Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I noticed that in the winter time, when I turn the wheel in the morning, I hear the noise from the front wheel on driver side. Only in the morning time everyday, rest of the day I don't hear any noise.

What could be the cause of that? I know that my power steering fluid is leaking so I fill it up as needed once a while.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would guess it's something related to the cold temps and the cold start. If your PS is leaking, it's probably leaking past the seals in the rack and "washing" the thicker grease out of the inner tie rod joint. When cold, the joint would be dry and squeaky. The issue is, when the PS leaks into the tie rod boot, it usually disintegrates the boot after a bit of time. So, it's also possible that you got some grit in the joint. That said, there's also the possibility that it's something totally unrelated to the steering/tie rod(s). Turning the wheel makes the whole suspension move, so anything may be squeaking, really. I'd probably get it on a rack and have someone give the front end a once-over.

·
Registered
2020 Sienna LE
35 Posts
Not saying this will fix your noise but try some Lucas power steering stop leak. Its not some as seen on TV crappy snake oil, it really does work and might stop not only the leak but if the noise is related to the leak, it could take care of that too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I change out the power steering pump and resevoir... Junk yard parts, got it cheap. No problems.. Worked perfect.. Yes.. Had hard pump noise for a while.. Belt squealimg or pump screaming noise, sounded same, pump leaked. Lived with it for while till it pump stopped and boiled resevior.. Don't know.. Fixed and Running good

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Google "morning sickness". You will get answers to your question. My 2005 Sienna had the similar issue. The power steering fluid leaked and the rack and pinion boot was torn. I replaced the boot and refilled the PS with Lucas power steering stop leak. It has been four years after the repair. The noise did not come back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts