Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators please move if not in the right section.

My van was rear ended and now is sitting in the driveway. Was hit probably at around 30+ mph by a car and the entire rear is punched in. Thank God my wife and kid are ok. The bulk of the damage is towards the driver rear end, where the rear wheel well is pushed into the left rear tire. I am hoping the other car's insurance will repair it. The van has around 140K miles. Both the rear sliding doors are a little pushed out from the rear with the left stuck and not opening. The right rear door does open. Van can be moved front but will not go back.
My question is if they are going to total it, how much must my compensation be? I am seeing a wide range of between $4k to $6.5 in KBB. Any advice is appreciated from people with knowledge of this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear of your ordeal. I had a similar accident with my 2004 LE. Got T-Boned in an intersection by someone who made a turn in front of me without yielding.

Took about 1 month of back and forth arguing. Their insurance company sent out an adjuster to inspect the vehicle and had all sorts of BS deductions about it's condition ending in a low ball offer. One bit of leverage you have is if they are providing you a rental vehicle at their expense, it is in their interest to resolve the negotiation quickly. Run a KBB on it's value, but also look at listings for local dealers with competing vehicles. Since the dealers tend to charge top $, you can claim that you will have to buy one of those vehicles, and that should be the replacement value.

Best of luck,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Moderators please move if not in the right section.

My van was rear ended and now is sitting in the driveway. Was hit probably at around 30+ mph by a car and the entire rear is punched in. Thank God my wife and kid are ok. The bulk of the damage is towards the driver rear end, where the rear wheel well is pushed into the left rear tire. I am hoping the other car's insurance will repair it. The van has around 140K miles. Both the rear sliding doors are a little pushed out from the rear with the left stuck and not opening. The right rear door does open. Van can be moved front but will not go back.
My question is if they are going to total it, how much must my compensation be? I am seeing a wide range of between $4k to $6.5 in KBB. Any advice is appreciated from people with knowledge of this.
From your description, your car is ABSOLUTELY totaled. Most insurers have the cutoff somewhere between 60-80% of value gets totaled. Even if you didn't have the structural damage to the chassis (based on doors being pushed out), you would be looking at something like $5k just for the mechanicals (rear end, fuel tank, etc.) and probably another $3-5k for body work and then maybe $2k for paint. And THEN you have the structural issues.

As for value they pay out, assuming it's a reputable company, they will probably use NADA (which is usually less than KBB). Based on what I see and a couple guesses, I would guess $5k-6k. If you've had something major done recently (within 6 months) like repainting the body or replacing the transmission, you can usually get them to foot the bill for that too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts