside temperature and many more features through the Toyota COMFORT+ App."

I haven't looked too much to see if there would be any way to retrofit that into a 21 US model.

·
Registered
193 Posts
See the "Comfort+ Complete" option at the bottom of: 2022 Toyota Sienna Features | Toyota Canada

"COMFORT+ Complete Includes: Programmable Cabin Warmer and Block Heater with Battery Trickle Charger. For ultimate comfort, enjoy a warm cabin right from the start - no idling required. The Cabin Warmer is a sleek and compact interior heater that is permanently mounted inside the vehicle cabin. As the Cabin Warmer heats up the interior of the vehicle, ice, and snow buildup on the exterior of the vehicle may be reduced, potentially eliminating the need to scrape away ice or brush away snow. The Battery Trickle Charger keeps your battery optimally charged even when you're parked for extended periods of time. By adding the Block Heater and Cabin Warmer with the Programmable Bluetooth Controller to the Battery Trickle Charger, you will be able to control, and schedule engine and cabin heating, monitor the outside temperature and many more features through the Toyota COMFORT+ App."

I haven't looked too much to see if there would be any way to retrofit that into a 21 US model.
wow $1500 for this? that's real expensive for what it is. It doesn't get cold enough for extended times in southern ontario to make it worth it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have Velocity 5 Whole Room Heater with Auto Climate in our van, our local Ace hardware had it for WAY less than MSRP. Works really well to heat up the van fast.
Thx for sharing which you got. My biggest concern is heaters pushing the limits of the 1500W threshold. I’m anxious about putting too heavy a strain on the system. Sounds like maybe that’s not an issue for you with this particular unit, though?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thx for sharing which you got. My biggest concern is heaters pushing the limits of the 1500W threshold. I’m anxious about putting too heavy a strain on the system. Sounds like maybe that’s not an issue for you with this particular unit, though?
I haven't had any issues so far. I'm assuming the inverter is well protected (you know people are going to abuse it). I've run the heater for upwards of an hour with zero problem. It gets the van up to temp pretty quickly and then ramps down its output so it isn't just a constant 1500w load.

·
Registered
201 Posts
wow $1500 for this? that's real expensive for what it is. It doesn't get cold enough for extended times in southern ontario to make it worth it.
If this would also top up the traction battery I would get it. Starting with a full HV battery and a warm engine would really improve the mileage, especially on short trips on cold days, and give you a slight plug-in-hybrid performance,

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow that is super interesting. Note that your heater choice (the Vortex) is also consumer reports recommended as I recall so it's a great choice... a number of the Vortex/Vornado models do quite well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My origianl plan was to run tire warmer for my motorcycle, it's about 1100w when starting.
But I have been using it a lot more than I thought would, run vacuum, power tool and stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts