Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks great to be here! I’m completely new here and hoping for a rescue by way of your input! My ‘06 just started to shift sluggishly into 3rd while up shifting; I haven’t witnessed it myself yet my wife called me about it (I’m out of town) and explained the symptoms she sees. Any ideas? For what it’s worth, for a while the tranny has been giving a whining sound when upshifting through any gear, but only while still relatively cold.
Thanks so much for your time!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Change the fluid (drain and fill) and see if anything improves. What's your mileage, and like Roader asked, when was the ATF last changed? Let us know the condition of the fluid too. The fluid could also be low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the questions/input guys.....fluid last changed about 63,000 miles ago, but good color, good level and not burnt....took for a drive with local tranny expert and he surmised it’s definitely internal, possibly a valve, and needs rebuild....gonna take it to my favorite shop who will decide whether or not needs full rebuild or something less dramatic but, unlike most shops, these guys don’t jump to rebuild option right away....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for the questions/input guys.....fluid last changed about 63,000 miles ago, but good color, good level and not burnt....took for a drive with local tranny expert and he surmised it’s definitely internal, possibly a valve, and needs rebuild....gonna take it to my favorite shop who will decide whether or not needs full rebuild or something less dramatic but, unlike most shops, these guys don’t jump to rebuild option right away....
Wouldn't hurt to drop the pan, replace the filter, and do another couple more drain & fills with a few hundred or thousand miles in between. That fixed the sticky valve(s) in my trans. I used Valvoline Maxlife but most use genuine Toyota fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts