Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drivers seat only moves on the right side track. When I took the seat off its mounting bolts oh, I could see someone else had already taken the seat off, what are the tabs on the wiring harnesses was broken.
According to the video I saw on YouTube an entirely new worm gear has to be replaced which is difficult, so I suggest replacing the entire seat.

Isn't there any way to advance the screw, I don't know for sure if the teeth in the worm gear are broken.
I do know that when I turn the side of the worm gear with a square bit it spins freely.
I would greatly appreciate any input or leads on seats if it comes to that. I live in Tucson Arizona

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After more research I have found that it is definitely the worm gear in the power seat track, now I just like to know how to get at that worm gear oh, I have found the replacement

·
Registered
598 Posts
No guidance from me, Carl. And the factory service manual doesn't address replacing individual parts of the seat sliding assembly that I can see, just the slide motor:

Good luck! Be sure to take pictures and post them here in case someone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the process of having taken the plastic gear that was gouged out in the shape of the worm gear in one part of the plastic gear, so I used some JB Weld epoxy, some of the strongest I could find, and I tried to epoxy it back together and then put epoxy on the plastic gear where the teeth were worn away, and then using a hacksaw blade to carve away the valley of the tooth marks and see if that works. Using the worm gear as a guide as that's where the teeth will fall.
Otherwise I think more promising is to find the 3D file of the plastic gear and have a local 3D printer print it up.
Unfortunately the old gear is plastered around a disc at the end of the threaded Rod that moves the seat, so after having it printed out I'd have to cut it in half and epoxy it back together but I think the strong J-B Weld would be up to the task.

Anyone know where I could find a 3D file of this gear?

Be interesting to have a two piece Metal Gear, and have the two sides snug together with Barrel Lugz

·
Registered
598 Posts
No disrespect, Carl, but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just grab a seat base from a scrapyard? You could simply transfer your upholstery to the new one. Yours is the first failure I've seen on this forum so it's likely that a scrapyard part would be perfectly serviceable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you do a lot of seat adjustments such as for 2 drivers I don't think the JB will hold up to the loads or maintain bond to the nylon. Don't have an address but there was an outfit that made a replacement shaft and nut kit for these seats. Maybe $100 a kit. Do a web search. Both sides have to be replaced as they use a different pitch screw shaft and nut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts