Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on my third autozone oil pressure sensor and is about to change it again in about 2 years. I decided to go this time with a Toyota brand. Would this switch save me some time under the hood or has anyone used a Toyota OEM brand and is still experiencing the same problem with the oil light coming on ever so often.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My guess is that the switch is not the issue and you probably actually have low (or high) pressure. The correct approach would be to actually verify correct oil pressure before replacing the switch. However, from the sound of it, you replaced the switch twice already. It would still be worth throwing an exterior oil pressure gauge on it to get a reading. Assuming it's not the switch, it's likely a sludged up oil float/pan or, possibly, some blockages somewhere upstream. Way back (really WAY back) in the day, people used to add a half quart of kerosene to thin their oil for winter. Doing something like that may give enough of a solvent action to clean some stuff out. Or you could purchase a purpose-made product (i.e. seafoam), but those tend to have ONLY anecdotal stories supporting them. If you opt for the kerosene route, you would want to drain the old oil, add fresh oil with kerosene, start the engine, idle up to operating temp, then shut it down and change the oil/filter. Alternately, you could just try running 5w20 or even 0w20 to see if thinner oil helps at all.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Have you checked the wiring to the sensor? It might be picked or grounded along the way.

x2 on hooking up a mechanical gauge or an electric gauge with numeric pressure display.

Would you mess with oil viscosity when oil pressure drives VVT?

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 202K miles

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
608 Posts
If you opt for the kerosene route, you would want to drain the old oil, add fresh oil with kerosene, start the engine, idle up to operating temp, then shut it down and change the oil/filter. Alternately, you could just try running 5w20 or even 0w20 to see if thinner oil helps at all.
If the OP has a '08, they'd have the 2GR-FE engine, which on my '14 specs 0W-20 already, so I would imagine being the same engine it would spec 0W-20 on the OP's engine already?

EDIT: Weird. Yes, the '08 has a 2GR-FE engine, but the owner's manual specifies 5W-30. My '14 also has a 2GR-FE, but the owner's manual not only specifies 0W-20, but says you can use 5W-20 if 0W-20 is not available, and must replace it with 0W-20 at the next oil change. Further, the 10,000 mile oil change spec in the Warranty Guide for my 2014 is only for 0W-20, as it says replace the engine oil at 5000 miles if 0W-20 was not used on the previous oil change.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If the OP has a '08, they'd have the 2GR-FE engine, which on my '14 specs 0W-20 already, so I would imagine being the same engine it would spec 0W-20 on the OP's engine already?

EDIT: Weird. Yes, the '08 has a 2GR-FE engine, but the owner's manual specifies 5W-30. My '14 also has a 2GR-FE, but the owner's manual not only specifies 0W-20, but says you can use 5W-20 if 0W-20 is not available, and must replace it with 0W-20 at the next oil change. Further, the 10,000 mile oil change spec in the Warranty Guide for my 2014 is only for 0W-20, as it says replace the engine oil at 5000 miles if 0W-20 was not used on the previous oil change.
Gen 2 was the transition period for oils. Up until the late 90s, all cars required 10w30 or 10w40 down south. As they get tighter manufacturing tolerances, the thicker oils tend to result in things like valve/lifter noise on cold starts. The fix (as issued by TSB) is often to switch to a thinner oil. At some point, that TSB becomes the standard requirement. I think even the early Gen2s (with the 3.3L) can use 5w20 or 0w20. We're finally getting back to the days when you just dump whatever oil into your car and it works just fine.

·
Registered
'04 XLE-L 2WD
1,131 Posts
Yes, the '08 has a 2GR-FE engine, but the owner's manual specifies 5W-30. My '14 also has a 2GR-FE, but the owner's manual not only specifies 0W-20, but says you can use 5W-20 if 0W-20 is not available...
The thinner oil switch was due to EPA CAFE gas mileage standards tightening, not due to any engine mechanical changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts