Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
140K miles. 2008 Sienna XLE.

My van is way overdue for a spark plug change and this past weekend was my only free weekend available so I went for it. I followed the steps to remove everything to access the back three spark plugs. I bought 6 new ignition coils (Toyota 90919-A2007) as well as 6 news spark plugs (Bosch 9615 Double Iridium) and also replaced the intake manifold gaskets. I wanted to change out the valve cover gasket too but I was beyond frustrated with the process of removing the back spark plugs so I didn't attempt it. I replaced all of the spark plugs and ignition coils. I put everything back together but when I turned the key to start up the car, it quickly died. Several attempts resulted in the same outcome with the CEL as well as the TRAC OFF and VSC lighting up.

I decided to put the old front 3 ignition coils back in since it was an easy swap and the car started up. It wasn't the smoothest start but it idled without dying. I checked the error codes and they are P0351, P0353, and P0355. Bad ignition coil code coming from the (new) ones in the back. I tried to put in 1 new ignition coil back again in the front (1 new & 2 old coils) and car the started up but had a very rough idle.

Any ideas? Did I get 6 faulty new ignition coils? I purchased these ignition coils on eBay so could they be counterfeit even though they were in Genuine Toyota boxes and labels? Is my next step to take everything out again and put all 6 old ignition coils back in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Try swapping out one of the old front coils for one of the new coils. If it gives you a code telling you that you have 4 misfires now then you will know the new coils are junk. Were they severely discounted on ebay?

Also, I've always heard that Denso or NGK plugs are the best to use for these engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try swapping out one of the old front coils for one of the new coils. If it gives you a code telling you that you have 4 misfires now then you will know the new coils are junk. Were they severely discounted on ebay?

Also, I've always heard that Denso or NGK plugs are the best to use for these engines.
Just swapped it and yeah the error code is showing up for the specific new coil location. And yes they were severely discounted but everything on it appeared to be a genuine OEM part.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just swapped it and yeah the error code is showing up for the specific new coil location. And yes they were severely discounted but everything on it appeared to be a genuine OEM part.
Sorry, RIP your free time.
At least you can get a refund, ebay is very buyer friendly for this kind of stuff.
Now you need to decide if the cost is worth it to you to replace coils w/ OEM or throw the old ones back on. I'm on all original coils and original rear plugs in my 08 w/ 170K miles and zero problems. That rear bank sounds like such a chore, I plan on running original until it starts giving me and issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, never buy auto parts from Ebay. Not worth the time as you have found out. I know because I've done the rear spark plugs before. I would get new coils and put them in considering how hard it is to get to them. Although I would of used Denso spark plugs. Rockauto.com is a popular place to get parts and has the Denso coils for $53.79 each.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, RIP your free time.
At least you can get a refund, ebay is very buyer friendly for this kind of stuff.
Now you need to decide if the cost is worth it to you to replace coils w/ OEM or throw the old ones back on. I'm on all original coils and original rear plugs in my 08 w/ 170K miles and zero problems. That rear bank sounds like such a chore, I plan on running original until it starts giving me and issue.
They definitely are a chore but I guess I'm an expert now having taken it all apart twice now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, never buy auto parts from Ebay. Not worth the time as you have found out. I know because I've done the rear spark plugs before. I would get new coils and put them in considering how hard it is to get to them. Although I would of used Denso spark plugs. Rockauto.com is a popular place to get parts and has the Denso coils for $53.79 each.
I just ordered Denso coils and Denso plugs just to be safe. I've ordered from Rockauto before but that's what I get for trying to find a deal on ebay.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I still have original coils at 140k miles and spark plugs were changed at 120k. When I get close to 240k, my plan is to put three new OEM coils in front and run it for a few thousand miles or so. Then, when I do the plugs I will swap the slightly used coils into the back and either put the old coils back in front or put new ones in front. This way, I can test out the coils before installing in the rear.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
140K miles. 2008 Sienna XLE.

My van is way overdue for a spark plug change and this past weekend was my only free weekend available so I went for it. I followed the steps to remove everything to access the back three spark plugs. I bought 6 new ignition coils (Toyota 90919-A2007) as well as 6 news spark plugs (Bosch 9615 Double Iridium) and also replaced the intake manifold gaskets. I wanted to change out the valve cover gasket too but I was beyond frustrated with the process of removing the back spark plugs so I didn't attempt it. I replaced all of the spark plugs and ignition coils. I put everything back together but when I turned the key to start up the car, it quickly died. Several attempts resulted in the same outcome with the CEL as well as the TRAC OFF and VSC lighting up.

I decided to put the old front 3 ignition coils back in since it was an easy swap and the car started up. It wasn't the smoothest start but it idled without dying. I checked the error codes and they are P0351, P0353, and P0355. Bad ignition coil code coming from the (new) ones in the back. I tried to put in 1 new ignition coil back again in the front (1 new & 2 old coils) and car the started up but had a very rough idle.

Any ideas? Did I get 6 faulty new ignition coils? I purchased these ignition coils on eBay so could they be counterfeit even though they were in Genuine Toyota boxes and labels? Is my next step to take everything out again and put all 6 old ignition coils back in?

Thanks.
Just replaced our spark plugs (2011 Sienna) yesterday, with plugs and other parts purchased off of e-bay. When we first started it up, van started, then died and gave multiple error codes. We thought we had re-connected every electrical connection, then found 2 we had missed. Now - runs like a champ! So, from my experience...are you absolutely 100% certain that you have firmly re-connected every electrical connection? If so...don't know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've owned two Toyota Siennas, 2004 and 2005 and never had to replace the coils on either one approaching 200K miles. I recommend re-installing the OEM coils back until such a time when you get an engine code pointing to a bad one, which I don't believe will happen any time soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also make sure the electrical connectors to the coils click when you install them. If they are loose, they will cause problems with misfiring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don’t dismiss the idea of counterfeit spark plugs also. Epidemic now. And since people will return the fake ones, even honest stores may have the junk ones in inventory. Look for guides on how to ID them. I’ve gotten them from RA, Amazon, even the local parts counter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A previous poster mentioned a missed electrical connection. I recall a similar thread where the same problem occurred after spark plugs were replaced. The connection that was missed caused the fuel pump to not work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all. The issue has been resolved!

I was able to return the "OEM Toyota" coils back to the eBay seller without any issues. As I mentioned earlier, all 6 "OEM Toyota" coils were found to be defective (counterfeit?) when I put the old coils back in and swapped a few of the new "OEM Toyota" coils. Every one of those "OEM Toyota" coils that I swapped-in gave error codes for that specific coil location. I went ahead and bought 6 new Denso coils and plugs and received them this past Friday. I installed the Denso coils and plugs on Saturday and re-installed the intake manifold as well as re-connected all of the hoses. I fired up the car and it immediately died again. No codes were displayed though. I'm thinking to myself, "What did I do wrong this time?!?!" I didn't install the metal cowling, wiper motor, etc. yet because I didn't want to put everything back on only to find out that it still didn't work. I then remembered that I unplugged the fuel pump resister because it was still attached to the metal cowling that I removed. I installed the metal cowling and plugged the fuel pump resistor and van came back to life!

Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A previous poster mentioned a missed electrical connection. I recall a similar thread where the same problem occurred after spark plugs were replaced. The connection that was missed caused the fuel pump to not work.
Bingo. That's what happened to me when I installed new Denso coils and plugs but still couldn't get the car running. I forgot that the fuel pump resistor was attached to the metal cowling and needed to be re-connected.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts