Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I hope you'll forgive me if this has been covered before. I searched but I didn't find all of what I was hoping to. My 05 Sienna of which I am the new owner of is currently giving the P0012 A Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1 code. Prior to this it was giving the P0022 code which is the same as above only Bank 2. I pulled both OCVs and tested. Resistance was about 7.8 ohms for both. I connected the pins of both to battery voltage and verified that both spools actuated properly. Both appeared relatively clean. I tested the voltage at each lock on connector to the OCVs with the ignition switch ON and saw about 1VDC at each. I pulled the PCV and cleaned thoroughly as it was gummed up and not moving freely. I reinstalled everything and now instead of the P0022 I'm receiving the P0012. I have been scouring the internet trying to find diagrams and information for the VVT system for this particular model and I haven't found much. My next thought was to pull the OCV filter screens and inspect/clean. I'm not sure where they are located. Can anyone tell me where they are on this engine and/or any helpful hints on accessing? I just recently purchased this Sienna and have no records on previous if any maintenance. I suspect regular oil changes were neglected due to buildup just inside the oil filler cap. The oil on the dipstick looks pretty clean but I don't know how long it's been in the crankcase nor whether it's even the recommended type for this vehicle. I put 5 ounces of Seafoam in with the oil yesterday and have been driving. I plan on changing the oil and filter this weekend. Is there anything else I should be checking to try to resolve these codes? Overall the engine seems to be running fine. It sounds good, no knocking or pinging. The engine only has about 116K. I'm not certain at what RPM it should idle at when warm. The guy I bought this from said he felt like it idled low. Usually I see the warm idle RPM at the 700-900 range. Anyway anything that anyone can offer to help me understand this timing system and resolve this issue is much appreciated.

·
Registered
753 Posts
2A4DFF4A-E59C-45C1-9F45-785CB0F8E47C.jpeg
67653A05-00E4-4873-8BF4-EF78812A9862.jpeg
111F9B56-C4DC-4E0B-B0F6-2856ABB3DEC9.jpeg
DD9AC20F-BF22-4B37-A77B-857C5927BB4D.jpeg

First pic shows general area to look , facing the vehicle the valves and screens will be on the upper right side.
Second pic shows firewall (rear) the ocv valve , very shiny and behind and below obscured by the connector will be the ONLY 14mm bolt in that area. This is where the filter screen is located. Place some rags below to catch oil that will flow out. The smaller end of the sreen will be accessible and you can remove with a needle nose plyer. The bolt , maybe half in in length will have a crush washer . Third pic shows filter screens and last pic shows general area of the "front " valve. Below that will be the other 14mm bolt ( oil bung? ) behind which is the other filter screen. The securing tab for the connector will most likely break. I use a dab of gasket silicone to keep it in place after reinstallation of the ocv valves. Kindly report back with your progress, welcome to the forum , good luck!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hi , they should be there , refresh your page
The 14 mm bung must be removed to access those screens. My 06 Sienna has 178k mile and it is the first time pulling these out for replacement. They were'nt that dirty as I change my oil on schedule.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The front screen is easy to get at . For the rear one you have to work your socket extension through a few hoses to get at the 14mm bung.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front screen is easy to get at . For the rear one you have to work your socket extension through a few hoses to get at the 14mm bung.
Awesome! Thank you for that. I'm gonna get into it this weekend and post back any findings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you able to work on the ocv screens?
No. Unfortunately the weather has been horrible here. I'm hoping to make some headway this weekend. The CEL dropped out so I'm thinking the Seafoam in the oil might have cleared some gunk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plugged in my code reader and I had no pending codes so I cleared the history. I think Seafoam in the oil did the trick which I ran for about 100 miles. I changed the oil and filter using Mobile 1 full synthetic & OEM Toyota filter. The Sienna is at 117K miles and I have no clue what if any maintenance was done on this thing, I'm leaning toward little or none so my plan is when the weather is a bit more agreeable to get into the timing belt and water pump and replace if they appear original. At that time I will replace the OCV filter screens also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts