Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for reading this! I've noticed the following issue a few times. When I try to accelerate from a stop, sometimes the van takes about a second before it reacts-no engine revving and no moving for a second (as if the van were in neutral). Actually, I hit the gas, nothing happens so I take my foot off the gas and then try again and I'm able to move. The engine isn't stalling and my check engine light isn't on. This has only happened a few times but I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea of what could be wrong. I don't want to take it to a dealer and say "here's what happens but I have no idea what is wrong, please fix it" because I don't want them to take advantage of my lack of knowledge and charge me mega $$$. I've heard that this could be a crankshaft sensor problem but who knows what else it could be. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is fairly hard to answer just by what you gave us.
Did you have the van since new?
How many miles do you have on it?
What maintenance has been done?
Do you live in dusty area?
When was the air filter changed? (How many miles ago.)
Does it happen when car is warm, or just when it's cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the van a year ago at 101k miles. It now has 112k miles. We immediately replaced the timing belt because the dealer didn't have records for maintenance. Since buying the car I change the oil every 3k miles and check/top off the liquids when needed. No idea on the air filter, so I will check it and see if I should change/clean it. I don't live in a dusty area and the issue has happened twice when the car was warm and once when it was semi-cold (had only been running a couple minutes).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alright, that's a good start. Have you done the Transmission service yet? That could help with the problem too. Check the transmission dipstick and wipe the fluid on a white cloth/paper towel to see what color it is, and also try to smell it. The fluid should be red and it should have a "sweet" smell to it. The spark plugs should be done at 120k, but that also depends how "nice" the owner was to the car, they could be fouled. It is a very expensive service, only use OEM plugs. Your coolant should be replaced too, it's a 100k service, and ONLY use the the pink aka Super Long Life Coolant. When completely drained the van will take 2 gallons exactly. What oil do you use? Brand, weight, oil filter.
Btw. Unless the air filter is something like the K&N reusable, never clean/dust it etc. Denso is OEM for filters and spark plugs etc.
P.S. I have had a bad axle on mine when I bought it, had no idea, no sign of grease what so ever, so check that too.

Also, given it's very new to you, you could do fuel system cleaning (Techron 20 oz concentrate), throttle body, MAF. Seems like a lot, but that's the deal when buying used, on the upside the van will go another 100k easy, just maintenance a lots of tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't done the transmission service but the coolant was changed (along with the water pump) when the timing belt was changed. Air filter was pretty dirty so I put a new one in. I haven't noticed the issue since then. Now my cruise control is throwing the E3 code and my memory seats stopped working. Off to searching the forum for more tips! They say things come in 3s......

·
Registered
4 Posts
One of the things I noticed with our 05 Sienna was while coasting at a low speed (while turning a corner for example) there was a bit of a delay when I would hit the gas. I wouldn't really call it a hesitation as there was no sputter or stall, just the delay (one Mississippi, two Mississippi). Talked with the service manager at our dealership (who is a customer of mine) and he said it's simply a drive by wire issue. The gas pedal is connected to the computer and in some conditions it just won't respond immediately.

You may be correct in looking at a sensor. It may be taking the computer a while to respond from a dead stop if the sensor isn't pinging out info to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the things I noticed with our 05 Sienna was while coasting at a low speed (while turning a corner for example) there was a bit of a delay when I would hit the gas. I wouldn't really call it a hesitation as there was no sputter or stall, just the delay (one Mississippi, two Mississippi). Talked with the service manager at our dealership (who is a customer of mine) and he said it's simply a drive by wire issue. The gas pedal is connected to the computer and in some conditions it just won't respond immediately.

You may be correct in looking at a sensor. It may be taking the computer a while to respond from a dead stop if the sensor isn't pinging out info to it.

Tigrrr: I have the same exact problem. Did you ever find a solution?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts