Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Sienna LE AWD is in trouble. It has 215,000 KM (135,000 miles). All records since new, religiously maintained. Driving across Canada, started misfiring near Winnipeg, brought it to the dealer, they said to change the plugs. They charged $650! Because they had to remove the rear cowling. I continued to misfire. They suspected bad gas, I left fuming.

Brought it to an independent, he suggested to change the coils BUT did a compression test, 0 compression in #6 cylinder. Likely culprit is a broken valve spring. He disconnected the coil and injector, I drove another 1000 km home running fairly well on 5 cylinders. I phoned the dealer I bought it from, the service manager said I was at twice the warranty mileage, so no warranty help.

Final analysis: $4,000 to repair the head ( 2 shops quoted 30 hours labour). Chain driven dual cam shaft is a pain to remove, head has to be rebuilt and no guarantee it won't happen again. Other option is an engine swap. We might have a Lexus RX 350 engine with 4000 km available. Total cost there is $5000. Sigh.....

Lexus recalled this engine on earlier models due to faulty valve springs. I suspect this is the same issue.

Suggestions? Call Toyota Canada to bitch and holler? Fix it? Swap engine? I got 200000 out of it, I should be happy?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Broken valve spring
$4,000 to repair the head... engine swap $5000. Sigh.....
If the block's OK I'd buy a salvage yard head $100, gaskets and bolts $100 and maybe a timing chain/water pump kit. Then spend a weekend reading and turning bolts. Think of it as earning $3500 over the weekend.
Beware, you might learn something.🙀

·
Registered
55 Posts
that's a tough call; with that many miles; I'd opt for an engine swap if the body is in good shape; 2011 is a relatively new sienna; I got 13 years out of my 2006 but traded it in with 105,000 miles on it; stuff was failing with regularity and I need to transport a wheelchair bound child in it so having a reliable van here in the Phoenix desert was important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts