Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just curious,
How many members here with those years generation 2 with over 250k miles.
My 06 LE has 169k now
I'm a new owner of a 2006 sienna XLE fwd. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and it had 233,000 miles on it. I paid $2600 for it. I found it on facebook market place after looking for weeks and weeks. It was the newest year for the money I had to spend. The body is an 9 and the interior a 9. Mechanically its an 7 maybe. The previoos owner had it from 160000 to the 233000 mark. She never put the timing belt or anything on it . She didn't say she did anything to it but put on Pirelli tires 2 years ago , recent oil change, new duracell battery, brakes on the front using ceramic pads and fixed an issue with the gas cap leaking causing a code light to trip. I noticed the rear calipers and shoes are way overdue, seems to me she just did bare minimum. I personally steam cleaned the interior and washed down the leather seats. Carfax shows the first owners maintenance recod but it never showed the dealer replacing the timing belt, so, i wonder if it was. I assume it was because that owner had the dealer do some repairs and routine maintenance. The last owner had a small crash and she had the front bumper and headlight assembly, fog light replaced and it looks new. Just need the other dull headlight to shine up like it. The only things that didn't work right were both sliding doors. One opens ok manually but the other won't at all ( Unless you use a pencil eraser to push over a part inside the handle area). The motor and transmission are in good shape. I had a mechanic listen to it and he said it sounds healthy. He said the tranny fluid smelled almost burnt and to just drop the pan replace the filter and fluid only. He didn't want to do a flush because it may ruin it with ,that many miles. He quoted me $907 to do the belt kit job using oem dealer original parts ( not sure what he meant he was going to buy,really). I can do the job but decided not to because of lack of garage, winter, age and the need for more tools and knowledge. I will buy my own parts through e-bay or amazon and get an Aisen belt kit for $225 . I plan to have the Cam and Crank seals replaced to even if they are not leaking ,yet. So, I'm driving it low miles and really on edge about that. I'll have the money maybe by mid December to do the work. Still trying to find the right mechanic though. They want $85 an hour or $510 for 6 hours work. Yikes! Poor guys like me , retired and all have a hard time with that. But I knew initially the expense was there when I bought it. I really like this vehicle, Its nicer than anything I have ever had. There's hardly any rust anywhere. For Oakland county, Michigan that's unusual. This is an XLE with $4,995 worth of extras put on it new. It sold new for $35,995. Its silver. Heated seats and all. Even the tow package with 140 amp alt. It has the u-hall tow kit on it with full warranty for any owner. I wonder if she pulled something to heavy with it though? Any ways My adventure is just starting and according to Scotty Kilmer on you tube , 'Toyota is the best vehicle you can own.' Its all his fault if he's wrong- lol. I don't mind investing in this at all. I think its going to more expensive to own and repair than my old 2000 chevy cavalier. I only drive 6,000 miles a year. Maybe I'll drive more soon because I can Trust this one. Let the adventure begin! That's what gives me some peace of mind. Thanks everybody for all this Information on the site. It's good to see people doing what the bible said to do in here. Follow Jesus and obey Him for salvation by His grace. Bob R.

·
Registered
250 Posts
never showed the dealer replacing the timing belt, so, i wonder if it was.
I didn't know either so I removed a couple of the bolts on the plastic cover, pried it slightly open and peeked. Glade I did. Cracks.
The only time I'd question replacing transmission fluid completely is if the old oil is black. To late, damage is done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't know either so I removed a couple of the bolts on the plastic cover, pried it slightly open and peeked. Glade I did. Cracks.
The only time I'd question replacing transmission fluid completely is if the old oil is black. To late, damage is done.
Thanks for the info, I need all I can get. The transmission fluid is a good reddish color but there is a smell to it that's not right. Maybe its ok but I plan to replace it. I guess I should use only Toyota trans fluid since it will be mixing with the existing fluid left in the Torque Converter. But who knows if the fluid is the original or not? I thought about looking in the edge of the Timing cover but 2 mechanics said it won't do any good because you can't see the ribs or underside of it. They said It may look shiny on top even but tore up on the bottom. Plus I thought that casing wouldn't give any flex to pry it out a little after taking off a few bolts on top. I guess you did though so maybe I'll just try that. So , did you do your own work or have it done? What did it run and what parts did you use. Is it ok still after ,how many miles? Did you replace your Oil seals while in there. Anyway, thanks BR.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine's a 99. Think the tensioner mount is the only difference on your 06. Kit included timing belt, water pump, idle & tension pulleys, crank & cam seals, and valve cover gaskets (old ones leaked). No tensioner. I also replaced the drive belts, radi cap, plugs, antifreeze, 11 qts transmission fluid, thermostat and windshield. Did it myself. Only challenge was getting off a tight crank bolt. I'm embarrassed how little I spent, most will say I went to cheap, perhaps if the engine was interference I would have spent more, but everything seems fine at 6 months.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BobE
That is awesome.
I'm at 177k miles now , the van is running great!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
For the most part...no. Once in a while I get an occasional bump. I have been diligent with fluid drain and fills. Even changed the strainer (Filter) few thousand miles ago. Added a magnefine filter as well

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought my previous 2002 a few weeks after nine-one-one. On the wall of the dealer they had a newspaper clipping telling of a man whose Corolla went 800,000 miles with no engine work, but I assume the timing belt. What i wanted was his maintenance program, hahaha. My 2001 went 222,000 miles and I had to sell it because I moved to Mexico and when I got permanent residence could no longer have an imported car. Great car and I loved it. The best car I ever owned.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, transmission fluid exchange is almost never too late, mine had over 200k when I got it, first thing I did before driving it home about 60 miles was siphon out 4 quarts and replaced it, then when I got home I followed this example;
2009 Toyota Sienna Transmission Fluid Flush and Filter Change

Should be the same procedure for 04-06, though your return line may be located in a different place. If return line is unknown, disconnect easiest line to get to, run both sides into catch jug, turn the motor on and off for an instant, if it runs out flowing toward the transmission, continue, you found the right connection, continue; if not, it's the other line.

2010 Sienna with 212k miles.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts