Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Do you have 5mm between your current wheels and the suspension components to spare? These have a 30mm offset. OEM Sienna wheels have a 35mm offset.

I'm more surprised at the price, wheel age and condition. $495 for 15 year old wheels with dings and scratches? You should be able to buy a set of flawless Sienna replica or refurbished wheels for that.

I determined from one of your past posts that you have a 2018 Limited which would have come with 18 inch wheels. You might consider doing what a number of us have done, including fibber2 and me, and get a set of 17 inch wheels for winter use. There is a better selection of winter tires in 17 inch and they are less expensive. Another reason to downsize from 18" to 17" for Winter is the extra sidewall height that provides more cushioning for rough winter roads.

Here is a link to fibber2's painfully long but very helpful thread about it: https://www.siennachat.com/forum/40-general-discussion-gen-3/32425-building-my-winter-tire-package.html

Edit: Ouch! The price of the 17" Sienna replica wheels fibber2 bought has jumped from $125 to $195.50 per wheel but that still includes shipping.

The refurbished 17" Sienna wheels I bought from Wheels and Caps are up to $137.67 per wheel and that doesn't include shipping: https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-21148-aluminum-alloy-wheel-rim-17x7-69584.aspx

Winter may not be the best time to put together a Winter wheel/tire package. I did it in summer when prices were lower.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The face is 5mm closer to the inside of the vehicle, but the edge of the wheel is another 12.7 mm closer to the inside because the wheel is rubbing. So it would be almost 3/4" closer to the well.
I'm running et 35 with 18x8's and have rubbing, but that's probably because of my wide-ass 255/55r18 tires. But I also have 5mm spacers and a 1" lift.

I'm not sure which G35 rims you are talking about because the picture isn't loading, but most of them are pretty stylish. I'd use the those wider rims as your summer setup, and use the Sienna ones for the winter.

Sienna TRD 4x4

·
Registered
301 Posts
30 mm offset will actually move the wheel further away from the strut/suspension compared to 35 mm. (If I'm not mistaken)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do you have 5mm between your current wheels and the suspension components to spare? These have a 30mm offset. OEM Sienna wheels have a 35mm offset.

I'm more surprised at the price, wheel age and condition. $495 for 15 year old wheels with dings and scratches? You should be able to buy a set of flawless Sienna replica or refurbished wheels for that.

I determined from one of your past posts that you have a 2018 Limited which would have come with 18 inch wheels. You might consider doing what a number of us have done, including fibber2 and me, and get a set of 17 inch wheels for winter use. There is a better selection of winter tires in 17 inch and they are less expensive. Another reason to downsize from 18" to 17" for Winter is the extra sidewall height that provides more cushioning for rough winter roads.

Here is a link to fibber2's painfully long but very helpful thread about it: https://www.siennachat.com/forum/40-general-discussion-gen-3/32425-building-my-winter-tire-package.html

Edit: Ouch! The price of the 17" Sienna replica wheels fibber2 bought has jumped from $125 to $195.50 per wheel but that still includes shipping.

The refurbished 17" Sienna wheels I bought from Wheels and Caps are up to $137.67 per wheel and that doesn't include shipping: https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-21148-aluminum-alloy-wheel-rim-17x7-69584.aspx

Winter may not be the best time to put together a Winter wheel/tire package. I did it in summer when prices were lower.
SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION GUYS ! The only reason I am asking is because my brother have a set of 04 G35 Sedan 17 inch 5 Spoke Wheels free sitting at his house. Originally i thought my brother have the 6 Spokes but they are 5 spoke 17x7 with 45mm offset. I am hoping i can make use of it since I need a set of winter set up for Reno and Tahoe in CA. Here's what i find out, I am glad the G35 wheels are 17s which brings my cost down for some Bridgestone Blizzak which i found a set 235/60/17 for $175 on craigslist with less 500 miles ( still shows new marking ).. But before i go pick these up

Here's the part i am a little worry about. Factory Oem wheel on 3rd Gen Sienna runs on 35mm offset. 04 Sedan G35 17x7 runs at 45mm OFFSET which i am worry about clearance problem with suspension and 235/60/17 Blizzak. I am hoping someone on here runs on 45mm offset before with no issue since i prefer not adding spacers.. I added a photo of the set of g35 rims my brother just sent me. They look very good beside some curb rash which i dont mind. These will be my winter set up if it all works out

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION GUYS ! The only reason I am asking is because my brother have a set of 04 G35 Sedan 17 inch 5 Spoke Wheels free sitting at his house. Originally i thought my brother have the 6 Spokes but they are 5 spoke 17x7 with 45mm offset. I am hoping i can make use of it since I need a set of winter set up for Reno and Tahoe in CA. Here's what i find out, I am glad the G35 wheels are 17s which brings my cost down for some Bridgestone Blizzak which i found a set 235/60/17 for $175 on craigslist with less 500 miles ( still shows new marking ).. But before i go pick these up

Here's the part i am a little worry about. Factory Oem wheel on 3rd Gen Sienna runs on 35mm offset. 04 Sedan G35 17x7 runs at 45mm OFFSET which i am worry about clearance problem with suspension and 235/60/17 Blizzak. I am hoping someone on here runs on 45mm offset before with no issue since i prefer not adding spacers.. I added a photo of the set of g35 rims my brother just sent me. They look very good beside some curb rash which i dont mind. These will be my winter set up if it all works out

The Good:
Bolt Pattern matches up.
Free.99!

The Bad:
10MM closer to the suspension.
The tires you had in mind might be an up size from OE spec. which will be even closer to the suspension.
Center Hubs are a different size.
Tire rub like no other.
Possible wobble.
HEAVY.

The Fix:
20MM Spacer in the rear. This will push the wheels away from the suspension towards the wheel arch which give more room for tire travel.
10MM Spacer in the front. " "
Extended studs for safety
Hub Centric rings to match Toyota hub.

Should you do it? .. I did it before and the reward was not worth the effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just try to find 2008 and up highlander 17 inch wheels, 1/2 inch wider I think, but same lug pattern, same center bore size, same offset, no need for hubcentric rings. You might be going 1/4 inch closer to the strut but it's worth trying than wheels from other makes (nissan,honda,etc.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just try to find 2008 and up highlander 17 inch wheels, 1/2 inch wider I think, but same lug pattern, same center bore size, same offset, no need for hubcentric rings. You might be going 1/4 inch closer to the strut but it's worth trying than wheels from other makes (nissan,honda,etc.)
You guys know the center bore size on both ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys know the center bore size on both ?
Are you asking about the sienna and highlander or still talking about other makes? Toyotas/lexuses with 5 x 114.3 lug pattern have 60.1 mm center bore size.
Sorry, i was just trying to get an understanding the difference between the g35 wheels. I found out that g35 runs on 66.1 CB versus Sienna runs on 60.1 which takes hubcentric rings to correct. I see why its not worth all the hassle now since I have to worry about the extra offset plus center bore differences.

You guys recommended Highlander but i search CL and its hard to get my hand on a set for decent price. Any other toyota or make from other that will work perfect with sienna ? If i spend more than $500 on wheels alone, i mind as well make my oem set now my winter tires and get a set of aftermarket that would look clean on my van for my daily use. BUT not trying to spend a lot of $ just for winter set up just for the snow. 17s are perfect where tires are cheaper

·
Registered
68 Posts
Besides Craigslist, you can also check out Facebook marketplace, Offerup, SiannaChat Trading Post (LOL obviously), and other Toyota forums' buy/sell/trade section. I did the similar route when looking for 1 factory wheel as full size spare on my AWD that doesn't come with a spare.

Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
OK, my brain wasn't working quite right when I was backwards on offset in my earlier post but I think it is now regarding whether or not 6.5 inch wide RAV4 steel wheels are wide enough for 235/60-17 tires. Here is a table that shows a maximum recommended tire width for 6.5 inch wide rims as being only 215 mm: https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

Of course, it can be done if a tire shop is willing to do it.

Edit: According to Wheelsandcaps.com , 2007-2012 RAV4 steel wheels are 16x6.5 inches. They show that it's the 2013-up RAV4 wheels that are 17x6.5 inches.

The person in the thread Rhys pointed to must have used 2013-up RAV4 steel wheels since he said they were 17" RAV4 wheels.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
The 5 spoke silver steel wheels are 17 inch, they are from 2006-2012 RAV4. Geezer is right, they are only 6.5 inch wide. 16 inch steel wheels from RAV4 of the same year range are black usually fitted with hub caps.
I understand now after looking at some of the old RAV4 sales brochures at http://www.auto-brochures.com/toyota.html

A problem with using 6.5 rims with 235 section tires is that there will be less pressure on outside portions of the tire treads ... the outside portions of the treads could even be lifted slightly from the force of the tire beads being pulled inward by the narrower wheels. I learned about this the hard (i.e. expensive) way 25 years ago when doing a "plus zero" setup with 225/60-15 tires on 6.5 inch wide wheels on a 90 Lexus LS400 that came with 205/65-15 tires. I've never worn out a set of tires so quickly - I think they were worn out by 7,000 miles but that was during my younger maniac driving days.

Maybe 6.5 inch wheels would work better with Winter tires on the Sienna due to narrower tread width, e.g. the tread width of the Blizzak WS80 tires I have on my Sienna for Winter are about one inch less than my summer tires.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry, i was just trying to get an understanding the difference between the g35 wheels. I found out that g35 runs on 66.1 CB versus Sienna runs on 60.1 which takes hubcentric rings to correct. I see why its not worth all the hassle now since I have to worry about the extra offset plus center bore differences.

You guys recommended Highlander but i search CL and its hard to get my hand on a set for decent price. Any other toyota or make from other that will work perfect with sienna ? If i spend more than $500 on wheels alone, i mind as well make my oem set now my winter tires and get a set of aftermarket that would look clean on my van for my daily use. BUT not trying to spend a lot of $ just for winter set up just for the snow. 17s are perfect where tires are cheaper
You can also search Lexus for wheels. I got a Lexus RX 17" wheel for $15.00 on craigslist.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts