Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 08 Sienna LE, after completing a front strut replacement, I cant seem to properly torque the lower 2 bolts on neither side, Mi question is, do I need to use a breaker bar to try and tighten them more..?

Will they break if do that.?

*I replaced the originals (228,000 miles) with KYB'S

·
Registered
561 Posts
I own an 08 Sienna LE, after completing a front strut replacement, I cant seem to properly torque the lower 2 bolts on neither side, Mi question is, do I need to use a breaker bar to try and tighten them more..?

Will they break if do that.?

*I replaced the originals (228,000 miles) with KYB'S
When I did it, I got them "as tight as I could." My torque wrench only goes up to 125 ft. lbs. and I think the spec is 155 ft. lbs. I put a pipe on my torque wrench, barely buried the needle, then put my regular 1/2" ratchet on there and tightened it further. You'll need an alignment afterwards, so there's small comfort knowing they will probably have to loosen and tighten and properly torque the nuts anyway. You can ask them to torque them down even if it ends up somehow perfect and needs no adjustment.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The spec IS 155ft-lbs - you can approximate by putting 77 ft-lbs on a 2-ft breaker bar, or 103lbs on a 1.5 ft breaker bar, etc., etc. ad nauseum. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
The spec IS 155ft-lbs - you can approximate by putting 77 ft-lbs on a 2-ft breaker bar, or 103lbs on a 1.5 ft breaker bar, etc., etc. ad nauseum. :)
Does this mean an infinitely short breaker bar would require infinite torque? :unsure:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Went for a wheel alignment after installing my struts, the were able to finish the job and back on the road, the KYB struts I installed are working just fine!

They also tightened the rack and pinion bolts which were somewhat loose, no more clanking or bangs any more..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts