Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks awesome nice job. Can't tell you how many times I smashed the bottom of my 1 gen Sienna off rocks looking for waves in Mex. About to buy a gen two. Prob too lazy to do anything like this although maybe the larger tires. Prob just keep smashing it off rocks. ( :

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Posting updates on the van for people with or considering the Journey Off Road Lift Kit for the 2nd Gen Toyota Sienna. I finally had a shop replace my front CV Axles. The van was starting to shake really bad at 40-50 mph. Before it would do it every now and then but it started doing it consistently.

So I had a shop replace the CVs. We used Aftermarket which I am now learning was a mistake. $800 later the shake was gone but a slightly new one at 10-15mph. Something I can live with.

800 miles into a road trip the van has started to get click while turning on the passenger side. Also on the passenger sign it feels like something is loose when going over bumps.

I am hoping that it's just a bad bushing or something of that nature. We have a little 300 miles to get home so hoping for the best and then will drop the van off at the mechanic to diagnose.

Moral of story. OEM CVs for the Journey Off Road Kit.

·
Registered
2004, Toyota Sienna XLE, AWD - w/journey lift installed 8/20
9 Posts
View attachment 47775

The following week after lifting the van we took it on a 1400 mile trip down to California to see my parents.

We opted to not replace the CV axles which is recommended since the van has a 150k on it. Before leaving on the trip the axles were leaking a bit in the front. So I was a little worried but after doing research I read that it would be ok to run it like this for a while. So that was the only thing in the back of my head maintenance wise on the trip and in my head knew I would be replacing them when I got back home.

Otherwise, the van drives great. New shocks front and back make a huge difference. The lift and clearance are amazing. I would definitely recommend it to people looking to buy a Sienna for camping, mountain biking, etc.

On our way home during the last couple hundred miles, I noticed a little wobble in the front end when accelerating uphill going 65-75mph. I am assuming it's the CV axles. It did it again when we were really close to home but at a slower speed and was much more violent. Like a real shake. I would have been stressed if I was not already aware of the CV axles. My plan is to call Journey on Monday and get a recommendation on CV axles for the van. Then call around and find a good mechanic to install them this week. From what I've gathered from other users this should solve the problem. It makes sense since the axles are so old and the angle has changed quiet a bit.
Question:
Hi-
We have a '04 XLE AWD w/Journeys Lift-installed 8/20
Would appreciate some input :0)
Which Shocks did you buy?
And really would appreciate a link to the front axles you purchased/installed.
(we are going round & round with the axle issue right now)
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice, looks great and must have been a fun project.
Did you keep tab of parts and costs, excluding your labor?
I haven't but it wouldn't be that hard to tally it all up. I paid $5900 for the van and I imagine I am pretty close to matching that with everything I've done to it.

Wheels, tires, lift, shocks, CV axles, timing belt, stereo, back up camera, hitch, lights, cargo box, floor, fridge, goal zero, misc hardware.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Question:
Hi-
We have a '04 XLE AWD w/Journeys Lift-installed 8/20
Would appreciate some input :0)
Which Shocks did you buy?
And really would appreciate a link to the front axles you purchased/installed.
(we are going round & round with the axle issue right now)
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Diggin that build! I recently discovered a torn CV boot on my lifted '04 AWD. Going with the NAPA CVs as they have that lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey @sanagustin, great build and nice YouTube walk-around too. I'm in the market for a sienna of this generation for a similar purpose.

Any updates on the CV axles? I'm curious how the Journeys Off Road 3.5" lift and the BFG KO2s affected handling and if you think it contributed to the shaking/CV issues you were having.

For context, I had a Tundra that I recently sold and I had underestimated how much the ride quality would be affected by putting larger tires (significantly heavier) and a 2.5" lift on the truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really like your build.
I have started mine for simple 2-4 day camping.

at Yellowstone
So I finally got my Journey Lift Kit installed. My buddy lent us his garage. It took a few hours over three days. We ran into a problem with the rear diff. The bushing was about to blow so we had to order the part which delayed us a day. The rear was definitely a pain to put in. We followed the directions but improvised on a few things. All in all, we replaced the front shocks and rear struts and added the lift kit.

View attachment 47766 View attachment 47767
Here is the blown bushing. Cost $36 on Amazon. My buddy had access to a shop to remove the old one and press in the new one. Here is a link to the bushing: Amazon.com: NISTO Arm Bushing Differential Mount Compatible With For 2003-2009 Toyota Sienna 4WD GSL25 MCL25: Automotive
View attachment 47768
To get the brackets in the rear to fit you had to grind off a little lip. See below. For the other side we just hammered it over because we didn't want to use the grinder near the gas tank.
View attachment 47769
The front went in very smoothly. We forgot to put in the camber bolts but I had them put them in with the alignment.
View attachment 47770 View attachment 47771
I had replaced my rear struts previous to the lift and they were not compatible with the provided spacer. I would call Journey ahead of time to confirm. Luckily I was able to find struts same day and we were good to go.
View attachment 47772 View attachment 47773 View attachment 47774
See next post for more info.
Hi,

I am planning to do the same thing. Can you tell me what shocks and struts did you use for the front and rear?

·
Registered
2009 (Gen 2) LE
1 Posts
800 miles into a road trip the van has started to get click while turning on the passenger side. Also on the passenger sign it feels like something is loose when going over bumps.
We had a similar clicking in our Gen2 Sienna and found that it was a worn bushing in the steering and just had the whole rack and pinion replaced. (Also, the VSC and trac control off light lit up on the dash.) Hoping to do something similar to yours on our van, for fly-fishing and camping trips, although mine is only FWD. We're in PDX too, I'll give you a honk if I see you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple friends helped me install a set of BF Goodrich KO2s size 245/65/17. No rubbing and added quite a bit of clearance. The tires are quiet and I love how it handles and rolls over rough terrain. I don't have a spare. Currently just carrying a small compressor, tire plugs, and AAA.
View attachment 46368 View attachment 46369 View attachment 46370 View attachment 46371
View attachment 46372
A couple friends helped me install a set of BF Goodrich KO2s size 245/65/17. No rubbing and added quite a bit of clearance. The tires are quiet and I love how it handles and rolls over rough terrain. I don't have a spare. Currently just carrying a small compressor, tire plugs, and AAA.
View attachment 46368 View attachment 46369 View attachment 46370 View attachment 46371
View attachment 46372
Did you have to lift the van to get these tires on? Thank You. David

21 - 34 of 34 Posts