Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2009 Sienna LE passenger sliding door is sticking intermittently when opening. Push any button (or from outside latch) and the door unlatches and sticks before sliding.

It's NOT the actuator motor, all my cables are intact, and it's not related to the door lock. It's also not the 'pop' noise problem.

Initially, I was sure that it must be the actuator motor, bought it from Digikey and was proceeding to replace it. I pulled the handle cover off (first step in process) and watched the actuator work. It ALWAYS works fine.

Opened/closed the door repeatedly for like 20 minutes and watched the workings.

The actuator always works fine. The door or a latch seems to get caught just after the actuator operates and pushes the rotating cam mechanism. Comparing with the driver's side, there is a distinct clunk when it gets stuck and a distinct bumping sound often, but not always, even when it doesn't get stuck. Sometimes when it's working okay, there's no abnormal sound at all (quiet, like the driver side door).

I tried pushing down on the 3 cables with a screwdriver, where they attach (effectively shortening them slightly. No difference.

I thought the rear latch was 'catching' or dirty inside, so I sprayed it liberally with silicone lube, same with front latch. I also sprayed the rear slider hinge. None of it seemed to help.

Pushing outward, on the inside of the door, almost anywhere gets the door to get past the 'catch' with the bump noise. Doing this, I can feel the 'catch' and the door moving past it; but can't figure out where it is. Seems to be towards the rear of the door. Pushing upward seems to eliminate the bump noise and make it work right. I tried adjusting the rear body mounted latch plate upward (but it didn't seem to have any adjustment range designed in); but that didn't make any difference. I also sprayed the lower latch plate area on the door and under the mating area under the body.

I visually compared the driver and passenger doors, hinges, etc. and don't see any differences (no damage, nothing bent).

Has anyone noticed this problem and figured out a solution? I couldn't find a relevant post here on siennachat.

At the moment, it's back to working fine (i.e. quietly) but I fully expect it to start acting up again. It's been like this off and on for at least 6 to 12 months (wife's car, not mine).

Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check your rollerbearings on the rear glide rail. Mine were wore out to the point the outer ring of the bearing was flat and to the point of being non existent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your rollerbearings on the rear glide rail. Mine were wore out to the point the outer ring of the bearing was flat and to the point of being non existent.
I know this has been awhile, but this sounds like exactly what the problem with mine could be. Any pics where this roller bearing is located on the rear glide rail? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts