Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. first time doing brakes on the Sienna.

I did search but I can't find what I'm looking for and in a bit of a panic.

I've got the disc somewhat free, but I can not get the drum/disc around to be able to get at the adjuster to release the emergency brake.

I saw a very nice video of a FWD version. But with the AWD is the rear axle restricting my movement of the drum/disc? why can't I turn it.. I wouldn't think you need both rear wheels free?

I've been trying to persuade it out with the adjusters. but don't want to push it.

How do you rotate the drum/disc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok.. I got the drum/ disc to rotate.

I still have a problem with getting to the little adjuster.. I finally got the drum off but it was not easy.

Is there a trick to backing off the adjusters?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So how did you get the drum/disc to rotate? I'm in the same boat as you. Did you have to lift all four wheels off the ground or was there some other method?

·
Registered
5 Posts
For posterity: with AWD, both back wheels turn together and are not locked to the front wheels. So to position a rear wheel so the hole in the rotor is at the bottom, allowing you to access the star-shaped sprocket that loosens the shoes: put the side you're working on up on a jackstand, jack up the other side so both rear wheels are off the ground, and turn the rotor. Once the rotor hole on the working side is where you want it, you can easily lower the other side and finish the job with just one wheel off the ground.

Another note for posterity: the shoe adjustment star-shaped sprocket rotates differently on the left and right sides of the car. If on one side you rotate the sprocket towards you to loosen the brake shoe, rotate it away from you to loosen the shoe on the other side. You'll figure this out eventually even without reading this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts