Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I work with a local mechanic with my Sienna, apparently tranny broke...
  • Engine works
  • If I shift to R, whines, and does not move
  • If I shift to D, D4,D3 etc, whines, and does not move
  • Engine and VSC light comes on, and the BT scanner says P500 Vehicle speed sensor, (I can reset it, but it comes back as soon as I out it back to D/R etc)

I have it towed to my mechanic...

What do my friends here say ? What can be the issue ?

If its a Tranny problem...
What should I do ? Fix ? or who is gonna trade in ...

• The auto sliding doors have broken, and it works only in manual mode (not an issue with me)
  • Van has some dings.....
  • Paint scratched and not really properly fixed (my job, I am too busy with my day job)

I really wanted to run this one beyond 200K... wifey is going nuts... (she has her own great working car, I drive this one)

Please let me know friends... I hope to hear from my mechanic in a day or two...

G

·
Registered
281 Posts
hi

I work with a local mechanic with my Sienna, apparently tranny broke...
  • Engine works
  • If I shift to R, whines, and does not move
  • If I shift to D, D4,D3 etc, whines, and does not move
  • Engine and VSC light comes on, and the BT scanner says P500 Vehicle speed sensor, (I can reset it, but it comes back as soon as I out it back to D/R etc)

I have it towed to my mechanic...

What do my friends here say ? What can be the issue ?

If its a Tranny problem...
What should I do ? Fix ? or who is gonna trade in ...

• The auto sliding doors have broken, and it works only in manual mode (not an issue with me)
  • Van has some dings.....
  • Paint scratched and not really properly fixed (my job, I am too busy with my day job)

I really wanted to run this one beyond 200K... wifey is going nuts... (she has her own great working car, I drive this one)

Please let me know friends... I hope to hear from my mechanic in a day or two...

G
I would assume it's repairable but may set you back a couple grand. At 185K miles, it's still in it's mid-life stage, and, given that it's an AWD Limited, it's probably worth fixing. Most likely, it will end up being something like a solenoid or a torque converter and your van will be back on the road for far less than a new (2021 Sienna Limited AWD is about $50k) van would cost. Even if you were to look for something new-to-you, 10 year-old Sienna, you're looking at probably $12k. If it were me, I'd fix it. But then, I like my van and I'm cheap!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently its not the transmission, just the driver side axle... !!!
Not sure how much it costs and if it was a regular problem on this model/year

Reactions: BillG

·
Registered
281 Posts
Apparently its not the transmission, just the driver side axle... !!!
Not sure how much it costs and if it was a regular problem on this model/year
Driver's side is cheaper than the passenger side, but it will still likely be a couple hundred bucks. Glad to hear it wasn't the transmission!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts