Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Sienna LE 3.5L FWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I will start this off with saying I am no mechanic so please forgive me if I have misstated something. I just like to try and fix things myself. Just thought I would post about the recent situation I had with my wife's sienna in hopes that it may help someone. The A/C over time started to blow warmer. The coldest it would get was around 70° f. (100° days) The gauge readings while running would be Low side 80 and High side 250. (Outside temp of ~100°) . The gauges would slowly equalize once the engine was stopped. This seemed like there was a restriction in the system so I replaced both expansion valves and the problem is now resolved.
Audio equipment Gas Auto part Circle Machine

(New vs. Old valve)

As you can see the old valve is quite dirty and visually appears to be partially stuck closed. (Front and rear valves looked the same). Not sure if this is a valid test or not but once removed I simply tried blowing through the small inlet and it was very restricted.

Expansion valves I ordered from RA:
DENSO 4752105 Rear
DENSO 4752106 Front

Expansion Valve locations: (NOTE: Refrigerant must be completely evacuated before doing this job)
Front - Just behind the intake manifold. I had to remove the windshield wipers, wiper assembly and the metal tray that the wiper assembly mounts to.
Rear - The entire rear passenger side panel has to be removed to gain access to the A/C blower assembly. See picture below.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Steering part

(Valve is up under this assembly approx where the arrow is pointing)

I ended up replacing the valves myself which took a few hours and lots of patience. The rear valve is fairly easy to replace after removing the entire blower/evaporator assembly. I also managed to replace the front valve without having to remove the intake. After the valves were replaced I had the system vacuumed and recharged. Hope this helps someone out there.

Adding in post repair gauge readings: Low 43-45 High 225

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna All Wheel Drive LTD XLE. The A/C is hot on the drivers side, but cool on the passenger side ! Is there an easy fix for this ? I also have lost my power steering. There are drips spots on our driveway. So I put in a container of sealer. It came back for a short time. Now it is like driving a truck. Any quick fixes for this other than replacing the pump ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello everyone! I will start this off with saying I am no mechanic so please forgive me if I have misstated something. I just like to try and fix things myself. Just thought I would post about the recent situation I had with my wife's sienna in hopes that it may help someone. The A/C over time started to blow warmer. The coldest it would get was around 70° f. (100° days) The gauge readings while running would be Low side 80 and High side 250. (Outside temp of ~100°) . The gauges would slowly equalize once the engine was stopped. This seemed like there was a restriction in the system so I replaced both expansion valves and the problem is now resolved.
View attachment 57474
(New vs. Old valve)

As you can see the old valve is quite dirty and visually appears to be partially stuck closed. (Front and rear valves looked the same). Not sure if this is a valid test or not but once removed I simply tried blowing through the small inlet and it was very restricted.

Expansion valves I ordered from RA:
DENSO 4752105 Rear
DENSO 4752106 Front

Expansion Valve locations: (NOTE: Refrigerant must be completely evacuated before doing this job)
Front - Just behind the intake manifold. I had to remove the windshield wipers, wiper assembly and the metal tray that the wiper assembly mounts to.
Rear - The entire rear passenger side panel has to be removed to gain access to the A/C blower assembly. See picture below.
View attachment 57501
(Valve is up under this assembly approx where the arrow is pointing)

I ended up replacing the valves myself which took a few hours and lots of patience. The rear valve is fairly easy to replace after removing the entire blower/evaporator assembly. I also managed to replace the front valve without having to remove the intake. After the valves were replaced I had the system vacuumed and recharged. Hope this helps someone out there.

Adding in post repair gauge readings: Low 43-45 High 225

Chris
looks like a lot of work. Are you a mechanic ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts