Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

2006 - Battery Dies With Front Doors Open in 20 Minutes

21162 Views 37 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Gearman
First, greetings to all former SiennaClub.org'ers. Was really saddened to see it gone. I logged in and felt guilty for having become more of a lurker/consumer recently. Always felt like you guys were the same as that cell phone commercial---wherever I went I knew SiennaClub.org was behind me! I'll have to go back to everyone I've been telling about the old site and share this one with them.

Now, my problem: I recall seeing this on the old site mentioned. Ever since new you couldn't run the stereo for even 10 mins without killing the battery. Now, even 15 mins with just the front doors open and it's dead (you can't shut the lights in the door off---they don't run through the master lights switch). More than once I've sat in a gas station logging my mileage after a fillup with the headlights on (key in ignition) after getting sidetracked and not firing up the engine, and then I'm walking around with a sad look carrying my jumper cables. (Last time was 2 weeks ago in the middle of France, after I filled 'er up at ~$6.50/gal....... And get this, got a jump from a [color=blue[b][/b]]Frenchman[/color] in a bright red Chevy Avalanche!!!).

Anyone have any recommendations? We'll be putting the Sienna on a boat headed back to the States in June and I probably ought to put a new battery in it even though it just hit 3 yrs. The positive terminal is constantly corroding, no matter what I do. Should I try to fit a larger battery in there? Anyone have any experience with a larger battery? Larger alternator will do me no good when shutdown.

Appreciate any help, and, as always, thanks for having my back!

Coop
See less See more
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Thanks for that reminder "PriorityStart"! Trying to re-remember that brought be looking for the old siennaclub site which eventually led me here.

FYI, after a little search, this place http://www.batterymart.com/ has the "standard" PriorityStart for $67.95. Hope that helps someone.
How about keeping one of these in the back...?
Black & Decker VEC010BD Start It 300 Amp Jump Starter,

Has a 12 volt cig type outlet so you can even recharge your dead cell phone to call AAA if the car batt still won't start your van ::)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000E1HAIK/sr=8-1/qid=1240923762/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&qid=1240923762&sr=8-1
See less See more
Steve V said:
I'm thinking about buying led lamps from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Does anyone have any experience with this seller?

Discussion on this topic is ongoing in here:

Interior and exterior LED lights
Depending on where you live, temperature has a lot to do with battery life. Here in Florida, I am lucky to get three years out of a battery.... So If I were you I would get the battery and charging system checked. Most parts stores will do this for free and then if it is determined to be a bad battery, have it replaced with a good quality brand like those mentioned earlier in this thread. I always use some baking soda and water mixed in a paste to clean the terminals of any corosion.
I quoteth myselfeth.
This link is a good read if you want to maximize your battery's life...
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/asp/ccr/ccr20030801bc.asp

CincyBob said:
Almost all batteries say maintenance free but I like to top mine off with distilled water at least once a year...

"If the battery water level is allowed to get too low, the heat generated within the battery will destroy the battery cells".

This is an excerpt from:
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/asp/ccr/ccr20030801bc.asp

Batteries do not need as much water as a petunia, but they need some.
I've had the same problem with my 2006 LE. I took it to the dealer just before warranty, but because the battery checked out fine, they said they couldn't replace it. (BTW, I've had to jump the car 6-7 times in the last 6-7 months, always because a door was open for 20 minutes or because I was listening to the radio when parked).

I called Toyota, USA and they said they would pay for the replacement (as you can imagine, I was VERY pleased). The rep suggested that the dealer gets full cost of the battery back for the first 24 months, and months 25-26 they only get partial $ to replace under warranty. Hmmmmm......

Thanks for the posts above. When I mentioned that I'd seen others on-line with similar problems the service advisor said: "Yep, there is a lot of bad info on-line." Had I been more amicable, I might have reminded him there's a lot of good info, too, and given him this site to help his professional development.
See less See more
Back to the original issue "2006- Battery Dies With Front Doors Open in 20 Minutes", I have the same issue on my 06 XLE Limited and it is not the battery. The problem occurs when a door is left open too long, 10-15 minutes can be too long depending on what all lights are on. When you turn the engine off the Sienna is programmed to not turn off all lights until 30 seconds after all doors are closed. If the doors never close the lights will remain on, this condition is worse if the headlights are on and in my case this will happen in the daytime if I pull into the garage (the auto light will turn on before I shut the van off). Currently the only way I know how to remedy this is to make sure the interior lights switch (off-door-on) is turned to the off position and I make sure the to manually turn off the headlights off or at least toggle them from off back to auto. This is obviously easy to forget and a pain to do each time, especially for a van that has auto everything. I would like to know if there is a way to change the program so that at least the headlights go off regardless of the doors are open?
See less See more
From what I know the sienna needs to see door closer for the time factor to begin. Mine is set for 30 secs.

Why would you have a door opened more than 20+ mins?
robo5 said:
Don't you have kids? ;) ;D

(ie: **I** wouldn't, but my kids are the ones who don't quite get the slider all the way engaged, or just walk away from the car because they're too busy doing something else... They're kids.)
stinger7189 said:
Back to the original issue "2006- Battery Dies With Front Doors Open in 20 Minutes", I have the same issue on my 06 XLE Limited and it is not the battery. The problem occurs when a door is left open too long, 10-15 minutes can be too long depending on what all lights are on. When you turn the engine off the Sienna is programmed to not turn off all lights until 30 seconds after all doors are closed. If the doors never close the lights will remain on, this condition is worse if the headlights are on and in my case this will happen in the daytime if I pull into the garage (the auto light will turn on before I shut the van off). Currently the only way I know how to remedy this is to make sure the interior lights switch (off-door-on) is turned to the off position and I make sure the to manually turn off the headlights off or at least toggle them from off back to auto. This is obviously easy to forget and a pain to do each time, especially for a van that has auto everything. I would like to know if there is a way to change the program so that at least the headlights go off regardless of the doors are open?
I believe you can go the the stealership and they will charge your $50ish to change the programming so that the headlights will turn off as soon as the drivers door? is opened (not sure if it is any door or only drivers door). I believe that this is in your owners manual that came with the van. I refuse to do it, I think it should be a courtesy from the dealership or at least something that the owner could do for themselves (a la my previous van - a montana. You had to mess with some fuses but could change how and when the doors would autolock) Anyway, my van is an '04 so I can't say for sure that it is available on an '06. I too leave all the rear lights in the off position I can't keep up with the children and which lights they have turned off and and on ( this to me should also be timed out... no matter what.)

cheers,

shineysideup
See less See more
am12 said:
robo5 said:
Don't you have kids? ;) ;D

(ie: **I** wouldn't, but my kids are the ones who don't quite get the slider all the way engaged, or just walk away from the car because they're too busy doing something else... They're kids.)
YUP. I see double (twins) ;D haha
am12 said:
robo5 said:

Like I said 10-15 mins can run it down and yes, I have kids but It does take kids to keep the doors open for 10 mins. A perfect example is when the wife or I come home with a load of groceries, pull into the garage with the headlights on, take a few bags in, get distracted and 10-15 minutes have passed before you get back to the van. Result dead battery...
I know you said in your first post you said "it's not the battery". Yes from time to time my kids leave the lights on. The only time my battery went dead was when I had the key in the ON position for over 1 hour and I was playing a DVD so my headlights were on (canadian) as the stock was in the ON position. For a battery to die that fast I think the battery is to blame. How old is it? Was it tested recently? I have heard bad things around about these "micro-testers". Batteries may "seem" fine but under a load they will fail. For a "good" battery to go dead after 10-15 mins under moderate load.... I am still thinking it is the battery (shorted plates/surface discharge)
could this happen again if you dont make the modifications? Our dealer replaced the batt in my mom's Sienna 2 years ago because it died out of nowhere
I wonder if you could modify it so that it can be plugged in at home to a 110V in the garage, like what they have for RVs?
We just had this happen and our battery (Costco/Kirkland) was new about 9 months ago. Wife was unpacking many containers of art supplies and left the side door open for 45 mins; lights must have stayed on. I would welcome any advice on reprogramming the interior lights and headlight to turn off regardless of door position. 2005 XLE here.
I suggest making a mental note to MANUALLY turn on/off the lights as needed. After all, that's what we all did 20+ years ago before "automatic" lights became more popular. It will become a habit & second-nature.....like putting on the seatbelts or locking the doors, etc. Also, a quick "double-check" that all doors are shut and lights are off before leaving the car....whether away from home in a parking lot/on the street, or in your own garage at home (if available) is another good habit to have.

The direct replacement Costco battery (I forget what # it is) is higher-rated than the factory OEM Toyota battery, but you can actually use an even LARGER battery....as long as it physically fits and the terminals are accessible. I use a larger Costco #9 battery which has greater cranking power and reserve times. Unfortunately, the terminals are in swapped positions and the cables have to be pulled across and connector heads slightly bent/modified in order to connect properly. I also DIY-ed a block/spacer to help properly secure the battery to the existing tie-down bracket.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)
See less See more
**** Back to the original issue "2006- Battery Dies With Front Doors Open in 20 Minutes",

A lot of good advise on reducing the power drain has already been given .

As it relates to the battery itself, and to help with this issue I installed a sealed AGM style battery back in 2013 (X2 Power - Dual Purpose Deep Cycle , 24F size, 840 CCA unit). This unit is designed as a starting battery, (Wisconsin has cold winters), but has the deep cycle extra reserve so it does not drain out as quickly as a conventional lead acid unit. Although not inexpensive this unit seemed to help a lot, (along with some attention to not leave doors open, stereo playing while parked, Etc... (kids)). I have not had to deal with the dead battery issue since. I also get the comfort of having more reserve in cold weather starting conditions. I purchased this unit through Batteries Plus, but I am sure you can find a similar unit at retailers near you. So for what ist is worth this could be a part of your solution.
See less See more
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.