Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Sienna, 218k miles......no crank today. In more than 6 years of ownership it has never done this before.....battery is good, checked with a load tester and I do not think starter is bad because when I turn to the start position the headlights do not dim, so I think that means no voltage is going to the starter.

Have not pulled ST relay under hood yet, not sure how to bench test it. I did read on another forum that behind or around the ECM, behind the glovebox, there is a relay or fuse, and was the cause of their problem. Any suggestions on where to start?
Thank you,
Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue, so first pulled all the fuse underneath and below the steering to check if anything was blown. As Paul said, i hit the starter with a breaker bar and then started! Ta-da! It cranked! Then replaced the starter, a 40min DIY to fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,634 Posts
I had an occasional reluctant starter on a V8 in my younger days. A 3 ft long broom handle to reach it from above and a hammer did wonders for keeping it in check until I could afford to replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I did try tapping it with a long bar, but starter still did nothing. I also checked fuses and relays.
Because the headlights did not dim when I tried to crank it, I strongly suspected voltage not getting to the starter.
So I pulled the air filter box so I could check the voltage at the solenoid and discovered the small wire had pulled out of it's socket because the retaining clip was broken......pushed it back in and wire tied it and started cranking as soon as I turned the key.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just one tid bit FYI here. If you find it fails again and the wire is still plugged in; the starter solenoid could be defective. This has happened twice on my 2006. Also check for the signs of coolant leaking , you know dried dirty water look etc. if so you might have a cracked water outlet pipe (plastic pipe) . This will leak onto the starter solenoid and cause it to fail.

Thanks for the replies! I did try tapping it with a long bar, but starter still did nothing. I also checked fuses and relays.
Because the headlights did not dim when I tried to crank it, I strongly suspected voltage not getting to the starter.
So I pulled the air filter box so I could check the voltage at the solenoid and discovered the small wire had pulled out of it's socket because the retaining clip was broken......pushed it back in and wire tied it and started cranking as soon as I turned the key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts