Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend replaced the steering rack and the intermediate u-joint shaft on my 2004 sienna. Now the controls on the steering wheel i.e. to the radio, horn, and cruise control
don't work. Plus there is a light for the airbag on in the dash. Also intermittently the skid control icon with a beeping alarm comes on and and the brakes are automatically applied. This usually happens around 28 miles an hour. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Yes! there is a wiring harness that was apparently disconnected during this repair that has either not been reconnected or has been damaged. There is more than one, and it sounds like only those that go thru the 'clockspring' (horn/radio/cruise and your airbag) are impacted. The other carries the lights/wipers/ignition, and that is apparently still working? That accounts for all of the controls issues.

As for the stability/skid control, any time major steering system components are messed with, you must go thru the zero point calibration procedure. This is used by the system to check the relationship between intended steering angle and actual travel of the vehicle. If it is off, the computer thinks the van is in a skid, or plowing wide or excessively rotating on a turn (understeer/oversteer) and trying to correct for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for responding. We are going to look at that wiring real closely and see what we can find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem now. None of the controls ( volume up down , mode ) , horn , including the cruise control arm works. Also air back light is on now. We have change the rack and pinion and did not touch any cable. This happened after the changing the rack and pinion. Any advice please ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes! there is a wiring harness that was apparently disconnected during this repair that has either not been reconnected or has been damaged. There is more than one, and it sounds like only those that go thru the 'clockspring' (horn/radio/cruise and your airbag) are impacted. The other carries the lights/wipers/ignition, and that is apparently still working? That accounts for all of the controls issues.

As for the stability/skid control, any time major steering system components are messed with, you must go thru the zero point calibration procedure. This is used by the system to check the relationship between intended steering angle and actual travel of the vehicle. If it is off, the computer thinks the van is in a skid, or plowing wide or excessively rotating on a turn (understeer/oversteer) and trying to correct for it.

Are you sure about the wiring ? I friend of mine said he did not touch any wiring while changing the rack and pinion , please advice. 2004 Sienna LE
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Thanks to the hurricane, I only have limited access to info right now. Two of you with the same issue? Hmmmmm. Yes, there is extensive wiring under the column covers above the joint for the intermediate shaft. But if you weren't working up that high, there must be something else happening. All the things you report not working have the "clock spring" in common. Wonder if this can be damaged just by putting pressure on the shaft during rack changes. I'll have to look at the drawings.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
OK, think I got it. According to one independent source, the 'spiral cable sub-assembly' (I know it as a 'clock spring') is a flexible wiring harness that allows the steering wheel to turn up to a maximum of 5 rotations (2.5 left, 2.5 right) without damaging the wires that go to the air bag, horn, cruise and radio controls. Apparently most steering racks allow for 4.0 to 4.5 rotations lock to lock, so if properly 'centered', the entire motion of the front wheels should be within the limits of the allowable rotations of the steering wheel. If the spiral cable is not centered when the steering shaft is realigned with the steering rack, with the wheels pointed straight ahead, you won't be able to turn the wheel the correct number of revolutions. If everything is not properly centered first, the first time you rotate the wheels you will shear the wiring bundle.

You now need to pull the steering wheel and replace the cable assembly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, think I got it. According to one independent source, the 'spiral cable sub-assembly' (I know it as a 'clock spring') is a flexible wiring harness that allows the steering wheel to turn up to a maximum of 5 rotations (2.5 left, 2.5 right) without damaging the wires that go to the air bag, horn, cruise and radio controls. Apparently most steering racks allow for 4.0 to 4.5 rotations lock to lock, so if properly 'centered', the entire motion of the front wheels should be within the limits of the allowable rotations of the steering wheel. If the spiral cable is not centered when the steering shaft is realigned with the steering rack, with the wheels pointed straight ahead, you won't be able to turn the wheel the correct number of revolutions. If everything is not properly centered first, the first time you rotate the wheels you will shear the wiring bundle.

You now need to pull the steering wheel and replace the cable assembly.

Is there a specific name for those cables ?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Yes, it's called the spiral cable subassembly. See the diagram. I have no access to a dealer site tonight, but figure on $50 or so? Or, try taking it apart and see if you can repair it.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Back on line, and I can now understand your confusion. The dealer diagrams and parts listing are sadly lacking on this item.

I THINK....... it is Toyota part number 84306-06030, and it rings in at an astounding $250. You'd be wise to visit your dealership with your VIN to be sure you get the right one.

Or, consider disassembling it first and see if it is repairable. If the wires simply separated from the connector, you might be able to save it.

Let us know what you find. A hard lesson for anyone doing a rack or steering intermediate shaft replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any luck with this, anybody? I got the same issue, after replacing intermediate shaft and rack-and-pinion. My horn, airbag, wheel radio controls are gone. I am afraid my mechanic just broke or disconnected the spiral cable by rotating the wheel when it was not connected to the rack. The price looks scary, I hope it's just connectors got separated.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
I'm always a bit disappointed in people who ask a question but then never come back here to report their findings. I'm pretty sure I have correctly identified the problem, but it would be nice to get confirmation and their experience with the repair. And hey, maybe saying thanks wouldn't be a bad thing either. But I digress......

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm always a bit disappointed in people who ask a question but then never come back here to report their findings. I'm pretty sure I have correctly identified the problem, but it would be nice to get confirmation and their experience with the repair. And hey, maybe saying thanks wouldn't be a bad thing either. But I digress......
I agreed, most folks only got panic when there is problem and ask about solution right away without even search or followup on what happened next.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks, just removed steering wheel and "clockspring" and checked with meter and its bad and Luck would have it Toyota of Southern Maryland have them in stock.
fibber2 you are the man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, just removed steering wheel and "clockspring" and checked with meter and its bad and Luck would have it Toyota of Southern Maryland have them in stock.
fibber2 you are the man.
Could you let us know if you are going to have to do airbag light reset/re-calibrations etc?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
See, now this is good feedback! Thanks bugman.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, now that I got if fixed here is my story. My mechanic did break the spring cable so I had to order another one (he paid for it, of course). I found one (84306-06030) on a scrap yard in California for $125, still better than a new one for $200. BTW I was shocked by the way it looked, my car is 2005 (Ontario) and my cable assembly looked like new. The one from California looked like if it was baked in hell and it can’t be older than 2004.

Anyway, we replaced it as per the textbook (~45 minutes), everything worked fine and the airbag light went off by itself, no reset was necessary. The only thing to mention was that the cable assembly turned out to be attached to a sensor ring (vehicle stability control thing as far as I understand) and it took some effort to disconnect them and connect the sensor to the new spring cable. The sensor ring is $300 and looks fragile so be careful.

Later I disassembled the broken spring cable and realized that there was no way to fix it myself as I initially thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys. I’m having the same problem after replacing the steering rack on my 07. The airbag light is on and none of the controls or horn worked. After reading this thread, I ordered a new clock spring off eBay (not oem) and installed today. I feel like I installed everything correctly but after finishing, only the horn works now. Airbag light and radio controls still do not function. I tried not to turn the clock or handle too roughly but are these things that sensitive? Any ideas of what could be wrong?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts