I have a 2007 Sienna Lmtd. Car has 51k miles.
I noticed that there are a COUPLE of drops of fluid formed on the Power Steering pump. There are NO drops on the driveway. I wiped them but a week later, they are new drops of fluid sitting there. So there is a small leak somewhere. To me it looks like it comes from the PS pump itself.
I took the car for some "recall" work to the local Toyota dealer and i asked them to check the "drops". An hour later, the service adviser calls me and tells me that my PS pump is not leaking - it is my steering rack that is leaking and that it will cost me$1,360
to get it fixed!!!
I told him that i don't have the money now and that i will do it a later time. This price just seems way too steep, plus this same guy also recommended a couple of other maintenance items that were already addressed 2 weeks ago!
He was simply lying on the phone telling me that i need this and that at 50k miles!
Not happy with him at all but this is a different topic.
Now, here are my questions...
1. Could it be just the power steering pump leaking and the guy trying to rip me off by selling me a new Rack and Pinion .... OR indeed, the leaking PS rack is a well know issue with the Sienna?? Even on 2007 model?
2. If it is a leaking PS rack ... should i be worried and address it ASAP, or it can wait as long as i check the fluid. So far, the car is not loosing much/if any fluid.
3. How hard is to replace the steering rack on these cars? I have all sorts of tools and i am DIY guy for the most part but i have never done a PS rack before on any car. Is this a doable home-garage project or i need a shop? Obviously, I will pay a shop for the alignment.
4. Same question but for the PS pump.... Has anyone done it? Any tricks? How hard is the PS fluid bleeding?
5. Any instructions, feedback, tips, advices are welcome. I am not paying the dealer $1300 to do this, even if i have to do it ASAP.+