Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

2001 Sienna AC Compressor?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Old Sienna 
#1 ·
Aloha~ all Ac working but noise from compressor when AC not engaged stops when engaged 160,000 miles any thoughts? thanks

#2 · (Edited)
can you describe the noise? or, post a recording with audio?

I also find those $5 mechanic's stethoscopes SUPER useful for isolating noises. In particular I've used them to identify wheel bearings and idler pulley bearings, they make a grinding noise when you use the stethoscope.
That said, I'm not sure a bearing would explain what you've got here.

odd that the noise goes away when it's engaged. I've never heard of this, but just thinking logically, what if the clutch is somehow scraping when the a/c is off and then when it locks up when you turn the a/c on, the noise would go away? (I'm just thinking through and making up a theory). Other than the clutch, I can't think of any other part that could STOP making noise when the a/c is engaged. wouldn't be bearings. wouldn't be the belt.

also just noticed your greeting, 'aloha.' would you happen to live on Oahu?
I'm here in Aiea :D with a yr 2000 toyota sienna xle, 121,000 on the odometer.

my own a/c has been behaving strangely, but it turns out I can replace pretty much the entire a/c system for $500 if I do the work myself. compressor, condenser, drier, relay, triswitch, and both hoses, and $100 for an evac/recharge. NOT doing the evaporators (there are two, front and rear), without definite cause those are just so much work to get to.

so rather than chasing waterfalls trying to diagnose it, I'm just replacing everything. a terrible habit (parts swapping) but i figure with everything being 20 years old and original, I'll come out ahead by just doing it all.
I did the same thing last year when I opted to just do all the cooling hoses and radiator, when one hose started leaking. I don't trust 20 yr old rubber haha.

#3 ·
can you describe the noise? or, post a recording with audio?

I also find those $5 mechanic's stethoscopes SUPER useful for isolating noises. In particular I've used them to identify wheel bearings and idler pulley bearings, they make a grinding noise when you use the stethoscope.
That said, I'm not sure a bearing would explain what you've got here.

odd that the noise goes away when it's engaged. I've never heard of this, but just thinking logically, what if the clutch is somehow scraping when the a/c is off and then when it locks up when you turn the a/c on, the noise would go away? (I'm just thinking through and making up a theory). Other than the clutch, I can't think of any other part that could STOP making noise when the a/c is engaged. wouldn't be bearings. wouldn't be the belt.

also just noticed your greeting, 'aloha.' would you happen to live on Oahu?
I'm here in Aiea :D with a yr 2000 toyota sienna xle, 121,000 on the odometer.

my own a/c has been behaving strangely, but it turns out I can replace pretty much the entire a/c system for $500 if I do the work myself. compressor, condenser, drier, relay, triswitch, and both hoses, and $100 for an evac/recharge. NOT doing the evaporators (there are two, front and rear), without definite cause those are just so much work to get to.

so rather than chasing waterfalls trying to diagnose it, I'm just replacing everything. a terrible habit (parts swapping) but i figure with everything being 20 years old and original, I'll come out ahead by just doing it all.
I did the same thing last year when I opted to just do all the cooling hoses and radiator, when one hose started leaking. I don't trust 20 yr old rubber haha.
Aloha we are on the Big Island I don’t think I would replace every thing! Could be the evaporator! The front one is easy to change or check for leaks. Now my ac is loosing charge after a month can’t find the source figuring it is in the rear evap or the lines under the van I bought a block off kit but way to hard to reach up and behind engine I will have to cut off line upfront under the vehicle then I can pull it up after unhooking it from the front evaporator block it off they say there’s plenty a seat to run up front and in the van apparently you don’t need a rear evaporator. Back to the noiseMore like a high-pitched sound I’ll have to get one of those stethoscopes! I do have a call into my friend Son n Law who has a machine shop in California about the noise I think I’m just rambling on brain doesn’t work as good as it used to I have replaced a lot of stuff on the car so could let you know stuff good luck with ac remember easy to check for leaks in Evaporator in front! Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.