Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.
I have a 2000 XLE that the trans O/D light OFF is not illuminating when I push the button. The trans shifts accordingly though, meaning I have a 4-speed all the time. I got the car back from my kid after letting her drive it for a couple years and had to replace the trans with a used one w/120k from a wreck, but it shifts great. We did replace the torque converter (correct one) and fluid (proper fluid). I can't find a ground strap that we missed or a fuse gone bad. Any suggestions on where to look next or help would be greatly appreciated! I'm a pretty good wrench and this has me stumped! I had to miss something somewhere. Probably something easy I forgot. Lol
Thanks folks!

· Registered
2001 Sienna LE, original owner
23 Posts
I’d replace the bulb to see if that’s it. There are videos on YouTube that show how to get to the dash bulbs. Not sure which bulb it is, though, but you could swap similarly sized ones to see if that fixes it.

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply so quickly! That's not a problem as I need to replace a burned bulb in the cluster anyway and will check that as well. Do you think that might have anything to do with it down-shifting to third properly?

· Registered
23 Posts
From your original post, I was under the impression the O/D light not illuminating was the only issue. If there are shifting problems you’ll probably need further assistance!

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just not down shifting to 3rd related to button/light as stated in original post. Lol.
Thanks!

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I figured out the problem. While my kids had my van for a (long) while, they installed HID headlamps. While it was nice being able to see better at night, I don't drive much after dark anymore. I noticed my clock and radio acting "wonky" sometimes as well. Then I remembered reading somewhere (maybe here) that installing HIDs on older cars with halogen headlights can cause problems, even with the relay/anti flicker harness installed. Fortunately, this was a 100% plug-n-play install, so I just uninstalled and returned to original the entire operation in about 25-30 minutes and viola, everything BACK TO ORIGINAL normal operation! Thank GOD nobody spliced anything!

Reactions: jlh1960

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why would the cause from hid headlights?
I don't know WHY it would cause this problem, but changing back to original halogen headlamps and removing the relay/anti-flicker as stated above seemed to solved the problem thus far. And of note, the car also had a "hyper-flash" on the left turn signal with lights "on" (both front and rear bulbs checked good, replaced and checked good again). After HID elimination, hyper-flash gone as well. I'm not an auto-electric guy but maybe too much current draw caused these problems.

· Registered
23 Posts
Just saw a Scotty Kilmer video where he says the cheaper LEDs don’t have an inline module or something (can’t remember the name of the part) that prevents the flickering and can cause other electrical problems.

· Registered
'00 Sienna XLE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I like some of his videos but some, not so much. Lol. If you put HID/LED headlamps in an older veh, apparently you can wreak some (unknown) havoc that you have to track down. It won't really hurt anything but it's a pain if you don't know where to look. I'm sooo much better at mechanical and stuff like vacuum diagnostics than electrical. I had a guy who used to work for me when I had my shop who would've had this figured out in probably 15-20 mins. I bet.

Reactions: jlh1960
1 - 10 of 10 Posts