Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I made it back in one piece. :) No big problems with the voyage run. A few things though that I would like to ask about. With the Reese Mini 350, is there a trick to getting the bars into place without such a struggle? The guy at the dealership had a heck of time getting them in place, and when I got back and tried to unhook I had the same issue.
Before leaving the dealership lot I tried to complete the Prodigy setup. It seemed like the controller was not "recognizing" that the camper was hooked up. It was giving the ". ." on the display which according to the manual means there's power to the controller but the trailer is not hooked up. If I would go back and unplug the 7-pole and plug back in, it would recognize it for about 2 minutes and then go back to ". ." Anyway after trying that 4 times it gave me the ".c." display and worked the entire 100 mile trip home. Any ideas?
Also, at speeds between 20-40mph, if I went over a little bump, it seemed like the van was bouncing quite a bit...almost like there was someone jumping on the back bumper. At highway speeds the bouncing wasn't noticeable at all. Could this be a product of the PSI in the Airlift bags? I remember reading somewhere about the PSI for the Airlift bags when towing...but it escapes me right now.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
If the spring bars require a lot of force to lift into place, the head may be tilted too far back, pivoting the bars down too far, meaning they need to be lifted too much (and are applying too much force). One Unusual feature of that hitch (if I'm picturing the right one) is that the bars ride on top of the trailer tongue; with the normal hanging-from-chains setup the chains attach to lift brackets, which are used with a lever to make it easier to engage them.

A common trick - which I suspect people usually use because they are applying too much force with their spring bars - is to raise the trailer tongue and hitch by cranking the tongue jack up after coupling, which makes the angle of the spring bars higher so they are easier to engage.

The electrical connection situation sounds like it might be contacts in the plug or socket which need to be connected and disconnected a few times to scrape the contact areas for better contact.

The minimum pressure for the nearly identical Coil-Rite bags is 5 psi (to keep then seated in the coils), with a 30 psi (I think) maximum. They should be adjusted to bring the suspension back up near the unloaded height, but definitely not higher than that and not to exceed that maximum rated pressure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks brian_bp,
Now that I hear the explanations it makes sense. When I was unhooking I uncoupled the hitch from the ball first and then tried to get the bars off. I finally figured that the angles just weren't right and re-coupled and kept cranking the wheel higher and higher til the bars came free. So now it makes sense, stay coupled to the van, crank high, remove bars, then uncouple.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts