Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!

Newbie here. I've read the posts n this Towing Forum until my eyeballs are bleeding with visions of Airlifts, Draw-Tites, suspensions, etc., and I'd like to clarify a few things with you experts.

I'm the second owner of my '07 Sienna and have put about 130,000 miles on it, for a total of 180,000. It runs great! I'm diligent about maintenance issues.

In about a year I hope to drive the Trans-Canada Highway in the Sienna, pulling a 12-foot, single-axle enclosed trailer that has my small motorcycle in it. Bike weighs about 275 lbs. Gear would add maybe an extra 300. I hope to be on the road for about a year, traveling around Canada, Alaska, and then the Lower 48.

I'm confident the car can pull the trailer. My problem is that I absolutely hate scraping the receiver tube. I had U-Haul install the hitch several years ago but am now wondering if it'd be worth it to change it to an in-bumper dealer OEM type, or try a Draw-Tite or TorkLift. Al I want is a few inches higher to keep it from scraping. Maybe I'm obsessing too much on that? It can't be good for the car, though!

Here's a photo. Like every one else, I only have about 8" of clearance from the ground to the bottom of the receiver.

Maybe, given the age of the car and the trip I'm planning, not even worth it at all? Lipstick on a pig? Perhaps I should get a newer/different vehicle?

Thanks for your ideas. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge I've found on this Forum. TIA!

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I know that there are options for a hitch with the cross-beam behind the bumper for the Gen-III vans (I used one), but not sure about the Gen-II vans. Like you, I had the exposed crossbeam and those outboard points regularly hit the sloped pavement of driveways and the like. The most practical solution for me was the Airlift bags.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that there are options for a hitch with the cross-beam behind the bumper for the Gen-III vans (I used one), but not sure about the Gen-II vans. Like you, I had the exposed crossbeam and those outboard points regularly hit the sloped pavement of driveways and the like. The most practical solution for me was the Airlift bags.
Thanks, Fibber2! I value your opinion and will look into the airlift bags. Scraping the driveway makes me nuts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully I am not too late to this, but I wouldn't go with the airlift brand. If you want something that's going to last you whole trip I would look into the firestone air bags. I also installed a built in air pump to air them up. I do have a 2015 so the years are diffrent but the coil is the same. I measured and fitted these ones to fit from the top to the bottom.
Screenshot_20190904-202059_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20190801-053646_Photos.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts