Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a mechanic change my spark plugs, ignition coils and plenum. Now the van idles high (1500 rpm) when I fist start it. After a minute or two it drops to 1000 rpm then after 5 min or so drops to 600 - 700. I didn't note how it was before the work, but it sounds higher to me now after the work. Also, after completing the job a whole bunch of new codes showed up on the mechanics reader. He eventually discovered a wiring harness needed to be replaced. I'm not sure if he knocked it lose while doing the job.

Is there any way to lower the idle? Or, should I just not worry about it. The work was done over a week ago. I tried a quick fix trick of turning the key on and off twice, then starting the engine, setting e brake, puting in drive and letting sit for 10 min to no avail. The van has 145,000 miles.

Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ditto. Mine will idle up to 1700rpm (depending on the ambient temperature) at first then eventually drop down to ~600.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I forgot to plug the maf sensor in after doing some work and got several codes immediately,
Cleared them and
It acted similar for a few days to what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought this van several months ago and I'm in the process of getting use to it. I had another weird issue recently. I'm not sure if I should start a new post. A few days ago when I started it and drove, a bell chimed similar to the seat belt bell and the light came on the radio that the air bag was off. After stopping and starting the van a few times it went off and hasn't come back on. My concern is that the mechanic that did the plugs and coils also ended up replacing a wiring harness. He did not instill any trust or confidence in me. So, now I'm worried that he messed something up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I believe the air bag off warning light comes on when the weigh sensor decides the passenger seat is occupied but the seat belt isn't fastened. When I pick up a back of chicken feed, it does the same thing. It's possible that the specific wire harness had a relationship with that system, but, if it was in the engine bay, I doubt it. Is it possible that someone removed a seat (for detailing the vehicle?) and didn't quite get the plugs reconnected or maybe pushed one of the pins back accidentally?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure BillG if that seat was ever removed. I've only had the van for a couple of months. It only happened once about a week ago which is even more confusing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, also, I've removed the two middle seats a month ago, but there are no wires attached to them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oh, also, I've removed the two middle seats a month ago, but there are no wires attached to them.
The middle seats are fine to remove and replace, at will. My guess is that, before you bought it, someone detailed the car. It may be as simple as the wire block is not quite clicked back in. Driving around vibrations may have caused it to pop slightly loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts