Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
184 Posts
Yes the Chrysler 3.6 pentastar did have some rear head problems which Chrysler knows about, Chrysler is currently replacing the rear head for no cost with the new updated one, it only affected 1% of the engines, the head design was changed in mid 2012 when they learned about the issue. The oil hose issues is a new one that i've never heard of, does it affect Toyota's 3.5 V6 motor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really, Chrysler minivans are crap? I'll let you know that I keep vehicles for a long time (until their ready for the graveyard), and my 04 3.3 currently has 182,000 kms (approx 111,000 miles) and the reliability is great. Infact I've seen these Chrysler vans go 2-300,000 miles with little maintenance. I know many people who do own these vans with high mileage.

Use cheaper materials??? The materials in the 2011+ caravans are really a step up from the 08-10's, even better than the current sienna's interiors. I find the 2011+ Toyota engines make a lot of noise too, I like the cheaper price and I have no problem with the depreciation because I don't plan on selling my van, and if I want say a 03 DGC sport with 100,000 miles,I can get it for $3,000, whereas a 2004 sienna with 115,000 miles go for say $8,000 which is outrageous for a van nearly 10 years old. Now with the STOW-N-GO you do lose a bit of comfort, which I understand. Point is the Chrysler vans are not as bad as they sound, in fact they are great vehicles to have and I know many people who own them and have had great experiences. Remember the tranny issues are a thing of the 90's and have vastly improved over the years, plus don't think that Chrysler is like who they were before, they are a much better company now. Planning on buying a new Wrangler and caravan for the 2014 model year.

Call me when your $40k sienna breaks down at the side of the road and will need $$$ to fix.
I think you missed my point. The Chryslers are adequate vehicles. The Toyotas are better. I expressed my reasons for why, which are generally accepted as correct. Are you seriously going to argue that a Chrysler vehicle is every bit as good as a Toyota?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
siennabase;1195962....The oil hose issues is a new one that i've never heard of said:
Yes the Oil hose issue only applies to the 3.5L engine (years 2007 and above). The original hose was rubber, now it's metal. Search for "vvti oil line" on this website and you'll get plenty of additional information.

Regards, JC.

·
Banned
184 Posts
At work we have the occasional pleasure(comparatively speaking) to
rent and drive mini-vans(instead of econolines) in recent years we've
had the new Dodge/Chrysler line up. Most of these have less than 15000k
miles on them, I even had one with just 2000miles.

The fit and finish of the interiors, and all the little gizmo's are fancy(toyota
has some of the same on the XLE) but I can tell you more often than
not, something was wrong with these "new" vans several had broken
motorized side doors. I liked how many of them drove etc. I attribute
the broken items to being a rental van, and probably someone forcing
it open or shut.

Anyway I was set on getting a Town and Country or Caravan(love the stow and go)
That was until we drove a 04 sienna, I was blown away by the difference
in handling(04 vs 2013) power and refinement. It just felt better, and I
was able to overlook the stow and go.

And frankly there is a reason that an 04 sienna with 80,000 miles sells for
around 7-8k, and a 04 caravan sells for $2500.

It's not because it says Toyota on the front(maybe if it said Ferrari)
you aren't paying for a name, you are paying for quality.
(must be a good reason we had 4 or 5 Siennas sold from under our
noses while we looked, glad they were cause we got a good deal in the end)

I still miss my 91 Astro.. While it didn't drive like the Sienna, it could haul a ton(and haul-a$$, it was a H.O. version)
Well regardless the Sienna and Caravan/T&C are great and good looking vans, better than the uglyssey any day....
The Stow-N-Go feature on the Grand caravan/T&C are awesome, but the only problem to come from it is you lose a bit of comfort because they need to be light so it can be easy to stow. Even us guys with Chrysler minivans can admit that its not too comfterble, Most of them prefer the full size buckets rather than the middle Stow-N-Go for comfort, which is totally understandable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never owned a Chrysler minivan, but I have owned Ford and Toyota minivans. (We did have a Chrysler car which we had to overhaul its engine when I was growing up. I just assumed that it was something that had to be done to any car) The quality difference is not even in the same ball park. We just traded in our boring (no mechanical issues whatsoever) 10 year old Sienna with 2014 Sienna.

My local mechanics complain that they don't see us at all except at inspection time. They love Chrysler vehicles. My current next door neighbor has GC and she has had many issues with the van. I remember that my friend had a GC some years back and the dang thing was in the shop more than in his driveway.

I also find that most companies don't produce a string of crappy products then all of sudden start to produce remarkable products. At least Chrysler can't be accused of being inconsistent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To the OP, get the Dodge GC. In this time of economic stress, it is very important to help our local mechanics and protect their livelihood. Otherwise, they won't be around when we need them.;D

·
Banned
184 Posts
I never owned a Chrysler minivan, but I have owned Ford and Toyota minivans. (We did have a Chrysler car which we had to overhaul its engine when I was growing up. I just assumed that it was something that had to be done to any car) The quality difference is not even in the same ball park. We just traded in our boring (no mechanical issues whatsoever) 10 year old Sienna with 2014 Sienna.

My local mechanics complain that they don't see us at all except at inspection time. They love Chrysler vehicles. My current next door neighbor has GC and she has had many issues with the van. I remember that my friend had a GC some years back and the dang thing was in the shop more than in his driveway.

I also find that most companies don't produce a string of crappy products then all of sudden start to produce remarkable products. At least Chrysler can't be accused of being inconsistent.
Funny I'm a big contributor to the Chrysler minivan forum, and many of them have said that they are some great vans, with many of them having little to no problems. We own a 2004 Caravan 3.3 and has been an excellent van for the last 6 years we have owned it, couldn't have asked for anything better. The biggest problem we have ever had with it is the radiator leaking, and the blower motor going out. Other than that just regular maintenance items. Maybe if they do the right maintenance they will be as reliable as their Toyota. If you don't like Chrysler minivans that's fine, but lone and behold they can be as reliable as your Toyota sienna. Remember the tranny failures are a thing of the past. The only big thing I see with the Toyota minivans are the AWD. At this point we regret buying the base model sienna and should've gone with a loaded caravan for $30,000. Let me know when your $40k van has problems

·
Banned
184 Posts
To the OP, get the Dodge GC. In this time of economic stress, it is very important to help our local mechanics and protect their livelihood. Otherwise, they won't be around when we need them.;D
Wonder what van the OP got, he never replied back

21 - 29 of 29 Posts