Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

2001 Toyota sienna le

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  j.naylor8219 
#1 ·
I don't know why my van is jerking, hesitating and idles so rough..i replaced spark plugs
And I replaced all 6 coil paks. The check engine light is driving me nuts with the random misfire code.. I'm a girl, not a mechanic.. I noticed whatever the problem is gets worse if I turn the air conditioner on, and it's seems like it's screwing my tranny up.. Please for the love of everything good.. Help?!

#3 ·
I bought this van off a guy about 3 months ago, he said it just shakes a lil.. No big deal right, he said it was a brand new motor, new tires n such.
Anyway yes it's just the P0300 code.
But it's gotten worse, and when I try to accelerate going up a small hill, I have it almost floored and it barely goes, then after about 6 seconds it suddenly catches and it's good.. Oh and there's this crazy clacking sound when I take off, I smell gas too..
I don't want to junk it. I like the van.. I know it's gotta be something silly.

#5 ·
I would try cleaning the maf sensor for starters. Its free and not difficult.
But you have to get maf sensor cleaner from the auto parts store.
Use that and only that to clean it. If this sensor gets dirty enough or malfunctions
It will not run good. Probably won't throw a code either unless theres a problem with
The wiring.
The sensor is mounted on the air intake on the top. This is a 2009 in the picture.
It is that thing to the right of the yellow paint mark.
It has 2 little Phillips screws holding it in. There are two little filaments inside
That have to be clean. Just blast them good with that cleaner and reinstall .
Do not touch those filaments with anything either, they are very sensitive.

Attachments

#6 ·
Ok so I got a book on the van and my friend/auto parts manager, at auto zone said I should check the idle air control sensor maybe?
There's no black smoke or anything and I took that weird-looking sensor off of the air filter (the sensor looks like it's got a match head in it) and it looked black, anyway a week after I changed the spark plugs I pulled one out just to check and it was already black and kinda burnt looking.
So I replaced it.. But no change. Ugh.
Thank you for taking time out of your lives to respond.. You're awesome!!

#9 · (Edited)
Concur, if it was anything other than the p0300 it would be easier to nail down.
The p0300 points to a system wide problem that needs to be diagnosed.
Maybe you could get your friend at autozone to record some live engine data while driving
with the engine at operating temp. Of coarse anaylizing it is a whole new challange.
If it can be exported and posted here, there are people on this forum that could make cense
out of it. And even this data might not be enough. The scan tools the average Joe can buy at
the auto parts stores still dont hold a candle to what the dealer and the good repair shops have.

#10 ·
You guys are never going to believe this!!
I actually found and fixed the problem all by myself!
This lil u shaped small vacuum hose has a huge tear in it..
I replaced it.. And holy shit.. It's good again.. I'm so fricken happy..
And you guys are awesome!!!

Thank you for taking time from your lives to help me!! You Rock!!
Stay safe!!!

#12 ·
You guys are never going to believe this!! I actually found and fixed the problem all by myself! This lil u shaped small vacuum hose has a huge tear in it.. I replaced it.. And holy shit.. It's good again.. I'm so fricken happy.. And you guys are awesome!!! Thank you for taking time from your lives to help me!! You Rock!! Stay safe!!!
This thread really helped alot. Exact same problem. Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.