Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time poster here for your interested on a lift with your Sienna. I have done mine with a set of custom made 2 inch coil springs and I have done more than 20,000 km on them before I post here. I'm a 4x4 off-road nuts and when comes to putting a family visit on country side out of town for weekends in winter, a van with good ground clearance is necessary. I am not a fan with the rear air bag band-aid solution therefore that was not my consideration. I have seen too many rear overloaded Sienna so I want to do it right.

I have specs the springs to increase the spring-rate for 25% front and 30% rear with extra 300 lbs payload capacity. Things I loaded at the back does not sag the rear of my van. I am satisfied with this mod.

For those who knows a bit of suspension and I am using the OEM shocks. Aftermarket options are limited. If the the road have a big drop on elevation or a dip. I do get the front shocks topped out. I do not care that too much because I do not drive too fast over bumps and dips if I knew there is one coming.

I may try the SE front shocks in the future because they have the same length of extension like my XLE and the valving of the shocks are more aggressive. However rear shocks on the SE are shorter 26" vs XLE have the 27", which I am not interested.

The latest mod to my van was that I up with a taller tire size with 235/60-18 Toyo Observe GSi-5 winter tires instead of 235/55-18. Yes I know the speedometer difference after this.

Cheers,

Attachments

Reactions: VanCave

·
Registered
99 Posts
I told my wife the same thing, If Toyota ever releases that I am trading in my 2015 ASAP. One question though, how do the rear doors open with though fender flares?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looking at building an adventure SUV'an and looking at picking up a Sienna and raising it. Nice looking rig and not overly complicated modifications. By my math you got about 2.5" of added ground clearance. What did the custom springs set you back? Do you have any issues with the tires you installed? I think they are 1" in diameter bigger. The front looks perfect, the rear a little tighter; do you know if you'd still be able to put on tire chains if needed? Also looks like you added some rock sliders on the sides. Appreciate any input. Cheers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I have those up sized tires since September of last year without issues. When you up size the tire you should also consider the spedo discrepancy(the vehicle is moving faster than the speed display). We don't use tire chains locally therefore I couldn't answer your question. I only experienced a slight rub at the inner wheel-well when backing out from driveway in the past. My solution to that was the additional H&R spacers 20mm up front and 30mm for the rear. I had tried 30mm up front before but it exaggerate the steering angle and the rub continued and because of that I backed off to the narrower 20mm size. The van looks a lot better with OEM wheels flush to the body.

Cheers,

Attachments

Reactions: km363km

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
WOW....big fan of your mod....keep tweaking it and make it perfect for others to take to the next level......

javvy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great stuff! Thanks for the additional notes and added info to make this work.

Just saw you have a RAV4. How does the Sienna now compare to it for clearance? I've got a Honda Element and if I had as much clearance as it I'd be content. Supposedly the Sienna has 6.7" and the Element has 6.9" but all measurements in ground clearance are not equal. Seems like with your added 2.5" clearance your Sienna should have more than the RAV. Unless of course you lifted the RAV too.

I'd love to know, if you are even kinder than you have already been, what your measurement from the ground to some place like between the front and rear door or wheel well are? I think with the larger tires everything looks so natural it is hard to tell the 2" have been added.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks nice, BUT I think that you will have premature wear and possible failure on the CVs and the hub bearings not only due to the lift but due to the spacers you added. Good luck with it and I hope that I am wrong as it is not a cheap repair on the AWD Sienna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you be kind enough to post the manufacturer & part numbers for the 2" lift custom coil-springs & JDM Toyota Premium Horns?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks great! My only comment is doesn't the running boards lower your clearance?

~Spritz
The running board does lower the clearance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interested to know the impact on your CVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has not failed yet!

Again this mod is at your own risk and not for everyone.

I would suggest you to use a floor jack to lift the front end of your van for 2 inches to see them yourself of how the left and right axles shafts sit. There is a jack point at the crossbeam under the engine. It sit more horizontal than you think.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great stuff! Thanks for the additional notes and added info to make this work.

Just saw you have a RAV4. How does the Sienna now compare to it for clearance? I've got a Honda Element and if I had as much clearance as it I'd be content. Supposedly the Sienna has 6.7" and the Element has 6.9" but all measurements in ground clearance are not equal. Seems like with your added 2.5" clearance your Sienna should have more than the RAV. Unless of course you lifted the RAV too.

I'd love to know, if you are even kinder than you have already been, what your measurement from the ground to some place like between the front and rear door or wheel well are? I think with the larger tires everything looks so natural it is hard to tell the 2" have been added.

The ground clearance is a little taller than the RAV4 if I do not have the running boards. I agreed the original specs for the Sienna have 6.7"~6.8" ground clearance when empty however when the van have passengers or any load the 6.7" clearance isn't there anymore, drop off close to the ground really fast.

RAV4 is good for me as-is, short wheelbase does offer great handling in winter. Interior car space is what it lack of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks nice, BUT I think that you will have premature wear and possible failure on the CVs and the hub bearings not only due to the lift but due to the spacers you added. Good luck with it and I hope that I am wrong as it is not a cheap repair on the AWD Sienna.
Thanks for your assumptions and I have stated many times this mod isn’t for everyone.

Do things at your own risk while I am enjoying my AWD Sienna in DEEP snow. I am mechanically inclined.

Does the same message apply to the bigger group here who slap the set of coilovers or lowering springs to lower their vans?? Oh! And some with 20” x 10” wheels. It is nice for the group who doesn’t need to deal with winters and snow. I am here to find my own solutions.

:)

Reactions: Hiace Envy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
235/60R18 shouldn't need spacers at all.
Same width just slighly taller than 55 series tires.
In theory is a imaginary situation. Then problems arise when you see how they put together in reality.

:p

·
Registered
222 Posts
You're awesome for answering all the questions! Of course you're just feeding the beast, so...

The clarification about the ground clearance sinking quick after fully loaded is appreciated. I'd thought about this in relation to your spring strength increase for carrying an additional load but not in respect to keeping the OEM empty ground clearance let alone the lift. Might be worth a trip to a truck scale and get the axle weight empty and then after loaded up for normal use to figure the spring rate increases. I've noted this in a number of other rig mods I've looked at in the past for full size vans. The good ones always seem to beef up the spring rate and the ones that breakdown after a decade are stock.

I guess it is pretty easy to check about the reality of the need wheel spacers; like you were saying for the jacking up the rig. Crank the wheel hard and see how much clearance is left in the wheel well. The bigger shoes are going to eat up 0.5" of that.

Someone did ask about the manufacturer of your springs? I assume when you say "custom" you went into a 4x4 or similar shop and ordered them to your spec? I was curious about the pricing for the lift mod? Wheel spacers look about $100 a pair but not sure about the springs?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts